SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

So, I'm watching the Hart Foundation vs Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard from SummerSlam 89, given today's news.

I realise now, I have enjoyed every Arn match I've ever seen but have actually not seen many of his matches of feuds. I recently watched him Vs Flair at WarGames 95 and then their matches on the Nitro episodes following that in October of 95.

Many on here have a far deeper knowledge of wrestling than I do. Please recommend some must see Double A matches and fueds, bonus points if I can catch them on the network.

• Paid Members

@jazzygeofferz to thread please.

Especially if there are any particular Alex Wright matches to recommend.

Yeah, go back to 89 and watch The Ultimate Warriors vs The Heenan Family at Survivors. That's fucking incredible and its every bit Arn's story as it is The Brain's, there's some amazing emotion all over Arn's face at various points.

• Paid Members

His match with Ric Flair at Fall Brawl '95, including his amazing pre match promo is awesome. Would recommend that highly. Worth checking out the unfolding storyline with himself, Flair, Pillman, and eventually Sting at that time leading into Halloween Havoc '95. Whole thing is cracking if memory serves me right  (no guarantees it does!)

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, mim731 said:

His match with Ric Flair at Fall Brawl '95, including his amazing pre match promo is awesome. Would recommend that highly. Worth checking out the unfolding storyline with himself, Flair, Pillman, and eventually Sting at that time leading into Halloween Havoc '95. Whole thing is cracking if memory serves me right  (no guarantees it does!)

This is actually exactly where I am in my Monday night war timeline rewatch. Tonight's episode of Nitro is listed as featuring a cage match between Arn and Flair.

Little off topic: a lot of people rag on 1995 in mainstream wrestling but both Nitro and Raw had lots of fun, one hour shows during the autumn. Nitro is generally better up and down but the Raw main events are usually decent too. Hart Vs Jean Pierre Lafitte from In Your House was actually a great match and their Raw main event rematch was very good as well.

• Paid Members

Somebody mention "Uncle Arn"?

I love him. My backyard gimmick was Ed Anderson, I was all about working body parts, to the point that I was called "The Human Armbar Machine". He is an incredible wrestler who can make his opponent look like a million dollars. His promos are very articulate, he never gets too shouty, but is usually very stern and makes sure to make his point. He also ensures that he gets his opponent over, or the match or whatever needs to be done. He strikes me as a consummate professional. If you want good examples of what he's capable of on the Network go through the NWA World Championship Wrestling stuff from the first half of 1986. He steals the NWA  World TV title belt from Dusty at the end of '85 and defends it almost every week on the show. Some of them are straight up squashes. There's one he has against Sam Houston where it looks like he might lose the belt, but manages to pull out the win. He has a couple against Ron Garvin that tell great stories. One is him just holding on for a time limit draw because Garvin is supposed to be on a completely different level to him and being readied for a feud with Flair/teaming with Magnum in the Crockett Cup. He has one against Manny Fernandes which is pretty damned good for a 10 minute match as well. Apart from the squashes he manages to make it look as though he's going to lose the title to whoever he's in there with, then they feed him a ham & egger now and again to make him look strong.

He's one of those wrestlers where if you haven't been "smartened up" you may not really appreciate him. He's like the wrestler's wrestler, if you will. He's a great heel, that guy who'll be able to make whoever he's in the ring with look great as well. Want to make your new guy look good in defeat? Stick him in there with Arn. Want to get your top babyface-in-waiting over before his main event run? Stick him in there with Arn. He's that reliable.

If memory serves he was one of - if not actually the first of- Barry Windham's contenders when he won the NWA Title in 1993. It's at Slamboree and Windham is being groomed to drop the belt to Flair.

Archived