European Wrestling 1980's -mid 90's (NSFW)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Talking mid-90s European wrestling gives me an excuse to post this;

Fit Finlay vs. Terry Funk in Germany in 1996, but that's a match that I'd pay good money to have seen happen any time between 1978 and 2019. 

It's a really interesting dynamic, seeing Funk work a pseudo-Mountevans style round system, right around the time of his mid-90s resurgence, against a Fit Finlay arguably in his athletic prime. Funk's punches, and both guys' selling, are just next level.

The absolute highlight, though, is Fit Finlay's Boney M entrance music.

I remember that Eurosport wrestling coming on at all hours of the day as well, with the topless ring girls. They had some absolutely terrible wrestlers but occasionally you'd get the likes of Kensuke Sasaki or Owen Hart showing up as well as the British WOS guys and some of the decent European workers like Mile Zrno and Franz Schumann.

• Paid Members

Speaking of Owen Hart, taken from the same YouTube user;

Owen Hart vs Colonel Brody, with commentary by Orig Williams. 

He's also got matches featuring Finlay, Regal, Dave Taylor, Giant Haystacks, Bruiser Mastino (the future Mantaur), a very young Ulf Hermann, and perhaps oddest of all, a young Takashi Iizuka.

European wrestling is a goldmine for this kinda weird stuff.

I love how the girls cavort far dirtier than any divas or Nitro Girls but still get called the relatively bland "dancing girls".

There was a card up on YouTube that I can't find now with a main event of the Superflys against Robbie Brookside and Frankie Sloan with Fit Finlay as kind of the international guest underneath against Danny Collins. Seeing him coming out to "Belfast" was just as bizarre there.

I saw Takayuki Iizuka at the Prince of Wales Theatre in Cannock against Steve "Buffalo" Breheny, who they never got the name of right on the programme. Most often seemed to be Buffalo Beaney, prompting baked beaney chants!

Here's another Colonel Brody match I remember from back in the day, same YouTube channel, against Steve Regal. Brody, despite being a supposed South African, is out to "Hitler Has Only Got One Ball" and gets to swear in his pre-match promo:

• Moderators

Otto Wanz is responisble for a lot. The only thing better than him having a sponsor on his singlet, that sponsor being fags (Milde Sorte) is the sweet CWA assaults on the pop charts. Some real faces and names here, and a WCW wallet thief.

Disco Dave Taylor (Top Flight Reslo Gimmick, that one), singing "Nitty Gritty" is Grade A. The late Larry Cameron has a lovely voice though.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Speaking of Owen Hart, taken from the same YouTube user;

Owen Hart vs Colonel Brody, with commentary by Orig Williams. 

He's also got matches featuring Finlay, Regal, Dave Taylor, Giant Haystacks, Bruiser Mastino (the future Mantaur), a very young Ulf Hermann, and perhaps oddest of all, a young Takashi Iizuka.

I'm going to guess that's Arthur Psycho. EWF was ace. Tyler Mane vs Danny Boy Collins. Dave Sullivan vs Gary Clwyd. Rambo (Sniper from the Truth Commision) vs Klaus Kauroff. It was like a before it's time 1998 episode of WCW Saturday Night.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators
12 hours ago, BomberPat said:

The absolute highlight, though, is Fit Finlay's Boney M entrance music.

He used "Belfast" again during his All Star run after his WWE release a few years back. The least suited music to any wrestler ever.

• Paid Members

That earlier clip seems to have Steve Regal and the Reslo crowd pleasing "Steve Jones" gimmicks mixed up somewhere.

I remember my grandad telling me that he saw Andre the Giant or (Andre 'y Cawr' in Welsh), wrestle on S4C and I didn't believe him . Well, I guess he was right...

Nic Parry, the play-by-play commentator on that clip alongside Orig Williams, now spends his time working as a crown court judge and moonlighting as S4C's main football commentator for Welsh Premier and international matches (true, I promise), where he spends the entire 90 minutes trying to calm down Malcolm Allen.

Niclas-Parry.jpg

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, returner82 said:

European wrestling is a goldmine for this kinda weird stuff.

I love how the girls cavort far dirtier than any divas or Nitro Girls but still get called the relatively bland "dancing girls".

There was a card up on YouTube that I can't find now with a main event of the Superflys against Robbie Brookside and Frankie Sloan with Fit Finlay as kind of the international guest underneath against Danny Collins. Seeing him coming out to "Belfast" was just as bizarre there.

I saw Takayuki Iizuka at the Prince of Wales Theatre in Cannock against Steve "Buffalo" Breheny, who they never got the name of right on the programme. Most often seemed to be Buffalo Beaney, prompting baked beaney chants!

Here's another Colonel Brody match I remember from back in the day, same YouTube channel, against Steve Regal. Brody, despite being a supposed South African, is out to "Hitler Has Only Got One Ball" and gets to swear in his pre-match promo:

Ironically Regal's first ever match was against Brody with Regal being a legit "challenger from the audience" on Blackpool sea front. Regal thought he knew a bit about how pro wrestling worked and could get in the business that way, so rather than try to win, he started throwing worked punches to show he was in the know. Brody... didn't work with him.

• Paid Members

I caught the odd EWF programme on Eurosport back in the day. I remember seeing the Superflys (Jimmy Ocean and Ricky Knight), Ulf the Cruel (I don't know if this was Ulf Hermann, but he was a big dude), Travesty Man (a fat guy in a yellow singlet with black polka dots and a top hat of the same design, make-up, and yellow boas), and a few generic guys I didn't remember, including a young Middle Eastern-looking guy who got the crap kicked out of him by Ulf.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:12 PM, PowerButchi said:

Otto Wanz is responisble for a lot. The only thing better than him having a sponsor on his singlet, that sponsor being fags (Milde Sorte) is the sweet CWA assaults on the pop charts. Some real faces and names here, and a WCW wallet thief.

Disco Dave Taylor (Top Flight Reslo Gimmick, that one), singing "Nitty Gritty" is Grade A. The late Larry Cameron has a lovely voice though.

That's not Larry Cameron, it's Hercules Boyd.

Who was the WCW locker thief?

Edited by Pier Six Brawler