UKFF FPL 2019-2020

Fog Dude

The final scores went into the initial post on Sunday night, including the result of the FPL Cup final. Congrats to @Stinky Dad on winning that! He and RoryFice scored just 5 points between them this time rather than 22 last time they met, however, so they were the joint lowest scorers for the round. That probably dashes any remaining hopes of securing a Double for Stinky, whilst Rory is now likely to finish last of the remaining 9 participants.

Well, I say 9, but @Vegeta didn't take part this time. There aren't enough weeks left for him to be kicked out completely, and he has enough of a cushion to all but guarantee him a top-5 finish in the table. Nobody made it into double figures, but MVP RULZ was still the outright best performer and now must be favoured to wrap up the title this weekend, as only he and Briefcase managed any exact scores at all.

Both FA Cup semis produced outcomes that proved tough to guess beforehand, and eight goals at Craven Cottage were difficult to foresee as well. Wins for Genoa, Cardiff, Saints, Spurs and Burnley in the league turned out to be more fruitful in terms of one-pointers, but a disappointing home reverse for the Tigers and a score draw in Rome caught most people out.

One last set of 10 will be up in the first post shortly. There aren't enough decent matches to justify our usual 'bumper' final week, unfortunately. You'll all have a bit longer to get your picks in than usual, though, as no featured game kicks off until quite late on Saturday night. 

Week 38 fixtures  

Premier League
Arsenal 2-1 Watford
Chelsea 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Crystal Palace 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur
Everton 2-1 Bournemouth
Leicester City 1-2 Manchester United
West Ham United 2-1 Aston Villa

Serie A
Hellas Verona 1-2 Lazio (18:30)
Juventus 2-0 Sampdoria (20:45)

A Primeira Liga (Saturday 21:15)
Benfica 1-1 Sporting Lisbon 
Sporting Braga 1-2 Porto

Premier League
Arsenal 2-0 Watford
Chelsea 2-1 Wolves
Crystal Palace 1-3 Spurs
Everton 1-2 Bournemouth
Leicester City 3-2 Manchester United
West Ham United 0-1 Aston Villa

Serie A
Verona 2-1 Lazio

Juventus 3-1 Sampdoria 

Primeira Liga 
SL e Benfica 1-0 Sporting Clube de Portugal
Sporting Braga 1-1 FC Porto

Week 38 fixtures  

Premier League
Arsenal 2-0 Watford
Chelsea 2-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Crystal Palace 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur
Everton 0-2 Bournemouth
Leicester City 1-2 Manchester United
West Ham United 2-1 Aston Villa

Serie A
Hellas Verona 0-3 Lazio (18:30)
Juventus 3-0 Sampdoria (20:45)

Benfica 2-0 Sporting Lisbon 
Sporting Braga 0-2 Porto

NB. All games take place on Sunday and kick off at 16:00 unless stated. Start times are listed in BST.  

Sorry for the last round things been a bit hectic 

Week 38 fixtures  

Premier League
Arsenal 4 - 0 Watford
Chelsea 2 - 0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Crystal Palace 1 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur
Everton 1 - 2 Bournemouth
Leicester City 1 - 2 Manchester United
West Ham United 2 - 0 Aston Villa

Serie A

Hellas Verona 0 - 2 Lazio (18:30)
Juventus 2 - 0 Sampdoria (20:45)

Benfica 2 - 1 Sporting Lisbon 
Sporting Braga 1 - 3 Porto

Week 38 fixtures  

Premier League
Arsenal 2 v 0 Watford
Chelsea 1 v 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Crystal Palace 1 v 2 Tottenham Hotspur
Everton 1 v 0 Bournemouth
Leicester City 2 v 2 Manchester United
West Ham United 1 v 2 Aston Villa

Serie A
Hellas Verona 0 v 2 Lazio (18:30)
Juventus 3 v 1 Sampdoria (20:45)

Benfica 1 v 1 Sporting Lisbon 
Sporting Braga 0 v 2 Porto

Week 38 fixtures  

Premier League
Arsenal 3-1 Watford
Chelsea 2-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Crystal Palace 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur
Everton 2-2 Bournemouth
Leicester City 2-1 Manchester United
West Ham United 1-0 Aston Villa

Serie A
Hellas Verona 0-2 Lazio (18:30)

A Primeira Liga (Saturday 21:15)
Benfica 2-1 Sporting Lisbon 
Sporting Braga 0-2 Porto

Week 38 fixtures  

Premier League
Arsenal 1-1 Watford
Chelsea 2-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Crystal Palace 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur
Everton 3-1 Bournemouth
West Ham United 1-1 Aston Villa

Serie A
Hellas Verona 0-2 Lazio (18:30)

A Primeira Liga (Saturday 21:15)
Benfica 2-1 Sporting Lisbon 
Sporting Braga 0-2 Porto

Week 38 fixtures  

Premier League
Arsenal 0-2 Watford
Chelsea 0-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Crystal Palace 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur
Everton 1-0 Bournemouth
West Ham United 1-1 Aston Villa

Serie A

Hellas Verona 0-1 Lazio (18:30)
Juventus 1-0 Sampdoria (20:45)

Benfica 1-1 Sporting Lisbon 
Sporting Braga 0-1 Porto

Week 38 fixtures  

Premier League

Arsenal 2 v 0 Watford

Chelsea 1 v 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Crystal Palace 0 v 3 Tottenham Hotspur

Everton 2 v 0 Bournemouth

Leicester City 2 v 1 Manchester United

West Ham United 1 v 1 Aston Villa

Serie A

Hellas Verona 0 v 2 Lazio (18:30)

Juventus 3 v 0 Sampdoria (20:45)

Ah, too late for these. 

Edited by Grecian

On 7/26/2020 at 8:56 AM, Grecian said:

Ah, too late for these. 

Yeah, sorry about that. As late as last Monday, all the Portuguese games were listed as kicking off at the same time on Sunday afternoon, but things got changed at short notice then I decided it wasn't unreasonable to leave those matches in anyway.

On a more general note, the results went into the opening post on Sunday night, alongside the final table update shortly afterwards. Drumroll please... @MVP RULZ is the champion of the FPL for the 2019-20 season! Well done to him, and hard luck to everyone else. He finished with a double-figures performance as well, bettered only by Briefcase who also got 3 exact scores right. Stinky Dad fell away badly despite the consolation of his Cup win, and finishes level on points with me, something which looked highly unlikely a month or so ago. Of those who stayed until the end, Rory finished last, a full 4 points behind ultimo. 

It was a higher-scoring round than most were lately, with a decent average haul. Two home wins in Portugal were actually among the hardest outcomes to guess, as was the fact six goals were eventually scored in the Bentegodi. Score draws in Croydon and Stratford also caught a lot of people out, but widely expected victories for Arsenal, Chelsea, Juventus and Manchester United all proved fruitful. A necessary but futile success for the visitors at Goodison Park, however, turned out to be tougher to foresee. 

Although there's a full set of Scottish Premiership fixtures this weekend, don't expect to see the first card of the 2020-21 season up tomorrow morning. We're going to take a bit of a breather first, with a new sign-up thread sometime next month and, all being well, the inaugural set of 10 going live first thing on the 2nd of September. 

Thanks for running it again @Fog Dude and for keeping it going upon the return after lockdown

Think that's my 3rd title win after wins in 2014 and 2018 that I can remember

Think I was runner up in 2019 as well so close to a Hat trick of wins.

Looking forward to next season and trying to defend my title and fingers crossed it's an uninterrupted season for everyone.

It was my pleasure to run this again. Thanks to both of the above posters for their kind words, and to everybody who played or took an interest in the competition during this seemingly interminable season. We had two hiatuses, one due to forum downtime in November (which feels like a lifetime ago now) and the other which lasted 3 months in the spring because of an ongoing global pandemic.

That confusion meant it took two goes to calculate everybody's mean points score for the season as part of the final standings: 

Wfj8hIw.png

Even taking into account the reduced number of rounds, scoring was a lot lower this time. MVP RULZ got a full 100 fewer points than previous champion Briefcase managed in 2018-19. Briefcase himself sank to mid-table thanks to an extraordinarily low amount of bonuses, whilst ultimo's relative downfall was, like a failing point guard in basketball, an inability to bag three-pointers. 

I don't have a roll of honour to hand going back to the days when Seph and BushwhackerDel ran this whole endeavour, but luckily our new three-time champion seems to have a decent memory for such things. 

Vegeta actually managed a higher average weekly score than the eventual winner, but we don't give out any awards for that here. You've got to be in it to win it, as Dale Winton used to say (only because the Lottery Corporation paid him to). 

We lost Shy Dad to teacher training responsibilities along the way, but I was pleased to hear that he got his qualification in the end. I too have been juggling a postgraduate qualification with running this, and to be honest the almost total disappearance of football from mid-March to mid-June came along at a good time. I'll be watching the Cup final on Saturday, but the Scottish Premiership and UEFA competitions don't appear to be on free TV, so I'll be glad of the lack of distractions for the rest of August. I won't be starting the sign-up thread until I've at least handed in a draft for my Masters dissertation. That's the plan right now, at least.

For anybody that can watch those tournaments and wants to do so, I hope you enjoy them. For the rest of you, maybe take a break from footie too and come back refreshed in September. D2D picks will have to be in by the end of that month, at which point I'll decide on a format for next season's FPL Cup. There will be a maximum of one group stage next time, I promise! 

Right, this thread is now 85 minutes away from being a full year old, so I'd better wrap things there before neil comes in with a quip about how Brexit wasn't even "done" when it started and forcibly closes it. See you all in 2020-21, with any luck...