ITV World of Sport: Tapings postponed until July?

Psygnosis

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a huge fan of the old "World of Sport" wrestling or "Wrestling" as it was called back in the day & even attended a TV taping a couple of years before it was sadly axed. It is beyond me why they have hung on to the WOS theme, it means nothing to most of today's viewers & seems to offend the old school minority because the show is so far detached from what it has been associated with in the past.

I think the mistake they have made is to not try & create their own identity (unless their new identity is like TNA but shitter?). You can't compete with the WWE, so why even try? What they do have is a lot of talented workers on their roster. I personally would have tried to give it a slightly edgier feel to the show, still make it appeal to all ages but distance themselves from the WWE and the old WOS.

Around the time the original WOS was axed, Screensport presented "Satellite Wrestling" which was a combination of American Wrestling & Brian Dixon's All Star Wrestling (back when it was almost like a hardcore promotion). I loved these shows & feel that something along those lines would provide a better format for success.

Like many have already pointed out, the camera work was not good, nor was the commentary. It kind of made the experience a bit stressful for me to watch, when really i guess the objective is to sit back & let the wrestling do the thinking for you? Because the tapings were all done in one batch, i don't hold up much hope for improvements on these points. Why would they improve, as all ten episodes were taped before the first review?

I agree with all those who see it as a positive thing for British Wrestling, it is an improvement on the awful Christmas pilot show & a "shop window" for the roster in particular & British Wrestling in general. It would be great if they could get a 2nd Series & really improve from then on, but i aint holding up too much hope.

I assume there is no real reason why the WWE NXT UK tapings & the ITV show can't both be kind on the eye? But i am willing to bet that the WWE product is far superior & that has nothing to do with anyone working on either roster. Just because the WWE have more experienced & talented people who put their shows together.

1 hour ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Around the time the original WOS was axed, Screensport presented "Satellite Wrestling" which was a combination of American Wrestling & Brian Dixon's All Star Wrestling (back when it was almost like a hardcore promotion). I loved these shows & feel that something along those lines would provide a better format for success.

This was on prior to 1987 when Tricky was given a share of the ITV contract for what was then the lunch time Wrestling show. All-Star never 'made' any more wrestling shows for Screensport once they were back on ITV for the 87/88 TV swan song.

A load of the bouts are up on you tube on Arthur Psycho channel and are a real good watch , not sure of the ones in the circus tent, but it was certainly ahead of it's time and the crowd do get more than a little involved at times.

Interestingly Keith Myatt (yes that old bastard) is on a few of them and still going today.

Reslo on S4C by Orig was on throughout this period as well and did at times have other innovations such as a crowd barrier round the ring and a few gimmick bouts.

All of this long before a certain Alexander Spiliing claimed to have invented & innovated them for 'British' TV

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, fozzyrock1986 said:

Just read on the wos twitter page that so cal val, viper, joe Hendry and Kip Sabian will be on dermot o’learys Breakfast show on bbc radio 2 on Saturday. 

Interesting, they're definitely looking to capitalise on the biggest demographic that tuned into the show last week (male 45+ or something). I thought they'd try to target the younger audience a bit more to try and boost that rating.

• Paid Members

If ITV still care about live ratings (and I assume they do for ad-revenue purposes) then they're going after the market who are least likely to either record the show or watch it on-demand. Most of my relatives who are 45+ still buy TV guides and watch programs when they're scheduled. Every Christmas I'll try and teach them the basics of on-demand or recording a show to the cable box, and then when I'm there again they're back to their old habits. 

Cant wait to see the wreckage tomorrow, I am going for about 650k viewers, a good 20% drop. Give it under 500k next Saturday and then this is on ITV4 the following week.

To put that into context, WWE‘s flagship programme – Monday Night RAW – features the biggest names in wrestling and has been running for 25 years, and draws in around 3 million viewers each week. WOS’ figures essentially make it the second biggest wrestling promotion on the planet after just one show, but that’s not how producers will be looking at it.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/world-of-sport-wrestling-deserves-a-bigger-audience/
To put that into context, WWE‘s flagship programme – Monday Night RAW – features the biggest names in wrestling and has been running for 25 years, and draws in around 3 million viewers each week. WOS’ figures essentially make it the second biggest wrestling promotion on the planet after just one show, but that’s not how producers will be looking at it.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/world-of-sport-wrestling-deserves-a-bigger-audience/

I already wanted it to do well. See now and to shut your Shite up, even more so. If you don’t like it, fuck off and don’t watch it. Some of us are happy with it and want to see it keep going 

47 minutes ago, Louch said:

I already wanted it to do well. See now and to shut your Shite up, even more so. If you don’t like it, fuck off and don’t watch it. Some of us are happy with it and want to see it keep going 

I almost don’t want to watch it in case it pushes the viewing figures over the 650k mark

Archived