Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

It's not even subjective. There's one answer and it rhymes with winvincibles. Of course I'm not going to vote otherwise, I'd be a shit Arsenal fan!

BUT as for the 2nd best PL team of all-time, I'd probably go with United in 93/94 or from 95-97. Simply for the reason that they seemed so much better than everyone else over that period of time that you wouldn't think anyone would stop them. Blackburn managed it that one time on the final day of the season to break a . When we won it in 98, I couldn't believe it because it seemed impossible. The 1-0 win at OT is easily one of my all-time favourite moments as an Arsenal fan.

Chelsea during Mourinho's first term also get a nod, for a similar reason in that I thought they were going to dominate for years and years. I know Ancelotti's team amassed more points and broke loads of records (only for City to break most of them last season), but the 2005 & 2006 Chelsea sides seemed much better to me, I think the league was a bit more competitive at that point with that big 4 mini-league.

If City win the title this season and next season, in similar fashion to last season, then they will be the 2nd best PL side of all-time instead. If they win it 10 times in a row, then they'll be a close 2nd.

The '99 United side obviously achieved greatness with the treble, but I don't think it was the best United XI in my lifetime. They've had better attackers before and after.

Edited by PunkStep

I don't think there is anything better in football than the jealous, entitled, sweet tears of glory hunting Man Utd fans and I doubt there ever will be.  I really hope Jose stays for a few years and that Saudi deal comes off and they still remain the second best team in Manchester.

• Paid Members

It's not asking who the best run club is though, it's asking who the best team is. No matter how the team is put together, they still hit 100 points. Using your FIFA analogy, Utd winning th treble was akin to someone loading up Football Manager and picking the side with the most money in 1998, same with Chelsea every season after the Russian purchased them. Even Arsenal spent big money for the time to establish their "Invincible" team. 

I honestly believe of you put up City's strongest team against any of the others, they would win 9 times out of 10. 

It's all wrong though, as Barnsley's 97/98 team with Jan Aage Fjortoft and Ashley Ward up top would have spanked them all(except the United team, who beat us 7-0. And the Chelsea team, who beat us 6-0. Or the Arsenal team who put on the best defensive display I've ever seen live. Not City though, they were Division 1 at a the time!)

Edited by Cod Eye

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

United fans will say United, Arsenal fans will say Arsenal, City fans will say City and Coventry fans will say whoever didn't cripple David Busst.

And neutrals will say Liverpool, obviously.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

It's not asking who the best run club is though, it's asking who the best team is. No matter how the team is put together, they still hit 100 points. Using your FIFA analogy, Utd winning th table was akin to someone loading up Football Manager and picking the side with the most money in 1998, same with Chelsea every season after the Russian purchased them. Even Arsenal spent big money for the time to establish their "Invincible" team. 

I honestly believe of you put up City's strongest team against any of the others, they would win 9 times out of 10. 

It's all wrong though, as Barnsley's 97/98 team with Jan Aage Fjortoft and Ashley Ward up top would have spanked them all(except the United team, who beat us 7-0. And the Chelsea team, who beat us 6-0. Or the Arsenal team who put on the best defensive display I've ever seen live. Not City though, they were Division 1 at a the time!)

It was just like watching Brazil.

• Paid Members
Just now, jazzygeofferz said:

It was just like watching Brazil.

It certainly was mate! Happy, happy times...

On a related note, if anyone like football documentaries, a group of Barnsley fans have made a documentary about my clubs ascent to the top flight, and its absolutely cracking! It's called "Daydream Believers" and covers things at the club from the depths of despair during the mines strike, when attendance dropped below 3,000, to the magical season where it all clicked and we got to sit at the big boy's table with football's giants...

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Cod Eye said:

It certainly was mate! Happy, happy times...

On a related note, if anyone like football documentaries, a group of Barnsley fans have made a documentary about my clubs ascent to the top flight, and its absolutely cracking! It's called "Daydream Believers" and covers things at the club from the depths of despair during the mines strike, when attendance dropped below 3,000, to the magical season where it all clicked and we got to sit at the big boy's table with football's giants...

At school, in English our football obsessed teacher gave us a project where we had to write to a division 1 club. I got Barnsley in the raffle. So I wrote to them and they didnt even send me a letter back. Just some sticker of a dog. No letter or anything!

"Just send him a sticker of a dog, he'll be happy with that."