UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Jones got suspended for 4 years, he could theoretically make a successful comeback. 34/35 isn't that old for a Light Heavyweight. Plus, it's not like Light Heavyweight is an ever-evolving division. Sure, new talent crops up occasionally, but serious prospects are few and far between. Oezdemir is the most exciting prospect to come along in a long while. 

However, the above comments have weight to them. There's a real feeling that the Jon Jones story might end tragically. If I were a betting man, I would wager he will end up with a lengthy prison sentence for some shit. 

Dana is a horrible twat, but he made a decent point last night. Jones should be the cornerstone of the company. He should be to the UFC what LeBron is to the NBA, Brady is to the NFL (sans deflate-gate), or what Joshua is to Matchroom boxing. Yes, he probably doped to some degree for most of his career; but his opposition were likely doing similar stuff. Juicing was part of the game, it probably still is to a lesser degree.

Jones has talent to spare compared to his peers at Light Heavyweight, and arguably everyone else in the sport. If the test stands, he'll be a wasted talent, despite being in the top 2 fighters in the sport's history. Mental. 

10 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

If Jones got suspended for 4 years, he could theoretically make a successful comeback.

He could, but a comeback is predicated on Jones not screwing up in a major way during the time that he’s suspended, and I think the chances of that happening aren’t too good. If Jones gets a four year suspension, and he should even though we all know the big stars get preferential treatment, then I can see such a suspension sending him off the deep end. A four year suspension for Jones will mean that the people around him haven’t been able to clean up his mess and minimize the consequences of his actions. For the first time in a long time, and maybe ever, Jones will have had the hammer come down on him in a big way and when you’ve gone so long in your life being protected from such a thing happening to you, when it finally does, it can often be too much to handle.

• Paid Members

The money he's lost over the past few years must be staggering. From his endorsements to his PPV points, mostly vanished. He sort of said as much, how little he's made over the past few years, which is why he's desperate to fight Lesnar. Now with a potential 4 years on top of that, must be wild that number, all in.

I truly wonder how many fights he gets in before he's past his prime. 2? 4? None? It's sad.

1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

If Jones got suspended for 4 years, he could theoretically make a successful comeback. 34/35 isn't that old for a Light Heavyweight. Plus, it's not like Light Heavyweight is an ever-evolving division. Sure, new talent crops up occasionally, but serious prospects are few and far between. Oezdemir is the most exciting prospect to come along in a long while. 

However, the above comments have weight to them. There's a real feeling that the Jon Jones story might end tragically. If I were a betting man, I would wager he will end up with a lengthy prison sentence for some shit. 

Dana is a horrible twat, but he made a decent point last night. Jones should be the cornerstone of the company. He should be to the UFC what LeBron is to the NBA, Brady is to the NFL (sans deflate-gate), or what Joshua is to Matchroom boxing. Yes, he probably doped to some degree for most of his career; but his opposition were likely doing similar stuff. Juicing was part of the game, it probably still is to a lesser degree.

Jones has talent to spare compared to his peers at Light Heavyweight, and arguably everyone else in the sport. If the test stands, he'll be a wasted talent, despite being in the top 2 fighters in the sport's history. Mental. 

He could but would then do the usual of fucking things up and getting full of Pedds, at least the UFC Amight pop 1 ppv buy with him

If WWE had any sense they would book Lesnar Vs Jones at Wrestlemania or have Jones as special ref in Lesnar Vs Reigns, then do something to set up the match between them at Summerslam or the Wrestlemania after.

Also could Jones fight in Japan or is he suspended worldwide, maybe he could help turn Rizin into the new Pride.

• Paid Members

I actually just feel sorry for him. It's such a sad state of affairs that someone so naturally gifted has failed to reach their full potential.

Clearly there's something wrong with him on some level that means he just keeps sabotaging himself. Fear of failure? The wrong people around him? Some sort of mental or psychological issue?

• Paid Members

It is sad seeing a talent ruin it for themselves, but it's up to him to handle his responsibilities. He's said as much recently. He's got a young family that he needs to take care of etc. Even if it was disingenuous, Jones praising DC's conduct and how he needs to emulate it, to become a true champion; truth.

14 hours ago, Chunk said:

Clearly there's something wrong with him on some level that means he just keeps sabotaging himself. Fear of failure? The wrong people around him? Some sort of mental or psychological issue?

Jones keeps screwing up because he’s been educated into believing he can do what he wants, and that any consequences to his actions will be minimized or otherwise dealt with. He’s a textbook case of someone who never learns his lesson because he’s never had to. Jones has never had the book thrown at him, never really faced the full force of the law in regards to anything he’s done wrong. There has always been someone to clean up his mess and make sure that whatever punishment Jones faces is greatly reduced from what it should be. So of course Jones isn’t going to clean up his act; he has no reason to. As long as someone is there willing to clean up after him, Jones is going to keep screwing up.

What I feel sorry for regarding Jon Jones is the fact that someone who is clearly talented and could obviously achieve great things is throwing it all away. I like to believe that people can change and I’d like to believe that Jon Jones can change. But we’re at the point where I now believe that the only way Jon Jones is going to change is through the inevitable tragedy that his behaviour is destined to bring, either upon himself or someone else.

On 8/24/2017 at 7:26 AM, D@mm said:

If WWE had any sense they would book Lesnar Vs Jones at Wrestlemania or have Jones as special ref in Lesnar Vs Reigns, then do something to set up the match between them at Summerslam or the Wrestlemania after.

Also could Jones fight in Japan or is he suspended worldwide, maybe he could help turn Rizin into the new Pride.

Jones vs Lesnar in a pro-wrestling match, you mean? 

They can't let an unsanctioned MMA match go ahead in a WWE arena. The cops would run in and split it up and arrest all involved. 

Archived