Manny Pacquiao retires

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Originally posted this in the big Boxing thread but sod it. Manny warrants his own thread, doesn’t he?

You know the score, who knows if this’ll last but I think it probably will in this case. He’s made his millions, there’s nothing left to prove and he’s got other stuff to keep him busy. Like running for president of the Philippines if his latest tweet is anything to go by!

What a career. That spell in the late 2000s where he bashed De La Hoya into retirement, absolutely flattened Hatton in 2 rounds, gave Cotto a hiding and smashed Margarito to bits was something to behold. Then there’s the incredible 4 fight series with Juan Manuel Marquez, the trilogy with Erik Morales, the great fights with Marco Antonio Barrera. That rivalry and series of fights between those 4 - Pacquiao, Marquez, Barrera and Morales - is the closest Boxing has came to recreating the Four Kings era of Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran for me. So many amazing fights and the only one we never got to see was Marquez vs Morales sadly. Yeah, the Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight came along about 5/6 years late but at least it finally happened and it wasn’t like Manny was shot in 2015, he still put in really strong performances after that and right to the end it wasn’t ever like he was embarrassing himself out there. Proper legend. Not only the quality wins he had and the titles he won, but the longevity and the fact that he was so exciting to watch for so long. You don’t usually get all of that in one fighter. To fight the way he did, they’d usually burn out after a few good years but he had a HOF career spanning 26 years as a pro and ducked no-one. I mean, fuck, this last fight was supposed to be against Errol Spence. Might have to binge watch a load of old Pacman fights this week now. Looking back at all those names he fought brings back so many memories of some really great and dramatic fights.

So yeah, use this as a Manny Pacquiao appreciation thread as well or whatever. 

• Paid Members

Lovely. Either I somehow missed his comments or saw them a while back and forgot, such is the frequency of famous people turning out to be shitheads with abhorrent views. Just had a quick look now and yeah, fuck’s sake. Certainly didn’t ever see this one;

Yep Manny's horrible views go back awhile now. Ever since he got into politics basically. Philippines politics are pretty depressing in general.

I will always remember seeing him fight for the first time though, this skinny Asian kid with a few losses against nobody's fighting all time great Barrera. I was like ok, then he just fucking wrecked him and a whole era began.

Not sure if it makes it worse but when you’re an elected politician who holds those views, it certainly makes them more impactful. 

There was a fair bit of talk when everyone wanted him to beat a convicted wife beater, pointing out that he was no saint either. 

• Paid Members

Think the first time I saw him fight was on the Lewis vs Tyson undercard in 2002. His fight was on the Sky Box Office broadcast and he battered some sod in a few rounds. Shame him and Naseem Hamed missed each other. That would’ve been some fight.

30 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Not sure if it makes it worse but when you’re an elected politician who holds those views, it certainly makes them more impactful. 

Yeah and then add in his standing in the sports world and it’s a double whammy.