This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

Denzel Bentley fight week!!!

My favourite active boxer, and nicest bloke in boxing, defends the British Middleweight title against Felix Cash (who’s putting the Commonwealth on the line) next week. Also continues the Frank vs Eddie theme. Callum Johnson on the undercard, too.

I’m so invested in Denzel’s career, I don’t think I’ve ever wanted someone to win a fight this much.

• Paid Members

It just exists in its own little world, with its own stars and attractions. The fights always seem to end in round 1 too 😄

I should have lumped some money on Gallen yesterday morning, he was a 2/1 underdog somehow going into that. Browne is about as shot a fighter as you'll ever find.

• Paid Members

nope, never.

Australian boxing is crazy. They have absolutely no issue with throwing washed up stars in there with decent fighters either. Just a few weeks ago they put Michael Zerafa in with a 45 year old Anthony Mundine. Mundine got smoked in a couple of minutes, similar kind if story...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing/disgusting-truth-about-anthony-mundines-tragic-final-fight/news-story/28d6a8c5fcf112d272bf6efaf650ccbf

r0_213_4162_2553_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

I recommend flicking through the QP/BT/IFL fight week content for Bentley/Cash on Saturday. Tensest bubble we’ve had.

I think Denzel is inarguably the boxer of lockdown in this country. Couldn’t get on TV before lockdown, has fought 4 times behind closed doors and is British champ, fighting for the Commonwealth.

Plus, he’s my mate and he’s a fucking good egg.

• Paid Members

theres a wee shindig on DAZN tonight from Spain:

IMG_20210423_163639.thumb.jpg.8c934d1dc34cc503afd8076a25ef6227.jpg

the top 3 fights are all Spain vs. UK so thats a nice little side narrative. Im free this evening so im gonna be watching this with a table full of munch 🥊

• Paid Members

Bit of a barmy night in Spain. Bad ref calls, strange judging, KO's and a barnburner between Lejarraga and Smith, enjoyed that. The 3 hour 7-10 broadcast was perfect too, nothing dragged. 

This is tonight...

berlanga-nicholson.jpeg.thumb.jpg.ad4c0849d66ecd1e5b4fbb679d682aa4.jpg

Its the chief support to Navarette/Diaz but this is the fight im interested in. Berlanga looks to go 17-0, all previous 16 wins came as first round KO's. Can he keep it going?

• Paid Members

Well @Gooner what did you make of that? 

I thought that Adeleye was very lucky to get that decision. I had it 4 rounds to 1 with 1 even for Sokolowski. If you were generous it could have been 4-2 Sokolowski. Hopefully Adeleye learned a lot from that fight. 

Then in the main event Cash was just a different level to Bentley. A very good stoppage by the ref, Bentley was taking free shots to the head, and a lot of them. He looked like he complained a lot to the ref, but his corner had a word with him. 

Big Frank seems to think that Liam Williams is the preferred contender for a shot at Cash. That could be a good fight. 

Also a big shout out to Callum Johnson. The first round of that fight was remarkable, how he didn't go down I don't know. Good stoppage though, some interesting potential fights for him.