General Combat Sports Dodginess

wandshogun09

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I try to remind myself that we're not likely to see the most intelligent or knowledgeable insights from people who make a living from getting punched in the head.

i beg to differ:

vp9mymahnlw81.jpg.30780fcab2942e13c99cf5fc92b40319.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Again, it's a sport where two people step into a cage and batter the living shit out of each other. As much as I hate to quote Uncle D, "it is what it is."

Cage fighting will never attract the more civilised and cerebral sections of society, and we either need to make peace with that or switch off. I intentionally try not to watch or read anything about fighters unless it's build up to a bout or fight-related. If I delved into the personal opinions and actions of these guys (and girls) I'd not enjoy the sport and wouldn't want to watch.

It's been said before, but quite honestly, this little sub-section of a UK-based pro wrestling forum is legitimately the best MMA discussion platform on the planet. Nowhere else even comes close. It really is an oasis on a toxic MMA planet.

• Paid Members

I get what you’re saying David and I agree with it. It’s a nice thought to be able to just make peace with it, block out all the shittiness and just focus solely on the fights themselves. It’s much much easier said than done though. We’re not robots and part of following a sport like MMA or Boxing is finding out who your favourites and least favourites are. And with that obviously comes learning more about them. I find it hard to not let fighter’s personalities or views seep into my opinions. I’m too deep into this shit now. And even if you’re looking to just consume fight hype stuff, you can’t escape some of this other stuff getting to you. In an individual sport like MMA or Boxing, I find it’s almost impossible to not get drawn into the personality side of things, for good or bad. You’re not rooting for or against a team, a shirt or the team colours. You’re rooting for a specific name, maybe a fighting style, a personality, a person.

But if you’re trying to avoid the dirty underbelly of combat sports, I would say opening a thread named ‘General Combat Sports Dodginess’ might not be a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I get what you’re saying David and I agree with it. It’s a nice thought to be able to just make peace with it, block out all the shittiness and just focus solely on the fights themselves. It’s much much easier said than done though. We’re not robots and part of following a sport like MMA or Boxing is finding out who your favourites and least favourites are. And with that obviously comes learning more about them. I find it hard to not let fighter’s personalities or views seep into my opinions. I’m too deep into this shit now. And even if you’re looking to just consume fight hype stuff, you can’t escape some of this other stuff getting to you. In an individual sport like MMA or Boxing, I find it’s almost impossible to not get drawn into the personality side of things, for good or bad. You’re not rooting for or against a team, a shirt or the team colours. You’re rooting for a specific name, maybe a fighting style, a personality, a person.

But if you’re trying to avoid the dirty underbelly of combat sports, I would say opening a thread named ‘General Combat Sports Dodginess’ might not be a good idea. 

I guess saying that I try to avoid it is the wrong way of describing it. I guess I just try not to let it bother me as much as it may have in the past. Maybe I'm just getting older and MMA plays less a part in my existence than it did years ago.

I'm generally happy now to just stick on an event, forward through the fights I have no interest in and watch the ones I like the look of. The days of me scouring the internet for interviews with fighters or Dana and watching press conferences etc are largely gone. 

I'll still read about them, and see info on socials etc, but I don't let it bother me as much. Is my memories of Jose Aldo going to be spoiled due to his political views? Nah. 

I'll still see snippets of Paddy Pimblett being a wee knob and when he fights I'll hope he gets sparked, but I'm not as bothered as I used to be. 

• Paid Members

well said David 👍

I've always followed combat sports as a soap opera of sorts, I follow the good, the bad, the ugly of it all but i'm detached from it enough to not take shit personally or get offended, I don't know any of these people, their all characters in a pretty fucked up entertainment form for me. 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah I’m going that way myself but to a lesser extent. I still put myself through the torture of watching most of the fights, even the shite undercard Apex ones. Maybe one day I’ll wean myself off. But I don’t watch nearly as much content as I used to outside the actual fights on the night. I catch the odd interview but I realised recently I haven’t watched a Countdown show in forever. I honestly can’t remember the last one I watched. I’ve skipped Embedded the last few times as well. It’s basically just the press conference, the odd interview and short clips of the weigh in for me now. And even that stuff depends on the fight. I think a lot of it is just having less time since the kids came along but it’s probably as much to do with not giving as much of a shite what most of these divs have to say. I guess it’s a sign we’re maturing. As we post on a pro wrestling forum 😂

1 hour ago, David said:

It's been said before, but quite honestly, this little sub-section of a UK-based pro wrestling forum is legitimately the best MMA discussion platform on the planet. Nowhere else even comes close. It really is an oasis on a toxic MMA planet.

On this bit, it really is. We’ve said a few times that it’s a shame there’s so few of us left who still post regularly in the MMA bit. Sometimes I wish we had a bunch of new posters but I think part of what makes the discussion here better is that we’re sort of hidden away and insulated from the toxic twats that frequent the more modern forms of social media. I’d like to see Jim come back, one or two others and Malbranque to post more (he’s been quiet lately), but sadly I don’t think we’re gonna get a lot of genuinely new posters at this point who aren’t trolls. We’re the last of a dying breed.

Edited by wandshogun09

I read this part of the forum regularly but I don’t contribute much as I don’t have the means to watch without downloading, proper legal downloads of course don’t want to upset Dana. But yeah I love the discussion and insight the core posters give. 

• Paid Members

I agree with all the sentiments here - it shouldn't be this way, but it is. That doesn't lessen the shitness of it, but in the end the only thing we can do is adjust our own viewpoints and place our own caveats on them, because otherwise we'd drive ourselves mad. And this place is fuggin' brilliant for enabling that whilst still maintaining top-quality discussion that combines no less passion for MMA than any of the Two-Can Van Damme sites with a sense of proportion and perspective that is almost completely absent anywhere else.

Put it this way: some time ago, I came to the understanding that, if there was any fighter I could definitely root for on the basis of their politics, it was Evan Tanner, and he's no longer with us. With this new info about Jandiroba, that number would have doubled if he was still alive.

EDIT: In fairness, I suppose I could root for Molly McCann, as she hates the Tories and the monarchy, but she still associates with that racist cock-knocker Pimblett, so I'm not sure if she shares his views on that particular score.

Edited by Carbomb

4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Put it this way: some time ago, I came to the understanding that, if there was any fighter I could definitely root for on the basis of their politics, it was Evan Tanner, and he's no longer with us. With this new info about Jandiroba, that number would have doubled if he was still alive.

Evan Tanner was ace, and it's showing my age that I can remember reading his little blog posts that he used to post about his travels. Loved those.

Yeah, I mean, the fighters we are aware of that are good eggs obviously deserve more support and are the types we will always root for. Jandiroba is someone I'd been indifferent to until this point, but now when I see her fighting I'll be hoping she picks up the "W" where possible.

I'm also a fan of big Paul Craig. I'm sure I've spoken about his career working with kids before his UFC stint, and by all accounts he's a decent lad. That he's Scotch obviously helps.

• Paid Members
Just now, David said:

I'm also a fan of big Paul Craig. I'm sure I've spoken about his career working with kids before his UFC stint, and by all accounts he's a decent lad. That he's Scotch obviously helps.

Ah, yes - forgot about that, he does seem like a really good guy. He doesn't get the auld blue-and-white privilege from me, though.