Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I kind of got the Martinez fight because it was Aldoā€™s last fight on his contract and he was just fighting that out. It kind of made sense there to whack him in with a guy on the rise to maybe give Martinez ā€˜the rubā€™. Obviously didnā€™t work out like that because Aldo schooled him, but I got what they were likely going for in that sense.

This though, heā€™s signed a new deal. Heā€™s no spring chicken, heā€™s got a limited number of fights left in him and this does feel like theyā€™re kind of wasting one on a fight nobody really wants to see. There are so many better options at 135 or even 145 if he wants to go back up. Imagine Aldo vs Barboza at 145? Or Lopes? Or Yair? At Bantamweight Iā€™d have thought Dominick Cruz or Henry Cejudo wouldā€™ve been the obvious choices. Youā€™ve also got the all Brazilian banger with Figgy, maybe a Sandhagen fight depending on how this Umar fight goes tomorrow, fuck even Umar as well. And if they wanted to give him an up and comer, even then thereā€™s Kyler Phillips who I think is a better option than Bautista. Itā€™s even weirder when you look at the rankings. Aldo currently sits at #8 as Iā€™m typing this, Bautista is at #12. Why have they got him fighting down at this point?Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Fucking yes! Confirmed by the UFC Europe account on Twitterā€¦

IMG-2014.jpg

IMG-2015.jpg

IMG-2016.jpg

IMG-2017.jpg

Hereā€™s the announcement from Danaā€¦

Whittaker vs Khamzat is 5 rounds in the co-main. Interesting that Ankalaev is fighting Rakic though. Was fully expecting Ankalaev to get the next crack at Pereira but apparently Ankalaevā€™s said that the UFC have ā€œother plansā€ for Pereira whatever that means. Seen speculation that maybe theyā€™re gonna do Aspinall vs Pereira but Dana really didnā€™t seem keen on Pereira moving to Heavyweight when asked in Manchester last week. And Aspinall seems absolutely adamant now that heā€™s fighting for the undisputed belt next and wonā€™t take any other fight before that. Maybe Pereira vs Rountree?Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Whittaker should walk the fight with Chimaev if itā€™s a 5 rounder.

Should. But like always with Khamzat, that first round is quite a storm to weather. Interesting fight, glad theyā€™ve rebooked it. Now Khamzatā€™s just gotta get through the next 12 weeks without getting injured or sick. Not confident in that at all. Ā 

Absolutely stacked card. Hopefully they keep it off TNT box office and have it on at a normal time on normal TNT. I really enjoyed watching last nights show live.Ā 
Ā 

I find it bizarre theyā€™re putting Ankalaev against Rakic who is coming off a 2 fight losing skid. Either they have something big planned for Alex or they want to give him a deserved break.Ā 
I canā€™t work out whatā€™s next though. Like Wand said, Dana is not keen on their LHW cash cow moving up a division. There isnā€™t anyone obvious. The only one I can think of is Izzy moving up a weight again, but heā€™s booked to fight DDP.Ā 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

Absolutely stacked card. Hopefully they keep it off TNT box office and have it on at a normal time on normal TNT. I really enjoyed watching last nights show live.Ā 

Good news on the start timeā€¦

Obviously itā€™s great news for us but it also makes sense to have Topuriaā€™s first title defence being on at a time when people can watch live in Spain at a reasonable hour. There were plans to have Topuriaā€™s next fight in Spain at one point but that mustā€™ve fallen through. From a start times perspective, this is the next best thing.

I never even thought of this one possibly ending up on Box Office though. I hope not but that wouldnā€™t surprise me, to be honest. Iā€™m hoping that because there arenā€™t a load of British fighters on the card (just Lerone Murphy at the minute against Dan Ige), that weā€™ll get away with it being on normal TNT Sports. I think/hope theyā€™re gonna wait for this supposed McGregor comeback fight (December is the latest rumour) and charge us for that.Ā 

It usually turns out that we have 4 ppv cards on box office during the year give or take but its how its worked in the last couple of years. I personally expect the jon jones card to be put on box office and 10000% the last of the year with Conor mcgregor if not both almost certainly the Conor card.

That card in abu Dhabi is phenomenal on paper anyway let's not jinx it we've had a few and they ended up underwhelming tbh but the streak has got to end sometime and this card has too much for it to fail and disappoint.Ā 

Main event is great and genuinely don't know who to go with after what max did to Justin at 300.Ā 

But that co main is it for me personally it's either khamzat does it and next in line for the belt which I believe he can win but he's definitely given some reasons to be worried and apprehensive if he does win he needs that fire back and get back being regular again because its the main reason he got so popular and given big fights so quickly give me that khamzat back please god.

This might get the best show of the year come poll time I'm crossing everything physically possible on this one.

Ā 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said:

It usually turns out that we have 4 ppv cards on box office during the year give or take but its how its worked in the last couple of years.Ā 

We havenā€™t had 4 on Box Office for years have we? To be honest, I donā€™t think itā€™s ever been as high as 4 PPVs on Box Office in one year over here but I could be wrong. Last year we had UFC 286 (Edwards vs Usman 3 in London) and 296 (Edwards vs Covington) on Box Office and that was it. Even 294 (Makhachev vs Volk 2 and Usman vs Khamzat) was in Abu Dhabi on a UK friendly start time and we got that on normal TNT Sport with no extra charge.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they put Topuria vs Holloway on Box Office though. And yeah, I remember Khabib vs Gaethje being on Box Office, the Makhachev vs Oliveira PPV was as well. Both of them were Abu Dhabi cards. If we do end up with Jones and Conor fighting before the end of the year (and Iā€™m doubtful on both because why should we trust either of those clowns to show up this time?), I highly doubt they put both on Box Office. Jones is meant to be fighting Stipe in November at MSG, Conorā€™s supposedly fighting in December. Doubt they do back-to-back Box Office cards like and especially if theyā€™ve already charged us extra for Topuria vs Holloway in October. Thatā€™s 3 Box Office PPVs in 3 consecutive months? I think Conorā€™s return will absolutely be PPV over here. But I reckon they might put a PPV charge on for Ilia vs Max first, to at least some Box Office coin out of us rather than waiting to charge us for Conor and then he pulls out again. MSG card will most likely be on normal TNT like last year.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Big Francis is back and making his PFL debut on October 19th.

IMG-3030.jpg

We all knew it was coming but Iā€™ve got an uneasy feeling about this. I know itā€™s been months but that knockout from AJ was horrible. For that alone, it seems a bit too quick for his return for me. Then you add in his little boy dying not long after and it really feels a bit too soon. Hopefully it all works out for him.Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Iā€™m not liking the sound of this.

Not gonna say it sounds like heā€™s doing it for the wrong reasons because heā€™s talking about fighting in his sonā€™s memory. But after a heartbreaking tragedy like that, coming off a brutal KO loss, in his late 30s and now talking retirement. Itā€™s got all the signs of a really sad outcome. Nothing against Ferreira but I hope Francis blasts him in 10 seconds, dedicates the win to his son and retires.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

What a absolutely outstanding set of fights we have for that card jesus that's up there for one of the best this year without a doubt.

Alex fighting three times this year is unbelievable and all huge scraps they need to do everything to keep that man happy he's unbelievableĀ 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

What a absolutely outstanding set of fights we have for that card jesus that's up there for one of the best this year without a doubt.

Wouldnā€™t go that far like, this as the co-main automatically knocks several points offā€¦

???

IMG-5621.jpg