Sandman on Netflix

ReturnOfTheMack

5 hours ago, deathrey said:

I watched an episode and a half (toddler kept waking up so we had to abandon it) of The Sandman last night but absolutley loved it! I think we will sail through the series quite fast

I'm three episodes in and it's excellent so far. The Sandman is so dear to me that I worried I'd have proper not-as-good-as reactions, but apart from minor quibbles (Patton Oswalt is great as Matthew, but a bit too overtly comedy perhaps, because I always imagined him with a more British befuddled twenty-something voice), it's lived up to my expectations. Tom Sturridge is doing a PHENOMENAL job as Morpheus - he's humanised the character earlier than the books (understandable considering how glacial he is there), but he's up there with Jonny Lee Miller for Eye and Jaw Acting, especially his wordless performance during the Jessamy scene.

• Paid Members

Oooh that's very good news. I won't lie I've been more than a little worried Sandman would be a mess. Can't wait to get into now.Ā 

• Paid Members

9 episodes in and I've loved every second. I can imagine a lot not liking it as it could feel slow compared to a lot of shows, but it's almost note perfect for me. Dream is perfect, the Corinthian too. The only real issue I had was having modern day Constantine as a woman. Not that I had an issue with gender or race swapping, I just love Matt Ryan's version so much that I'd be disappointed with a male version that wasn't him...

• Paid Members

I was a huge Sandman obsessive for a while, to the point where one of my final pieces at Uni (in a theatre degree) was a play that combined elements of Sandman with the story of Edmund from King Lear.

So far, I've been really impresed - and I like that a lot of it is underplayed rather than overplayed (unlike the audio dramas, which went in a very different direction). Some of the casting is inspired - Cain and Abel, in particular, I absolutely adore. Some very, very smart choices going on in it.

My only issue with it, at times, is Tom Sturridge. There are times I feel like he nails it, but at others, I'm a lot less sure. (I also keep thinking of Bernard Black when he's wandering around in the daytime, and particularly a conversation with Lucienne in the penultimate episde, and that's not helping).

• Paid Members

I read the first six or so Sandman trade paperbacks, and I kept hopping from loving the series to gritting my teeth through theĀ  boring pomp and arse sniffing. I think I quit around the time the story shifted towards following a toddler around dreamland as his mom slept.

I've heard almost nothing but good news about the TV adaption though, so I'll definitely be giving it a whirl. The one complaint I've seen bounded about on Twitter is there not being much deviation from the comic or not much in terms of reimagining certain aspects, but after my heavy disappointment with the Preacher TV series, I'm totally okay with that.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I read the first six or so Sandman trade paperbacks, and I kept hopping from loving the series to gritting my teeth through theĀ  boring pomp and arse sniffing. I think I quit around the time the story shifted towards following a toddler around dreamland as his mom slept.

Oh man, while I know that was an annoying stretch, it led RIGHT into the big, main story that kicks off over the last few graphic novels, and it's phenomenal stuff.

For anyone interested in the trade paperbacks, they're on comixology for around Ā£3 each right now - the sale ends today.

Obviously Kool Keith doesnā€™t read nerd comics for nerds, too busy playing Farming Sim and space exploration video games. My gf will be watching this, do I need any knowledge of the comics or will it be a case of having knowledge of source material will add stuff but not essential?Ā 
Ā 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Obviously Kool Keith doesnā€™t read nerd comics for nerds, too busy playing Farming Sim and space exploration video games. My gf will be watching this, do I need any knowledge of the comics or will it be a case of having knowledge of source material will add stuff but not essential?Ā 
Ā 

It's self-contained. They've actually moved it further away from licensed sub-characters - the original takes place in the DC Universe, so involves brief appearances from various characters from there. These have been replaced with different characters (like John Constantine is in one issue, and is replaced here with 'Joanna Constantine', so it's not a crossover). So there's even less crossover with existing stories than there was in the comics.

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

It's self-contained. They've actually moved it further away from licensed sub-characters - the original takes place in the DC Universe, so involves brief appearances from various characters from there. These have been replaced with different characters (like John Constantine is in one issue, and is replaced here with 'Joanna Constantine', so it's not a crossover). So there's even less crossover with existing stories than there was in the comics.

Nice one, cheers! Iā€™ll give it a watch going in blind regarding cast etc, so hopefully Iā€™ll know a few!

I take it arseholes have moaned about how Sandman ā€˜woke upā€™ or some shit?

Ā 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And then some. Which is even less good faith than usual. The biggest shit-storm has been over the casting of Death.

See, in the comics, she's a young, perky, white goth woman.

tumblr_840517889d24367b047c8605f5255605_90c9a5d3_540.jpg.fa5a3868372807601399e58ed26372da.jpg

And this is her casting in the show. A young, perky, black goth woman.

194992.jpg.7883186c09c424f7eb60b288391c63ad.jpg

This is despite the fact that, in the comics, it's made very clear that her appearance and ethnicity changes depending on who is looking (as it does with Dream). She's great though.

Edited by Chris B

32 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nice one, cheers! Iā€™ll give it a watch going in blind regarding cast etc, so hopefully Iā€™ll know a few!

Ā 

Sandman is also the origin of the character Lucifer Morningstar, though they have gone in a very different direction with the casting in Sandman. I would have had a little party if Tom Ellis had shown up

2 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Sandman is also the origin of the character Lucifer Morningstar, though they have gone in a very different direction with the casting in Sandman. I would have had a little party if Tom Ellis had shown up

Ah! I loved Lucifer! Tom Ellis was so so good! Ā Seeing Constantine mentioned just reminded me of something Misha Collins said. It was Halloween and he saw a kid dressed like Castiel from Supernatural. Collins went up to him and asked in his Cas voice ā€œWho have you come asā€. Nervously the kid replied ā€œErrr Constantineā€ and shuffled off. Misha said he leaned an important lesson that day!