General Combat Sports Dodginess

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Didn’t know where to put this. Didn’t wanna stick it in the Top Twitter thread because it’d seem a bit off in a light hearted thread. And it might not be Minor News either so here we are. There’s something going on with Ali Abdelaziz and Fernand Lopez who runs the MMA Factory in France, manages Ciryl Gane etc.

Don’t know what the fuck’s going on but it’s a story that might be worth keeping tabs on. I know the ‘Slim’ the messages refer to (not Shady) is Slim Tralbesi. He’d just been signed by the UFC and was supposed to fight at 280 in Abu Dhabi next month. Then mysteriously, the UFC parted ways with him. Sounds like a mix up where he wasn’t fully released from another contract. Don’t know if the recent weirdness surrounding Cedric Doumbe and the Paris card the other week ties in with this. Something is going on. There’s been rumours that Ali is a bit of a dodgy character for some time and Ngannou’s split with Lopez was supposedly a bad one.

Let this be the general combat sports shithouse thread, I guess. There’s plenty of them. Whether it’s these two, the Russians with links to Kadyrov or just old stories of Don King being his scummy self. 

• Paid Members

There’s been talk of that for years but I’ve never bothered looking into it. Most of the stuff out there about it comes back to a guy on Twitter called Mike Russell. Don’t know how legit his information is or if he’s just some nut who’s become obsessed with the whole thing but he’s apparently been promising a podcast on it for years and fuck all’s came of it. 

233C4BBA-21D6-4CC5-8D34-BD1B591F2994.jpeg

• Moderators

A fight broke out at the ADCC Open (tournament before the tournament) in which Murilo Santana allegedly pulled out a knife. All started by Ty Freeman (look at his IG if you ever want to see a "humble lion") and Santana jumped in to defend his guy and then it all kicked off.

https://jitsmagazine.com/adcc-open-fight-breaks-out-results-in-several-life-bans/

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

That match fixing thing involving James Krause and the Darrick Minner fight the other week has been picking up steam. The UFC have now released Minner and put out a statement that any fighter continuing with Krause as their coach or training at his gym isn’t welcome in the Octagon either.

8E619215-ABE1-4E95-9C4A-27BCE19BC553.jpeg

46ECA405-29E6-4C9A-9E5B-6872CFDDF759.jpeg

• Moderators

I feel like this situation sucks for Darrick Minner, assuming he wasn't in on it all, but you're a prelim guy barely making any money and fuck up your knee right before...well what are you gonna do. Now you're cut and probably tarnished with this for the rest of your career.

UFC could easily prevent this by paying out fighters who get injured. How many times have we seen guys fighting with awful injuries at this point.

• Paid Members

Some of the names affiliated with and training with Krause include Tim Elliott, David Onama, Jeff Molina, Mana Martinez and most notably Brandon Moreno. I’ve already seen this morning that Molina’s upcoming fight with Jimmy Flick has been scrapped. Don’t know if that’s to do with an injury or if he’s sticking with Krause or what. Shame because Molina vs Flick was a fun fight. I’ll be gutted if this leads to Onama being let go as well. But obviously the big one is Moreno. It seems crackers to me that these guys would potentially derail their own careers out of loyalty to Krause but it feels like this story is gonna drag on a bit. Moreno’s meant to be fighting Figgy (again) for the belt in Brazil next month. But the UFC have been clear about not wanting to do business with fighters who stay with Krause, and Moreno’s posting stuff like this…

61-C03-FE8-3266-4-FDC-95-F1-A1996-F285-E

It’s gonna get even messier.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, neil said:

I feel like this situation sucks for Darrick Minner, assuming he wasn't in on it all, but you're a prelim guy barely making any money and fuck up your knee right before...well what are you gonna do. Now you're cut and probably tarnished with this for the rest of your career.

there's always the chance that Minner wasn't even hurt and just took a dive? the fight was pretty suspect. 

• Moderators

Yeah thats why I said "assuming he wasn't in on it all"...if he was then I won't be defending him. Just saying that its not unusual for fighters to go in with massive injuries and the sport has a real problem with encouraging that.

• 1 month later...