AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

Main event was a good match, and I think they did a decent enough job getting to Hangman subbing in, but that Punk segment? A complete mess. Whiny and fat shaming, apparently with an ankle so fucked that he can't wrestle, to suddenly being raring to go and a really forced interaction with a crowd that wasn't buying it.

Mox better not lose this match on Sunday.

46 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Feels like Moxley, Punk and Danielson are keeping me hanging on by a thread at the minute. Can't be arsed with the rest of it.

Just find AEW to be a frustrating, rudderless mess these days. 

AEW has become TNA, in so much as they have managed to sign massive stars yet somehow become LESS interesting after doing so.
It's actually quite remarkable.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Loki said:

Ace Steel, a guy I've literally never seen before

All I know of him is that he played Donald Trump in the infamous Trump vs O'Donnell skit on Raw back in the mid-2000's.

image.png.7000eda0db9bb32f7a1ce15d486e925c.png

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

So as far as I can tell, there was an open contract hanging around backstage somewhere, whoever was first to sign it would get a title shot, and just nobody bothered? No sneaky heel thought "fuck getting battered about in a ladder match, I can just blindside Ace Steel and sign this"? None of the people who have been complaining about not getting used well enough thought, "wahey, free main event match, let's have it"? 

That also COULD have been a good way of bringing MJF back rather than the tired old 'jump someone after a match'. Similar to Jericho returning to Raw years ago and taking out the torch bearer, you could have had someone just take out Ace Steel, then the camera pans up to MJF with a shit eating grin. 

• Paid Members

If they wanted to have a hot hometown crowd, the week after he got battered fair and square, it was really bad timing for Punk to lean into the Colt Cobana stuff recently. Your hometown hero being the guy holding down the hometown underdog? 

Alternatively, if we're meant to be Bret-Hart-in-97 thinking-he's-a-whiny-prick, so the audience turns on him before he turns on them - then they're playing it perfectly. Cooled off his hometown a bit, and acted like he's expected them to be 100% behind him. He's acting like he's no longer grateful for their support - he's acting like he expects it.

Again, he came out two weeks ago and dressed down the three most beloved babyfaces in the company, got his ass kicked, and now gets a rematch over everyone else, and expects to be the hometown hero on top of it all. If this isn't a heel turn, I don't know what it is.

2 minutes ago, TheDude said:

That was a firey babyface promo. If he's turning heel on Sunday, that's a mess. Why? Why make him look like such a bad ass hero and Mox the heel? 

Because he was in his hometown? The same reason they made MJF look like a god when they did a show in NJ.

Which by the way, was lauded as great booking, and a great moment.

Now we’re at a time it’s cool to hate on anything AEW show, a similarly booked segment is shit on.

Edited by Matthew

Just now, Matthew said:

Because he was in his hometown? The same reason they made MJF look like a god when they did a show in NJ

Yet he fat shames some poor geezer. So either turn him heel or don't. But don't wishy washy it. It just confuses the audience.

Just now, TheDude said:

Yet he fat shames some poor geezer. So either turn him heel or don't. But don't wishy washy it. It just confuses the audience.

What happened to people wanting seeds being planted, subtle hints, small nods, before going all in (pardon the pun), at a later date, instead of hot shotting a heel turn out of nowhere?

Surely if they’d done that, we’d have the same people moaning now, moaning it was Russo-Riffic.

1 minute ago, Matthew said:

What happened to people wanting seeds being planted, subtle hints, small nods, before going all in (pardon the pun), at a later date, instead of hot shotting a heel turn out of nowhere?

Surely if they’d done that, we’d have the same people moaning now, moaning it was Russo-Riffic.

Yeah, that's fair. You are right that people would moan about it being Russo-Lite. I just don't know why he fat shamed him. Maybe that was just Phil being the knob he is. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

If they wanted to have a hot hometown crowd, the week after he got battered fair and square, it was really bad timing for Punk to lean into the Colt Cobana stuff recently. Your hometown hero being the guy holding down the hometown underdog? 

Alternatively, if we're meant to be Bret-Hart-in-97 thinking-he's-a-whiny-prick, so the audience turns on him before he turns on them - then they're playing it perfectly. Cooled off his hometown a bit, and acted like he's expected them to be 100% behind him. He's acting like he's no longer grateful for their support - he's acting like he expects it.

Again, he came out two weeks ago and dressed down the three most beloved babyfaces in the company, got his ass kicked, and now gets a rematch over everyone else, and expects to be the hometown hero on top of it all. If this isn't a heel turn, I don't know what it is.

I think you're giving them undeserved credit there. Punk went full tilt into the 'We are Chicago' stuff that was a clear face promo designed to get a massive crowd reaction, they just weren't there with him.

Getting rattled by a fan and then essentially apologising for it almost immediately because you've realised on the spot it's going to fuck up your newfound good guy IRL credentials isn't planting heel seeds, and nobody here at least is pretending to dislike a wrestling show just to be contrary and net some pretend forum credentials. We all want AEW to be shit hot. It's not the end of the world, but it's also lapsed repeatedly lately into the kind of messy tropes it used to be a pretty bankable siesta from.

It's finally starting to resemble what it probably should have been from the start, which is an insecure billionaire's empty notepad, with a table full of bigger boys each giving him a pen and saying "No seriously this is going to be great, write it down." 

At least that's what it looks like to me, rubbishing another trope. That bookers are ineffectual baddies and the wrestling landscape would be vastly improved by just letting the talent do their own stuff all the time. You need a few anchors outside that. I'd be curious to know if any other guiding hands are over these sheets that aren't directly involved or profiting from the segments because it looks like they need a few. 

Again, it's not the end of the world. Just stick to basics and fundamentals. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK