Dental Bollocks

Mark Impact

I searched for a thread where this might go but couldn't find one, please forgive me if this belongs somewhere else. 

I need a permanent solution to a wobbly crown (front tooth!), and my NHS dentist recommends I get a temporary denture,  then a bridge down the line. Only thing is, this is two separate Band 3 payments which totals near on £600.

Has anyone had any experience of paying for this type of treatment? I have seen payment plans etc and I think insurance at this stage would do little to help. 

Any advice welcome, and thanks in advance. 

19 minutes ago, Mark Impact said:

I searched for a thread where this might go but couldn't find one, please forgive me if this belongs somewhere else. 

I need a permanent solution to a wobbly crown (front tooth!), and my NHS dentist recommends I get a temporary denture,  then a bridge down the line. Only thing is, this is two separate Band 3 payments which totals near on £600.

Has anyone had any experience of paying for this type of treatment? I have seen payment plans etc and I think insurance at this stage would do little to help. 

Any advice welcome, and thanks in advance. 

I had pre existing work needing done and went with Unum Dental insurance through work and just went for a check up and had the work quoting again. £600 is cheap for what you need doing compared to private dental work but If I had that doing through my policy which is just under £20 a month for the top band that will cover you in to the £1000’s I’d get every penny back. 

• Paid Members

I was happily informed due to sleep teeth grinding i will lose 4 bottom and 4 top teeth in a few years.

Then they suggested i go see an orthodontist (£120) to offer solutions. I guess i will have a set of falses by 45.... Glorious times ahead just waiting for the day i expose the nerve on each of them. 

Edited by quote the raven

Similar to Mr Danger, I have a policy through work with Unum. I imagine each company is different but if you're able to obtain dental insurance I'd definitely recommend it. I have pretty shit teeth so I end up having to go to the dentist every 3 / 4 months. I pay a fiver a month for the insurance and that covers up to band 3 NHS. I've probably saved about £600 over the past 5 years of having it.

I have had dental insurance for a few years, have a look and see if your work offers it as likely to be discounted. Usually only have to submit a form saying what done and how much, never been asked if pre existing. For something that big may be worth a chat with dentist to see what they’d say if asked or if ever asked.