I know (bad thing) was mostly bad, but at least (good thing)...

dopper

Not a great title, but I thought of a few things today which are remembered as being bad overall, but did have one particularly good moment:

I know Cameron was a terrible member of the WWE & NXT women's divisions, but that time an attempted slap on Asuka led to her being the victim of a stunning flying armbar should be on every NXT/Asuka highlight reel.

I know Sabu's WWECW run in 2006/2007 was mostly bad, but that time he put Cena through a table on Raw was amazing.

I know Scott Hall's short lived WWE run in 2002 was bad, but those trunks he wore with the nWo logo on them were great.

640ff4378d8ddf049bfe3e6cef2d2d3e.jpg

• Paid Members

Wait, people didn't like Sabu's WWE run? His matches with Cena and Big Show were superb, and his One Night Stand match with Rey was a corker, it was like he'd turned back time a good ten years. He fucked it up for himself, but in the early days he was one of the best things in the company.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, dopper said:

I know Scott Hall's short lived WWE run in 2002 was bad

Awful run, but even better than those trunks was how he sold the stunner. If you're from Miami, then you're going to have a good way of selling the stunner. Fact.

I know Virgil is considered a waste of space by most, but his face turn on Dibiase was white-hot and one of the most (if not THE most) perfectly executed face turns I've ever seen. Not just due to good booking, perfect timing and a strong build-up, but also how well Virgil played his part during the segment too. Say what you want about him, at that moment he got it spot on.

Fittingly, Ted DiBiase Jr had a great "mini turn" when he was forced to step in the ring with Orton as a member of Legacy. Ordered not to fight back, he played the part of the bullied, emasculated subordinate to perfection as he grew more and more cross with himself for taking the abuse, until finally being shoved into the ropes and retaliating on his return with a crowd-popping shove of his own, tears in his eyes (as my rose-tinted specs recall it).

He succumbed to an RKO and was probably back to running interference alongside Cody the following week, but for one night, for me at least, Ted Jr showed a flash of greatness unbecoming of his otherwise bland career.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I know Virgil is considered a waste of space by most, but his face turn on Dibiase was white-hot and one of the most (if not THE most) perfectly executed face turns I've ever seen. Not just due to good booking, perfect timing and a strong build-up, but also how well Virgil played his part during the segment too. Say what you want about him, at that moment he got it spot on.

Great shout.

Scott Steiner's debut... acceptable, or are we considering him falling off the apron and Test selling it as also worthwhile?

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Fittingly, Ted DiBiase Jr had a great "mini turn" when he was forced to step in the ring with Orton as a member of Legacy. Ordered not to fight back, he played the part of the bullied, emasculated subordinate to perfection as he grew more and more cross with himself for taking the abuse, until finally being shoved into the ropes and retaliating on his return with a crowd-popping shove of his own, tears in his eyes (as my rose-tinted specs recall it).

He succumbed to an RKO and was probably back to running interference alongside Cody the following week, but for one night, for me at least, Ted Jr showed a flash of greatness unbecoming of his otherwise bland career.

They also did something similar with Cody Rhodes, when Dusty helped Legacy and Orton still gave him an RKO. I think maybe management threw out those two angles as litmus paper to see which of the two young-bloods would be a better candidate to turn.

7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Wait, people didn't like Sabu's WWE run? His matches with Cena and Big Show were superb, and his One Night Stand match with Rey was a corker, it was like he'd turned back time a good ten years. He fucked it up for himself, but in the early days he was one of the best things in the company.

Dont get me wrong: Sabu is literally my favourite wrestler of all-time. His One Night Stand match with Mysterio was one of my favourite matches of 2006.

But I remember at the time feeling underwhelmed with the Cena ppv match, and some of the ECW TV matches (particularly the ladder match with RVD) were a bit of a mess.

I love him no matter what, but can understand people thinking at the time he didn't set the world on fire.

I love the stat though that in 2.5 years from late 2004 to early 2007 he went from being stuck in hospital thinking his career might be over to wrestling in all of WWE's big 4 ppvs.

• Paid Members

Matt Hardy vs. Edge was an awful feud that made Matt Hardy look like an absolute dickhead, but that first night when he showed up screaming about Ring of Honor was fun, even if it pave the way for all the shoot shit we see these days.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Matt Hardy vs. Edge was an awful feud that made Matt Hardy look like an absolute dickhead, but that first night when he showed up screaming about Ring of Honor was fun, even if it pave the way for all the shoot shit we see these days.

Cage match at Unforgiven was really good and the right man won. Sadly, it wasn't the end of the run.

Archived