The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

It's the dreamiest of dream matches in modern MMA and probably since Jones first bested DC. Foolish to not figure someone will lose a leg in training but at the very least we've got a date.

Similar to DC v Jones 1, you can make a solid argument this fight is the battle for the best ever in the division and potentially P4P too.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

I definitely think it’s the two best 155ers ever. And you’re right. It’s one of those clashes where you’re genuinely getting two of the seriously elite fighters of their era face off in their primes. It’s rare you actually get to see those. Jones vs Cormier and Fedor vs Cro Cop are the two that stand out off the top of my head. And even then, in the case of Fedor vs Cro Cop, that felt like the real Clash Of The Titans but you always had Big Nog around as well and he’d already beat Mirko. With Khabib and Ferguson, I honestly think it’s the two best ever at Lightweight. It’ll be a travesty if it never happens. This is something like the 5th time the fight has actually been announced. And it’s probably the best time for it to happen. It’s going to be a nail biting wait and my arse will be squeaking every time either of their names appear in a headline on the MMA sites. But surely it’ll happen this time. Surely. 

• Paid Members

What I like most about these clashes is, whilst we know both their strengths, both fighters are so elite we won't really know who has the edge until it happens. I mean, what reasonable person would have guessed Jones would be the one to get the better of the wrestling against a stud like DC? Or who would have thought Cain would take years off the career of JDS after they were supposedly the equal of one another going into the 2nd fight.

The other incredible part of this story is both their win records. Khabib has never lost and Tony hasn't lost in something impressive like 6 years. Both fighting in the UFCs strongest division, of course.

It's a proper legacy fight. Who is the GOAT? We shall see.

• Paid Members

Eh? I thought Sanchez had left the UFC? Could swear I read that recently. 

Yep. This’ll be where I read it. Nothing concrete though so obviously he reached a new deal with the UFC. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bloodyelbow.com/platform/amp/2019/10/30/20939496/report-diego-sanchez-no-longer-with-the-ufc-wants-lethwei-fight-at-wlc-mma-news

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Helwani tweeted that these two fights are being talked about for March as well...

Robert Whittaker vs Jared Cannonier - Mar 7

Johnny Walker vs Nikita Krylov - Mar 14

Apparently Walker vs Krylov is pretty much a done deal but Whittaker still likes the idea of fighting Darren Till in London. 

Huh. 

Not going to complain about that one, but that must mean a Stipe/DC III announcement is just around the corner? Apart from Ngannou, nobody really comes close to being a credible name for a crack at the belt. I can only see this being booked as a big platform for old Francis whilst we wait for the trilogy fight to play out.

12 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

but that must mean a Stipe/DC III announcement is just around the corner

DC says that he's on standby, waiting for Miocic to commit to a date. However, he added that given the UFC's loaded schedule throughout early 2020 and into the spring, the fight won't likely happen until the summer of 2020. 

So aye, it will probably happen eventually.