The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
On 1/6/2022 at 8:23 AM, air_raid said:

did WWE do an episode of TV where champions lost a non-title match? Yes they did.

Garth-Crooks.jpg

Fuck sake.

• Paid Members

Becky Lynch is an interesting case study, isn’t she? Empirical evidence of how shit everything used to be. You could become the biggest star in the whole industry by simply putting a bit of base in your voice and slightly lifting your chin during your entrance, to show confidence. Such was the tragic wasteland of the Gratitude Era that having any type of swagger about you would immediately shoot you to the top.

It’s wild that we’re only a few years removed from when this act took the entire business by storm, and yet watching her now, doing pretty much the exact same stuff, it’s borderline embarrassing. Genuinely difficult to watch. She feels like a caricature. What was once revolutionary now feels like a stale throwback. It’s not even as if everyone else has these amazingly deep, interesting characters. But they all have just enough about them, and feel rooted just enough in the real world, that The Man sticks out like a sore thumb. It’s just lame, basic attempts at peacocking. Minimal mogging. Like someone trying to recreate themselves and act cooler than they are on the first day of high school. Completely transparent.

And yet somehow, despite all this, she’s still a better choice as Champion than Liv Morgan, who’s rubbish then, now and forever.

Best bits on this show were Gunther’s amazing empty-arena promo, Jey Uso’s phenomenal entrance and Bron Breakker’s preposterous tan. They’ve clearly given Bron some 1998 Nitro tapes to study, in order to nail down the Goldberg act, but in doing that research he seems equally as inspired by Hulk Hogan’s ridiculous neon tan during that era. Bron’s well on his way to matching it. You could almost smell the sunbed looking at him.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Supremo said:

Becky Lynch is an interesting case study, isn’t she? Empirical evidence of how shit everything used to be. You could become the biggest star in the whole industry by simply putting a bit of base in your voice and slightly lifting your chin during your entrance, to show confidence. Such was the tragic wasteland of the Gratitude Era that having any type of swagger about you would immediately shoot you to the top.

It’s wild that we’re only a few years removed from when this act took the entire business by storm, and yet watching her now, doing pretty much the exact same stuff, it’s borderline embarrassing. Genuinely difficult to watch. She feels like a caricature. What was once revolutionary now feels like a stale throwback. It’s not even as if everyone else has these amazingly deep, interesting characters. But they all have just enough about them, and feel rooted just enough in the real world, that The Man sticks out like a sore thumb. It’s just lame, basic attempts at peacocking. Minimal mogging. Like someone trying to recreate themselves and act cooler than they are on the first day of high school. Completely transparent.

And yet somehow, despite all this, she’s still a better choice as Champion than Liv Morgan, who’s rubbish then, now and forever.

Best bits on this show were Gunther’s amazing empty-arena promo, Jey Uso’s phenomenal entrance and Bron Breakker’s preposterous tan. They’ve clearly given Bron some 1998 Nitro tapes to study, in order to nail down the Goldberg act, but in doing that research he seems equally as inspired by Hulk Hogan’s ridiculous neon tan during that era. Bron’s well on his way to matching it. You could almost smell the sunbed looking at him.

What’s happened to Becky Lynch is exactly how the business should work. Be over one minute and then not the next. It forces you to either reinvent yourself or lose all your stock until you’re gone.

Everyone has to change it up eventually. If even the likes of Hulk Hogan, The Rock and The Undertaker had to change gimmicks to stay on top then what chance does Becky Lynch have. 
Trish evolved over time, Lita moving from the Hardyz to Edge, Mighty Molly, Right to Censor Ivory. The list goes on. 

7 minutes ago, FLips said:

What’s happened to Becky Lynch is exactly how the business should work. Be over one minute and then not the next. It forces you to either reinvent yourself or lose all your stock until you’re gone.

Everyone has to change it up eventually. If even the likes of Hulk Hogan, The Rock and The Undertaker had to change gimmicks to stay on top then what chance does Becky Lynch have. 
Trish evolved over time, Lita moving from the Hardyz to Edge, Mighty Molly, Right to Censor Ivory. The list goes on. 

But she did, didn't she? Big Time Becks. And it was worse.

I've said this elsewhere on here, But Becky is false. She's an actor playing a role. It isn't her. The Stone Cold rip off wasn't THAT great then either. Its just it was better than the dross that 2010's WWE gave us. She's a stale throwback because she is. She's Hogan in 1993. A person out of time.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Forgive me for repeating myself, but the lack of depth they have to keep 2 titles busy, that we landed on "Of course Becky won the belt, there was nobody else" - and some people are still asking the question on "formerly Twitter" of if there should be a Womens Intercontinental title. Fucking hell, imagine trying to drum up challengers for that who aren't strong enough to be challenging for their show's top title?? They'll be giving Aliyah a call before you know it.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

But she did, didn't she? Big Time Becks. And it was worse.

I couldn’t differentiate between The Man and Big Time Becks other than what she would refer to herself to during promos. 

• Paid Members

She clearly took pointers from her fella.

“I’m thinking of switching my gimmick from The Man, to Big Time Becks. Any advice you can give, Seth?”

”Just refer to yourself as being the new character over and over again in promos.”

”Should I actually change anything about the way I talk or act, though?”

“Daft clothes.”

Yeah, I mean it was definitely an attempt at a reinvention, but she just wore sunglasses and some incredibly weird clothing. It wasn't surprising they went back to The Man, only now it's not The Man looking to climb the ladder and grab what's hers but instead clinging on at the top. It's something that worked before because the fans were legitimately behind her. Now she's entering Charlotte Flair territory.

Posted (edited)

Peacocking... 

That's exactly it. Her and as as pointed out above, and multiple times else where.. 

Seth Rollins is one of the worst for this. 

He's the living embodiment of "less is more.. But more is even more" or perhaps "too much of a good thing is shit.." 

I'm all for subtle quirks and trying to stand out, but jeez he's gone so far in trying to pass the "airport test", he just makes me feel like he's someone I wouldn't wanna share a lift with. 

He reminds me of someone from Hollyoaks was doing one of those singing shows, I saw him at a train station and he his hair was spiked to the heavens, and singing so anyone hearing him would look up and see him. I mean successful attention grab, but in the way you'd look at a car crash, it doesn't mean you'd think of how awesome one of those cars looked for the next time you buy one. 

Edited by SwayWays

I finished Lynch's audiobook recently and it really hammers home how put on the act is. She's a complete dork. Totally lovable - of course - but forever showing vulnerability and almost naive in lots of ways. There's nothing wrong with just playing a character obviously, but unless it's a real gimmick gimmick, then all the best ones tend to come from real life somewhere as that old cliche goes. 

In retrospect that bloody shot of her is them desperately looking for the moment in it. There's no doubt it's a money angle and a great shot, but it was being talked about like Austin at WrestleMania 13 at the time. Behave! 

In the few years since then, she's had the odd angle where she's just slipped back to being a goofy sort of underdog, straightforward babyface and it works so much better because it's clearly her true story. 

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

One thing that probably doesn't help Becky, and it might just be me, but she seems to be shrinking at an alarming rate. 

I really hope it's not down to any issues and it's purely choice, but she just doesn't look threatening enough to pull off "The Man". If you go back to the famous bloodied nose pic she looks tough and jacked, whereas now she looks more like a "diva" of old, who's clothes are way too big. Both are fine in context, but one clearly doesn't work aswell with the character.

In the confrontations with Rhea up to WM it looked like she could just brush her aside, but not in a Nia suspending disbelief type way.

Then again she has just had a baby fairly recently so can look however she wants...it just seems very jarring to the character for me. 

• Paid Members

The ManHandle Slam has really gone downhill in comparison to how she used to do it. I wonder if she's lost strength/muscle mass.