WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

Continued my play through of KOTOR and it just gets better and better. I think I must be near the end now as there are no other planets for me to visit.

I wont spoil it but I will just say there are some BIG STORY DEVELOPMENTS in this that I cant believe I didn't know about considering its such an old game.

This is honestly in the top tier of my favourite games now. 

I didnt bother buying Outlaws as I am enjoying this too much and would rather just finish this and move to KOTOR II right away. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Continued my play through of KOTOR and it just gets better and better. I think I must be near the end now as there are no other planets for me to visit.

I wont spoil it but I will just say there are some BIG STORY DEVELOPMENTS in this that I cant believe I didn't know about considering its such an old game.

This is honestly in the top tier of my favourite games now. 

I didnt bother buying Outlaws as I am enjoying this too much and would rather just finish this and move to KOTOR II right away. 

Where/how do I play this? Is it on consoles? 

It's on Switch and I think the OG Xbox version is backwards compatible, there was going to be a remake on other consoles but that's up in the air now with the team behind it having their build axed.

They're easily my favorite bit of Star Wars expanded universe.

3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Where/how do I play this? Is it on consoles? 

£11.29 on the switch at the moment. £8.99 on the Microsoft store.

Like I said in previous posts, if you can get by the dated visuals and a pretty slow start then its well worth your time.

This would have consumed my life if I had played it back in 2003.

7 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

£11.29 on the switch at the moment. £8.99 on the Microsoft store.

Like I said in previous posts, if you can get by the dated visuals and a pretty slow start then its well worth your time.

This would have consumed my life if I had played it back in 2003.

Your enthusiasm for the game is making me want to give it another try. I gave up pretty quickly when I played KOTR - it felt a little dated to me and as you acknowledge, it has a slow start. I'll definitely give it another try in the near future. 

• Paid Members

I'm still playing Cyberpunk 2077, it's got me very hooked now. I don't feel like I've properly explored all the character build options but I'm pretty happy just being a trigger happy maniac. The world doesn't quite feel as cohesive, fully fleshed out and developed as the best open world games do (RDR2, Witcher 3) and I'm not really getting a feel for the place or where anything is but it doesn't really feel like I need to to enjoy it. Saying that, it's beautiful to look at and I'd happily live with a cocky, shit talking Keanu Reeves in my head as I go about my day to day - he's great.

• Moderators

Been playing Splintered Fate on the Switch. Single player only so far but it's decent fun. Not sure the builds are that well balanced but I haven't explored everything yet so hard to say. Meteor Strike tool seems super OP compared to all other tools.

Going to play co-op for the first time on Friday with my nephews so I'm looking forward to that.

17 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm still playing Cyberpunk 2077, it's got me very hooked now. I don't feel like I've properly explored all the character build options but I'm pretty happy just being a trigger happy maniac. The world doesn't quite feel as cohesive, fully fleshed out and developed as the best open world games do (RDR2, Witcher 3) and I'm not really getting a feel for the place or where anything is but it doesn't really feel like I need to to enjoy it. Saying that, it's beautiful to look at and I'd happily live with a cocky, shit talking Keanu Reeves in my head as I go about my day to day - he's great.

Ah, I'm so glad you like it! I just didn't get into it first time around, and then, when I replayed it recently, it gripped me. The DLC is also worth playing; it's a bit more over-the-top than the main game, but I really enjoyed it. 

And Keanu Reeves is brilliant in it - more than compensating for the slightly generic voice of the game lead (which grew on me over time). 

It's a game I'll definitely replay at some point. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedTwoster said:

the slightly generic voice of the game lead

In these games I usually play as a female given the choice. They always seem to have better and more pleasing voices/voice acting than the male option which is usually a generic tough guy type voice.

The male voice for Mass Effect is god fucking awful for example but the female voice is an all time performance. 

27 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

In these games I usually play as a female given the choice. They always seem to have better and more pleasing voices/voice acting than the male option which is usually a generic tough guy type voice.

The male voice for Mass Effect is god fucking awful for example but the female voice is an all time performance. 

Ah yeah, Jennifer Hale. She's also in KOTOR as one of it's best characters.

33 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

You know, I've never actually played Mass Effect - but I have the collection on Steam Deck, so I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get around to it. But yes, that's a perfect description of what V sounds like as a man - the performance isn't terrible, but he very much sounds like a side character rather than the main. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, RedTwoster said:

You know, I've never actually played Mass Effect - but I have the collection on Steam Deck, so I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get around to it.

I would highly recommend it! 1 is a bit wonky but pretty short and has great story/world building. 2 and 3 are some of my favourite games ever.

Reeves is way more expressive in Cyberpunk than he is on screen, too. It's weird. He's still delightfully ho-hum but there's a few extra shades of dynamics there that really surprised me since you don't get it at all from him in Hollywood (and never will, now that John Wick has solidified his typecast and that's all anyone wants from him). Really enjoyable performance and yeah, for something that could get very annoying very fast, him being your co-op player for the journey really never gets old. 

Judy's an insanely likeable character too. 

Edited by The Gaffer

6 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I would highly recommend it! 1 is a bit wonky but pretty short and has great story/world building. 2 and 3 are some of my favourite games ever.

How linear are they? Do your actions throughout the games have any measurable impact on outcomes, or is the plot more linear? 

I enjoy both approaches to storytelling, I’m just curious as to what I should expect.

Edited by RedTwoster

• Paid Members

Dead Island 2

Dull open world zombie game where the main objective is to craft breakable weapons constantly on your way between point A and B to talk to NPCs.
Dead Rising had an interesting sandbox and encouraged experimentation, exploration and was consistently fun. State of Decay had base building and gave each encounter serious stakes with risk of perma-death. This does nothing for the genre.
Repetitive, buggy, runs like shit on a Series S. It's tolerable as a game while playing 3 players purely for the company, but god forbid I would ever have to play this alone.

Someone grew up wanting to make video games, went to school, to college, to Uni. Worked their way into a real career only to spend 9 years making this. What a waste.