AEW to WWE

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Don't recall hearing this speculated too much but I was thinking about the possibility of AEW stars going to WWE eventually. 

I really miss that element of the established star showing up. AJ Styles 4 years ago is almost the only guy at his peak to do so in the last 17 years. 

Obviously there'll be loads of "they'd ruin them" dread but regardless, who do you think would really succeed in WWE or who would you really like to see in WWE? Also are there any matches you want to see?

Would WWE allow them more freedom given their experience? The sort of freedom they give a Goldberg or McAfee but not their homegrown guys. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, we tend to be more accustomed to star leaves WWE, wrestles elsewhere then comes back (Angle, Christian, Hardys, RVD etc).

Some of those then obviously leave again to check other places out. Free roaming after short term contracts and enjoying their senior years. I do like that aspect if I’m honest and think it would help everyone if shorter contracts were generally offered. 
1-2 years with WWE/AEW, if they develop a great story and character/run, then there’s the option extend/leave/let go. It would prevent someone from sitting and rotting in the back for several years and would create more of a ‘must utilise’ mentality for the writers, rather than, “we don’t have much for you”, which is fine if they don’t because you’ll be parting company in a quicker fashion. Dream world stuff, I know.

To answer your question, I’d like to see MJF head to WWE. His personality alone would dramatically change the landscape. Other than Miz (who isn’t at his character peak at the moment, no knock on him), I don’t think WWE truly has an outright charismatic machine. They’ve got characters, sure, but most of those have learned to be characters. MJF was born this way and I can’t help but think he’d make the absolute top.

He’d have to be allowed to do his thing though. Whether they let him or not is another story. People waxed lyrical about the potential future of Roode & EC3 before they signed with WWE, hasn’t exactly worked out. Saying that, I think MJF pisses all over them in that department.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

I think they'd need to give an ex-AEW star a good start to at least show others that it's worth jumping or else it'll just be pretty pointless.

In terms of who I think could succeed I'd go with Santana and Ortiz. Those two are probably the main ones I'd wanted originally. I know the tag division is questionable sometimes but i think they'd fit right in with very little change.

Ricky Starks is probably the most obvious one that stands out as a complete package.

I'd love MJF but I can't help but think he'd just be a watered down version so I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Wardlow would probably have more of a chance to succeed.

I'd make an argument that Darby Allin could easily be the next Jeff Hardy for them but they wouldn't want him trying to kill himself quite as often as he does.

Sammy Guevara could do well depending on what Vince's mood is. When you've got guys like Andrade and Angel Garza already and they go hot and cold I'm not sure how Sammy would do consistency wise.

Anna Jay would fit right in.

It'll probably be QT Marshall won't it. Fucks sake.

• Paid Members

WWE would take literally anyone from AEW just to try and hurt them which kind of takes away the fun aspect of this that the WCW/WWF days had.

But I wouldn't be massively surprised to see Ricky Starks and Wardlow get a decent run in WWE one day. I can't see MJF going, he's been very open about creative freedom being incredibly important to him. Also can you imagine how shit an MJF WWE scripted promo would be?! Darby Allin also seems the type that might struggle in the WWE system, especially when he'd be told he can't make his own little movies. Allin has said that he previously turned down a WWE contract because he thinks they'd dump him on 205 Live and give him nothing to do. Some of the newer younger guys like Hobbs, The Acclaimed etc. will probably end up going.

Otherwise I don't think there's many who will make the jump. WWE offered pretty much all the current roster contracts when AEW was announced and they all turned them down to take a risk with AEW. Can't see why they'd jump now when AEW is going from strength to strength. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Can't see why they'd jump now when AEW is going from strength to strength. 

The only thing I can see potentially happening is a struggle for position with how many great people they have on that roster. One or two may become frustrated over time like they do in any company. Only time will tell really but you get the guys who are just happy to be there and then you get the ones that want more for themselves. Whether they'd take that risk is another thing but we'll see. It certainly doesn't seem an attractive prospect at the moment.

If silly money starts getting offered, can see some moving, but creatively can’t see many wanting to go. There’s no chance Darby is getting his short videos on a raw or smackdown 

Who I see most likely to cause a fuss and leave? Cody 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

This may sound strange, but since WWE is seemingly not bringing back house shows for a long time at least, that maybe the older AEW may wish to leave for WWE since AEW will likely do shows as soon as they can, and a new upstart company should. This would mean the AEW schedule potentially being a lot harder than the WWE 

AEW don't do house shows though. Part of the appeal to talent is AEWs lighter schedule. You work once a week and actually get to have weekends with friends and family. 

For older/experienced guys the lighter schedule will attractive but for younger guys they'll struggle to improve working once a week, of course they can work Indies too but quality of talent might not help them get better.

The bloated roster will surely make people want too leave eventually, the shiny new toy won't be shiny forever, guys will have to leave or get released at some point.

Young guys like MJF, Darby, etc could end up like a Ziggler if they stay for next 15yrs

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Louch said:

Who I see most likely to cause a fuss and leave? Cody 

I thought this too. Not any time soon, but Cody strikes me as someone who still has unfinished business in WWE, maybe even a bit if a chip on his shoulder about his first run. I don't imagine it'll be any time soon though between his other TV work and a pretty cushy EVP role/guaranteed push/limited schedule with AEW.

In more general terms I could see Moxley back at some point for silly money for a Shield reunion, probably way way down the line. 

Although money is a factor, I do wonder whether Vince McMahon will be a determining reason many will stay put for now. If he steps down (or dies, more likely) some might fancy their chances under a new regime, but not currently and who can be them given the increasingly frequent stories of McMahon's erratic decision making. Whether it would actually be different under Triple H (or whoever) remains to be seen. 

An interesting "What if" is WWE being purchased by Disney. I know that's a rumour that's been out there for a while but if any AEW guys had aspirations to cross into acting I imagine being under the same umbrella as Marvel etc would be more attractive than the dubious opportunity of being in 12 Round 8 or The Marine 52: Miz goes to Space for WWE Films currently.

Aew had in plan to do house shows, but nothing close to the old wwe schedule. Given that have managed to stay profitable with just tv, running live events with full crowds will still be a big way off. Can see the odd tour over here, but with a second tv show coming, don’t see a US house show schedule above the two shows a week