Jump to content

Welcome to the world of tomorrow - smart devices


Onyx2

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I got my free Google hub last weekend and after some brief fucking around, it's mainly become the living room equivalent of what Alexa is to my office; a  lovely Spotify speaker that can answer silly questions. Although the shopping list stuff and the ability to sync up to PodCast Addict make it slightly better. 

Also, make sure you use the that handy mute switch when you aren't using it. It's pretty good at easing my fears of them secretly listening into every boring conversation in the house.

  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Posted

I hope this is the best place for this (as to me this is the cutting edge of technology)

The Logitech Spotlight Presentation Remote that lets you zoom, focus et al on PowerPoint, does it need software downloads?

I'm getting conflicting information from Google and this place is always my fallback.

How I ever ended up in an IT department I'll never know.

  • Paid Members
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy! said:

The Logitech Spotlight Presentation Remote that lets you zoom, focus et al on PowerPoint, does it need software downloads?

I've never heard of it. From the Amazon product Q&A:

Q: Can I use the Spotlight without Presentation software?

A: Yes, you’ll be able to navigate your slides and move the cursor. Functionality is plug & play: You can move the cursor and click on links or videos. However, in order to use the advanced Spotlight highlights you need to install the Logitech App.

I would say for zoom you need software. 

 

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted

I got my Google home mini through Spotify this morning. I think I'm probably going to move it into the kitchen so I can get it to play music and/or entertain me while I'm cooking. It's loud. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I just got a Ring Pro. Cracking price so had to get it. Can’t wait to set it up and use it to tell Jehovah’s Witnesses to piss off from the comfort of anywhere in the world

  • 1 year later...
  • Paid Members
Posted

Two and a half years on and I have even more smart devices in my home: doorbell, thermostat, 4 minis, 1 max, smart sockets. Google knows literally everything about my family now.

But I have a niche scenario I can't work out that should have a really simple solution: I want an action to happen based on the temperature reported by my Nest thermostat. Specifically I want a smart plug to turn on and off based on the temperature inside the house.

I can get it to change based on the external temp, but inside seems massively complex. Nest used to integrate with IFTTT, but they parted ways. Every time I Google it (learning yet more about me) I found increasingly more expensive solutions.

Anyone else fixed this very first world problem?

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Not really on topic for this thread, but I was hoping one of you technology people can help me.

 

Do you know any alternative phrases for the process or ripping or copying all the images from a website?

 

I used to use a site many years ago that was full of galleries ripped from other pages or you could paste a URL and it would get all the pictures for you. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the site, but know it was partially named after the process. Thanks!

  • Paid Members
Posted

Don't know whether to ask this hear, or start another thread. My chromebook finally died this morning after about 6 years' service. I'm hunting for a new one, but also pondering whether I'd be able to get my paws on a Windows laptop to try and install steam for some other gaming activity. I have a budget, however, of only £300. I'm not looking for bleeding edge technology. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 27/01/2021 at 4:54 PM, KRS said:

Not really on topic for this thread, but I was hoping one of you technology people can help me.

 

Do you know any alternative phrases for the process or ripping or copying all the images from a website?

 

I used to use a site many years ago that was full of galleries ripped from other pages or you could paste a URL and it would get all the pictures for you. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the site, but know it was partially named after the process. Thanks!

The technology is called scraping. Don't know of any current tools but I'm sure there's millions out there.

@jazzygeofferz £300 is the perfect budget to get a laptop which will just about run Steam, providing what you run on Steam isn't too taxing. The laptop will be competent but not exciting so as long as you want it for browsing, Office, casual games and basic stuff. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I generally use my chromebook for YouTube and watching streaming services, which is why I've been getting along just fine with a chromebook. I've seen a laptop with 4gb of ram and a 500tb hard drive which looks tempting, but almost everything is out of stock at the moment. Mind you I do need to try and sort out the desktop pc my work donated to me. I was going to try and hook it up to my TV. 

  • 5 months later...
Posted

I'm looking at getting a smart light bulb (which I never thought I'd buy) but am aware that WiFi isn't particularly safe as people can use it to then hack into other devices. I've seen some now that can connect by Bluetooth. Would there be security issues connecting this way?

  • Moderators
Posted

Bluetooth is more secure due to the requirement for physical proximity. However, what you should really be doing is setting up a separate Guest network up on your router for all your smart devices to run off that Wi-Fi, and then keep all your personal devices on your main network. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...