VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Strange Darling has had a single showing a day at 13:00 and isn’t being screened next week, so one positive of being unemployed at last. I was a big fan of Longlegs but as for story and acting I thought this was superior. Was constantly on edge and had me guessing throughout. Looks beautiful to boot. Only thing I will say is 

Spoiler

No sympathy for the mountain people after that utter abomination of breakfast. I want a clip of that to show Americans next type they complain about British food.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Hide contents

No sympathy for the mountain people after that utter abomination of breakfast. I want a clip of that to show Americans next type they complain about British food.

Spoiler

If they were having that for breakfast every morning they would be dead soon anyway.

Edited by Devon Malcolm
butterfingers

It's on all the usual dodgy sites now too but I'd definitely recommend a cinema trip before it goes because as you say it looks beautiful and Kyle Gallner had been pushing it like crazy when no-one else seemingly was, it didn't get that Longlegs marketing for sure.

And I agree, they don't get my "sympy" at all.

Oh and the soundtrack is gorgeous, even worth a listen on it's own.

• Paid Members

The Platform 2 (Netflix)

Tedious follow-up to a half-decent original that we only watched because we'd just gone into lockdown. Does nothing new with the concept and the ending is ridiculous.

Something in the Water

Watched in solidarity with @Frankie Crisp - and then I found out he hasn't watched it! It's terrible, needless to say.

The Appointment (1982)

Unearthed by the BFI a couple of years ago after almost becoming lost, this is a surreal British horror film with Edward Woodward that's difficult to describe without spoiling it. Reminded me a bit of the (awesome) Aussie horror Lost Weekend. I loved it without knowing exactly why.

Demons / Demons 2 (Shudder / YouTube)

A microcosm of how insane, nonsensical and downright fun Italian horror was in the 80s and 90s. They're both still really good.

Borderlands

Exactly as terrible as you've heard. Bad enough to put me off ever trying the games. Kevin Hart is the only one to emerge with any credibility. Yeah, it's THAT bad.

Wolfs 

It's on Apple TV but I'm not paying for that. This was a bit better than I was expecting. A bit too slow at the start but perks up around the halfway mark. Pretty funny, excellent support cast, and George.

The Strangers: Chapter 1

Apparently they've already shot two sequels to this but that's quite enough. The first two were shit and this is even worse. This franchise fucking sucks.

My Old Ass (cinema)

Lovely coming-of-age comedy-drama that also manages not to be a total bore about drugs unlike 99.99% of other films that have a lot of drugs in them. Maisy Stella is really, really good in the lead, a star is born. Aubrey Plaza's always awesome.

The Substance (cinema)

Somehow flew by despite being ridiculously long. Sensational performances by Demi Moore and Margaret Qualley, sticks the ending, hilariously disgusting. This is more like it from Coralie Fargeat, because Revenge really was bollocks.

His Three Daughters (Netflix)

Really sweet and funny comedy-drama. Enormously helped by having Carrie Coon, Elizabeth Olsen and Natasha Lyonne as its three leads but the dialogue crackles and it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Land of Bad (Prime)

Fat era Russell Crowe continues to deliver lowkey shitty fun films that he's clearly enjoying making a lot. This was surprisingly good and they should definitely make another one. Land of Not Bad!

I rewatched Dinner in America and it really would have been my fav film ever if I'd somehow saw it in my teens to early 20's but even now I think it's excellent and in the top few films I've caught this year, glad to see it get a second wind on Tubi and it's became a little bit of a viral sensation.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Something in the Water

Watched in solidarity with @Frankie Crisp - and then I found out he hasn't watched it! It's terrible, needless to say.

I’m going to watch it shortly, even though I know it’ll be terrible. I don’t want to wait until 11pm to watch some bad blood.

Go on, Gosling me.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

I’m going to watch it shortly, even though I know it’ll be terrible. I don’t want to wait until 11pm to watch some bad blood.

Go on, Gosling me.

The Emotional GIF Range of Ryan Gosling

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I had hopes for it but not since I've seen all the reviews and comments. Good luck!

It’s the wrong film thread to review it here, but in short, it’s rubbish. Boring, miserable and pointless. I did not like it