This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

Bayliss is terrible, warning Taylor all night and giving Ramirez so long to recover from the second knockdown. Similar to  Fury/Wilder 2. 

Would like to see Taylor v Crawford, but think that may be a step to far. Taylor seems to make the weight ok, so a move up may not be imminent.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members

Great fight that was. I’d be all over Taylor vs Crawford. This was a peach of an uppercut. 

0CE6BF68-EC4E-4706-9521-69676D31B53B.gif

Missed Eggington vs Molina in the end, despite the reminders in here. Saw Eggington won on points. Anyone see it? How did he look? 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 5/23/2021 at 4:00 AM, jimufctna24 said:

😀

Scorecards were a bit wank. I had Taylor winning 116-110. 

115-111 would have been fair. 

Kenny Bayless is shit. 

i had it the same as the judges, 114-112 for Taylor, the knockdowns being the difference and both winning 6 rounds each.

Surprised Ramirez fought so well after that second knockdown, that was a peach. I gave Ramirez the final 3 rounds.

Stick the best in with the best and you get a great fight, who'd have thunk it?

• Paid Members

no real notable MMA this weekend, but there's a couple of good boxing shows on in America:

mosley-haney-linares.jpeg.thumb.jpg.edcd4e425243d0b1be9068522addf455.jpg

Where to watch: DAZN

Matchroom show in America. E-mail Champion Devin Haney defends against Jorge Linares. Haney still really hasnt fought anyone and has been gifted a WBC title, still the talent and potential is there. Linares blows hot and cold more than any top fighter but if hes on he could give Haney some issues.

Usual mishmash on the undercard, few Brits sprinked in though.

oubaali-vs-donaire-tickets_05-29-21_17_608893f669c85.jpg.d831c47c05285960ffa39ef4f92700fd.jpg

Where to watch: Fite TV

Nonito Donaire going for another World Title at 38 years old. Who knows what he has left after that Inoue war, but Phillipino's are made of different stuff. I know nothing of Nordine Ouballi other than he's 17-0 and is the reigning WBC 118lb Champion. Oubaali is betting favorite but id love to see Donaire pull this off.

• Paid Members

Yeh beautiful stuff from Donaire. When Donaire entered a WBSS a few years ago he was seen as the washed veteran who was only there because of his name value. What an unbelievable few years he's had.

Haney/Linares was good too. For 10 rounds, Haney looked comfortable in a competitive fight until Linaras wobbled Haney with a lightning fast combo. Haney clung on for dear life in round 11 and managed to ride out the fight to pick up UD. If Linarea has caught him 2 rounds earlier i think we would have seen a different result. Haney won the battle, Linares won the war type deal.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Quiet one this weekend outside of the Logan Paul bonanza, but Daniel Dubois returns:

20210605_072406.thumb.jpg.26ca192affc1166b917f779f085af04b.jpg

One of those main events where its all about how Dubois looks coming back from such a tough defeat. Dinu is no cream puff, but Dubois should dust if theres no ill effects of what happened to him against Joyce. Somehow they've attached a WBA Interim World Title to this, despite the WBA already having 3 actual heavyweight World Champions. Just an absolute joke of a governing body.

I saw journalist Chris Williamson saying this had the worst televised undercard in 30 years of boxing so it should be great!

I am interested in Nathan Heaney though cause he brings some crazy support with him. 

Tommy Fury's just in a weird spot. Im kind of invested but it feels like the boxing world has it in for him based off his matchmaking. Ive had pops at it in the past, and whilst i understand the need to let someone learn and get their fight legs under them, Queensbury aint doing him any favours from a fans perspective, who already have the daggers out. He was originally in with a guy who was like 0-19 tonight. That fell off after a huge amount of backlash, now he's fighting Jordan Grant. They've advertised it as 'Undefeafed' Jordan Grant, which is true but Grant himself is 2-0 against guys with a combined record of 0-12. Hopefully he comes in with a little ambition and makes a go of it.

Archie Sharp fell off the card though which was a bit of a blow.

20210605_130915.thumb.jpg.d362d70e9ceb5ade8e338bc304928d62.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Chuffed to see Dubois back and getting that first win out of the way after the Joyce loss. You could see the relief on his face after. Probably the happiest I’ve seen him look after a fight. Really hope he goes from strength to strength now. Still think people were way harsh on him after the Joyce fight.

Wasn’t blown away by the Tommy Fury fight but whatever. Still early days and it’s all rounds in the bank. Don’t really have a strong opinion on him one way or the other but seeing how so many seem to want him to fail, I can’t help but want to see him succeed. I might be in the minority on this though, but I’m over John Fury’s rants all the time now. It’s getting a bit old for me. He’s funny now and then but him screaming and shouting after every fight Tommy has is gonna wear thin quicker than Tyson’s hair did. 

Anyway, yeah, great to see Dubois back on track. Especially with the news of his sister qualifying for the Olympics on the same day. 

1CA770FB-19EF-47C8-B668-9AA96E54DD0E.gif

In the wrestling threads they've mentioned how Tony Khan is killing it when paying for licenses. Shows how big a thing ring music is. 

Nathan Heaneys choice of ring walk music may take him to a world title. The guys a star and who wouldn't want to go follow that? Warren will.guide him up the WBO rankings and get him a vacant shot against someone at the bet365 stadium.

Humble lad though

• Paid Members

Yeah good little win that. Dinu was there with ambition too, so that was tricky fight to come back in. Dubois was clearly relieved and very happy after it, cant recall seeing him like that, the lad must have had a shitty few months. He's now in line to fight Trevor Bryan for the WBA Regular title. Shitty belt, but you gotta see that as a very winnable fight for DDD. Would love to see Frank set that up. The Don King factor may be an issue though. @d-d-d-dAzmay be able to shed some light.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, kamicazze said:

Nathan Heaneys choice of ring walk music may take him to a world title. The guys a star and who wouldn't want to go follow that? Warren will.guide him up the WBO rankings and get him a vacant shot against someone at the bet365 stadium.

Yeah, you cant buy the support that guy has. Crazy.

Looks legit. Mike Coppinger who is normally quite clued up as mentioned it too.

Doesn't fill the void though. There's a fightzone app at the moment doing boxing from car parks. Hennessy is with C5 & Warren BT. 

I've read that they'll be working with a few promoters across the country and pick up decent looking shows too. They'll have to build stars all over again.

MTK was my original guess given the names under the umbrella though word is Sky won't work with them due to the criminal connections. So I imagine Sauerland will be one of the promoters. Outside of that maybe the Mcguigans, Carl Greaves, Sanigar, Steve Wood, Tommy Owens etc. 

If all are given 2-3 shows each that can be their big shows that year where they showcased their top talent. It'll be hard now to keep any fighters showing promise out the clutches of DAZN and BT. 

Johnny Wisch has been brought in as a consultant for Sky, to acquire content. Top Rank was his first deal done.

They're UK promoter will be Ben Shalom, so any event they do in the UK he'll be the face of it. They may acquire other UK shows, but the primary promoter is going to be Ben.