The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Is it only myself who has a problem with Blachowicz' first defence being a superfight? He's only just won his title after an era of utter dominance by Jon Jones; surely give him a couple of matches against the likes of Oezdemir, Glover, a rubber match against Anderson or a revenge match against Santos? He hasn't yet got started on the division; a superfight should only be an option after he's cleared out the division, no?

I know Adesanya's pretty close to having cleared out MW, but couldn't they match him up with Hermansson or even rematch him with Whittaker before jumping to that?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, jimufctna24 said:

Anderson is now in Bellator, mate.

Of course he is! Duh. Forgot he'd just left.

Still think there's a lot for Blachowicz to be getting on with before having to fight Adesanya though. 

• Paid Members

I think part of it might be about Dana saying ‘fuck you’ to Jones as well. Jones never had a Superfight in all the time he was champ (admittedly in large part due to his own fuck ups), I guess DC kind of was. But he was on about fighting Adesanya a while back and Dana didn’t seem too interested at the time. Now Jones is at odds with the UFC over his money and sitting out, suddenly Dana’s throwing this Superfight together as if to say to Jones ‘this could’ve been you if you played ball’.

He also seems to have gone a bit arsey with Robert Whittaker, using his old favourite line about ‘he didn’t want the fight’, which is bollocks. So probably a bit of that as well. 

Edited by wandshogun09

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Of course he is! Duh. Forgot he'd just left.

Still think there's a lot for Blachowicz to be getting on with before having to fight Adesanya though. 

Agreed, but do the UFC really care about Blachowicz or a light-heavyweight division that doesn't contain Izzy or Jones? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Agreed, but do the UFC really care about Blachowicz or a light-heavyweight division that doesn't contain Izzy or Jones? 

Maybe not, but they've got to figure something out; the division will be around long after Jones has retired, and Adesanya hasn't debuted in it yet - we don't even know if he's suited to 205.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Maybe not, but they've got to figure something out; the division will be around long after Jones has retired, and Adesanya hasn't debuted in it yet - we don't even know if he's suited to 205.

Izzy fighting to become a two-weight world champion is easier to promote than anything else occurring in the middleweight and light-heavyweight divisions right now. Blachowicz is just the guy with the belt really. I don't think he's anything special, either as an attraction or as a fighter. 

Of course, it could backfire on the UFC and Izzy, but it's a risk they are both seemingly willing to take. If it pays off, they can potentially book Izzy vs Jones down the road, which would be a monster fight, and possibly a passing of the torch moment if Jones decides to try and strike with Izzy.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Izzy fighting to become a two-weight world champion is easier to promote than anything else occurring in the middleweight and light-heavyweight divisions right now. Blachowicz is just the guy with the belt really. I don't think he's anything special, either as an attraction or as a fighter. 

I guess; it just feels a bit odd that we'd see an attempt at "hot-shotting" a belt in a real, non-pro-wrestling sport. You're right that Blachowicz isn't anything special in himself, but he is the guy that won the championship in a post-Jones division. 

9 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Of course, it could backfire on the UFC and Izzy, but it's a risk they are both seemingly willing to take. If it pays off, they can potentially book Izzy vs Jones down the road, which would be a monster fight, and possibly a passing of the torch moment if Jones decides to try and strike with Izzy.

I've got a horrible feeling that Jones wins that. He's got a nasty ability to out-do opponents in their own specialities, as we saw with Cormier. His fight IQ is ridiculous. Not to mention he still has that reach advantage.

I think that people are underestimating the importance of motivation when it comes to Bones. He looked ordinary in his last two fights, but they were against Reyes and Santos. You think he was motivated for those fights? Was he fuck. I was hardly motivated to watch them.

When Jones is up for it there's no one better. Look at how he handled DC for fuck sake. And the rematch with Gus? 

I remember seeing Jones in person for the first time in Vegas and thinking "Holy fuck, that dude is bigger than most of the heavyweights strolling around the place." He's a legit heavyweight. Seeing him for that presser when he hadn't cut down to 205 he looked every inch a guy who could easily have been fighting at heavyweight for a long time.

Nah, if they put Jones in there with Izzy we'll see Jones fuck him up. It'll be another of those times, just like the Conor/Khabib and Khabib/Gaethje fight where everyone is like "well, Izzy could win this..."

Only to actually see it unfold and go "Oh...."

• Paid Members
On 11/1/2020 at 5:19 PM, Carbomb said:

Is it only myself who has a problem with Blachowicz' first defence being a superfight? 

a little, but what a result for Blachowicz. A few years ago he was seen as little more than gatekeeper at 205lb'er and not a paticularly exciting one. Now he's put himself into a position to earn superfight PPV points and benefit from the popularity of Izzy, it's great to see.

• Paid Members

If it comes off, that's a brilliant fight. Neal is a guy I'm high on. If he can beat Thompson, it says a lot about how high he could climb. If he can't, then Wonderboy gets a good win and Neal won't be too hurt by the loss as it's still a significant step up for him, and shows Wonderboy still has plenty left in the tank.