Parking in London

Keith Houchen

I'm driving down to that London on Sunday for the baseball.  It's at the West Ham ground, or the Olympic stadium or whatever it's called this week.  Is it worth booking a parking spot close to the stadium in Stratford, or is there some super duper scheme of parking somewhere else and getting public transport?  I believe the congestion charge doesn't apply at the weekend.

Don't worry, I won't be staying overnight so I'll not be polluting London with my racist, northern ways.

• Awards Moderator

Johnnyboy has great advice (as usual). Park at a station east of Stratford on the Central line and tube the rest of the way in. Epping is a good shout, as is Buckhurst Hill or Woodford. 

If you've not been before it can be a confusing walk from Stratford Station but I imagine there'll be tons of staff and/or marching baseball fans to follow. 

As long as you don't expect a kebab at a chip shop you'll be fine. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

I've never been to the London Stadium, but whenever we have been to Wembley(traveling from Barnsley), we have parked at Stanmore(there was a place charging £4 for the day but this was a few years ago now) and took the train to the stadium. I assume the London stadium is just as easy to reach via underground/overground train as Wembley is(albeit with a few extra changes of train maybe)...  

53 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

You can go direct to Stratford from Stanmore on the Jubilee Line (they're the end points on that line) but it's a fair journey right the way across London.

Edit: it's an hour by Tube, which might actually end up being quicker than getting to a train station on the eastern side of London and then a half hour from there.

I suggest you absolutely do not do this - its a very long time to be on a tube train and it'll be boiling hot on Sunday

• Paid Members

A lot of parking in London is residential on weekdays, but completely free on weekends. My own local area in Haringey is free parking all weekend, so see if you can find out if there are any areas nearer to Stratford that have similar restrictions (or lack thereof).