OWE Wrestling UK Tour

thescottishchamp87

Also, on the subject of OWE: I was brought up not to call people 'Oriental'. When I first heard of OWE, I thought they HAD to be fucking with the workers. Then they showed up at AEW with CIMA and crew calling themselves 'Oriental'. Did their name hit any of you as racist?

Edit: Just read up on it a bit. I have found that it is not officially considered racist in the British language. The word has been removed from American federal law, but that wasn't very long ago (2016). 

My question still stands, though, as I'd like to know your thoughts.

Edited by Whistling Skull

I do wonder what the real reason is behind the cancellation. Low ticket sales leading to OWE telling this McMahon lad to cover their expenses out of his own pocket and him subsequently shitting himself and doing a runner?

Trying to do three consecutive nights in Liverpool, a town where even the biggest local company struggles to fill a venue once every couple of months with a roster made up of lads who people have actually heard of, was especially mental. Any passing 5 year old would be able to tell you that trying to shift three lots of overpriced tickets for shows where the main selling point is getting to see wrestlers that only the absolute most hardcore fans are familiar with, in a tag tournament that nobody could possibly be arsed about, with the final (the one show anyone might be interested in) taking place on a Sunday night when people can rarely be bothered leaving the house, was a daft idea. The whole thing was massively over-ambitious right from the start, and the general lack of interest speaks volumes about how badly it's been promoted. Like, I'd not heard a single person talking about these shows until they got cancelled, and even then it's just been "ooh what's happened" rather than "ahh shit where's my refund."

3 hours ago, Whistling Skull said:

Also, on the subject of OWE: I was brought up not to call people 'Oriental'. When I first heard of OWE, I thought they HAD to be fucking with the workers. Then they showed up at AEW with CIMA and crew calling themselves 'Oriental'. Did their name hit any of you as racist?

Edit: Just read up on it a bit. I have found that it is not officially considered racist in the British language. The word has been removed from American federal law, but that wasn't very long ago (2016). 

My question still stands, though, as I'd like to know your thoughts.

From what I understand Oriental is fine if it is being used to describe things, eg an Oriental rug.

However it is  offensive to use to describe people so if it is oriental wrestling that's ok but if you refer to oriental wrestlers that is where the problem is

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, TheToeSucker said:

Was Brit Wes always sleazy? I mean I think I heard of the dude who was on Take Me Out who was a nonce?

BritWres is a subset of Wres, why wouldn't it always have been sleazy as well?