15 years ago…

HarmonicGenerator

I was a huge mark at the time, of wrestling in general, but didn't have a Sky subscription so only kept up with WWE via here (or maybe even the old TWO forums at that time).

I was really excited for the show. I enjoyed the WWECW I could catch. The one hour run time helped and I enjoy so-bad-it's-good wrestling like the Balls/Kelly Kelly/Mike Knox love story and the "Monsters" like Khali and Big Daddy V.

I think the awesome Silent Night, Deadly Night-inspired poster also helped, back when you could download them as wallpapers from WWE.com - it was my laptop background each December for years after!

Of course, when I read the show reviews the next day I was hugely disappointed. I don't think I've watched anything except clips since.

One thing that got me excited was the EXTREME~! Elimination Chamber. I went wild imaging what that would be like! Would they replace the chains with barbed wire? Would they hang weapons from the roof like Lethal Lockdown? Nope! You can take one weapon in each fellas. Did they announce that in advance, or were the details of the match kept vague?

• Paid Members

I remember watching it while I was housesitting for a friend out of sheer morbid curiosity. It was the one actual bit of wrestling I watched as I'd been watching those roundtable discussions the whole rest of the time, and it was bad. By the time Test had dropped his rubber crowbar and it'd bounced off the floor I was already very checked out. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

I wonder if it'd be better remembered if Punk had won the title there. It would have been a really bold move at the time, and would have given a clear direction for the brand and show - very much focusing on the up-and-comers, rather than another place for WWE mid-carders to be. It would have, at least, given a big moment for the show. It might have been risky and too soon, but it might have been remembered as a major plus - and without it, there just wasn't anything for fans to come away from excited about.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

By the time Test had dropped his rubber crowbar and it'd bounced off the floor I was already very checked out.

Doesn't Bobbo break through the chains of his pod with his given weapon, a table? 

If you are going to book your face, who you know you want to push hard moving forward, breaking though these unforgiving steal chains why not give him the crowbar or an aluminium bat or something more interesting to do it with than a plywood catering table? 

That's the lowest of concerns for this show, granted, but it shows just how little thought they apparently put into anything on it. 

• Paid Members

He does. Some lads are holding onto the handle of the cell so it won't open, and to try and get over how impenetrable the cells are Lashers uses his table to. Break the chains above him and climb out, then he puts one of the heels through another pod, immediately ruining the whole. "these pods are impenetrable" thing they'd been trying to establish. 

A barbed wire wall on the cell could have been a great idea, but somebody would probably have gone through it during the match. It's up there with the electrified cage Team 3D were involved in one year at lockdown on terms of the sheer bollocks of it all.