UFC on FOX: Johnson vs Reis - Apr 15

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the only way to beat Johnson at flyweight is to be quicker. Whilst Johnson is obviously highly skilled in all areas, his best weapon is his speed and quickness. Johnson is both fast enough to make himself hard to hit and grab hold of, and quick enough that can create openings for himself that most fighters wouldn’t get, openings that can allow him to negate the superior skills of an opponent. I don’t know that any current flyweight can match Johnson for speed, so I wouldn’t be shocked if the guy who does beat Johnson ends up being a strawweight who has moved up to flyweight and is naturally the smaller, and theoretically quicker, fighter.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic at this result. I've been saying for ages that Rob Whittaker is a legitimate contender, and he just proved it by obliterating the guy many thought was long overdue for a title shot in Jacare. Smart move of Rob to reference the fight that Bisping pulled out of (UFC 193), before he went on his little "Legend Killer" tour. I know GSP and Romero are next in line, but Rob's probably right behind him. Hell of a test in potentially facing Rockhold next, but I can't bet against Whittaker at this point.

In fact, I literally bet on Whittaker to win here- as well as Rose and Mighty Mouse- scored myself a nice bit of cash on this fine Easter day.

• Paid Members

Whittaker's next in line after Romero for me. Jacare was that guy and Whittaker just stopped him in impressive fashion. 

Then again, Mousasi has to slot in there somewhere too. 

Middleweight really is better than it's ever been. Right now you've got Bisping vs GSP coming up. Then you've got Yoel Romero, Gegard Mousasi and Robert Whittaker who could all step into a title shot against Bisping right now and nobody could grumble that they hadn't earned it. When you've got amazing fighters like Rockhold and Jacare coming off stoppage losses and a beast like Weidman riding a 3 fight losing skid, you know the division is stacked to fuck. Then you've still got Anderson Silva bouncing around, you've got Kelvin Gastelum on the rise, Derek Brunson. It's a crazy division.

Bisping's days are numbered. 

Cody Garbrandt has been saying in the past few weeks that he's open to fighting DJ at Bantamweight or Flyweight if the price is right, but that if it's the latter he wants to go down and win the 125lb belt before he gets too old for the weight-cut to become an even bigger issue.

I think regardless of the outcome of the Dillashaw fight, this should be the next fight he has - it makes sense for both Cody & DJ. Plus it's a super intriguing fight, one that I'd love to see! Not to mention they can promote the whole Champ vs. Champ thing which would do the world of good for DJ and his lack of promotion appeal.

• Paid Members

Even with champ champ on the line, I'm not so sure it's a fight that does the money both fighters are probably looking for, if it's a cards selling point. We'll all love to see it, but does it make them that significant pay bump (millions) to bother with either a killer weight cut or fighting a bigger fighter? On a Conor card, it's worth the extra work/risk, because PPV points and what not. UFC are really pushing DJ to move up it seems, seeing as he always gets asked about it by Stann, these days.

Dana and company should piss off and allow DJ to fight wherever he pleases. In a company where nearly every star they have has ended up falling from grace due to their own faults, or getting battered and falling off the planet, Johnson has remained a constant company guy. It might mean some people have the idea of him being boring and plain (which I don't particularly disagree with) but for the consistency he's provided the UFC with in terms of media, not pulling out of fights, not having stupid demands, they should piss off trying to get him to move up to Bantamweight and let him do what he likes. 

Mighty Mouse just doesn't get it, does he?

He's spent ages complaining that he should be paid the most because of what he's done, and demanding a million dollars, despite little fan interest in his fights and his failure to try and sell his fights on anything other than competence. Now, he's challenged Conor McGregor (weird, but possibly a sign he's clicked)....but then the daft cunt goes and says 'it's obviously not about wins and losses. He'll knock me out but I don't care, I'll get paid.'

Jesus Christ, DJ. You've got nearly everything going for you, but you're as dumb as bricks.

• Paid Members

What do you see next for Jacare? I guess they could do Jacare vs Weidman. They're both coming off losses and out of the title picture for the time being. Plus it would be a fascinating matchup in its own right. Bit rough on the loser though either way, especially if Weidman lost he'd be 0-4 then. So they might want to give both a little bit of a rebuild. 

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Weidman vs Rashad Evans next. And maybe do Jacare vs Brunson. 

When is Machida back? Surely his suspension is about due to be up? Seems like it's been absolutely ages. 

• Paid Members

it's just a huge shame DJ hasn't a leg to stand when demanding these pay cheques. 

Unfortunately numbers are in for last night's show and it's drawn the lowest overnight ratings in ufc on fox history.

• Paid Members

I saw a meme earlier that said something like, "I'm about to tie Silva's record this weekend!" with a picture of happy Silva underneath with "Yeah, and you'll be doing in on free TV". DJ equaling the record on free telly rather than a big show says it all really. UFC have made the hard sell of DJ being the best P4P (and now maybe best ever), but still no one outside of a hardcore base is arsed.

20 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

What do you see next for Jacare? I guess they could do Jacare vs Weidman. They're both coming off losses and out of the title picture for the time being. Plus it would be a fascinating matchup in its own right. Bit rough on the loser though either way, especially if Weidman lost he'd be 0-4 then. So they might want to give both a little bit of a rebuild. 

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Weidman vs Rashad Evans next.

I'd be well up for Jacare vs Weidman. 

Sadly, I could see Weidman taking out Rashad inside a round, and the whole thing leaving a sour taste.

DJ being the best P4P (and now maybe best ever), but still no one outside of a hardcore base is arsed.

I was going to mention this. You could make the argument that Mighty Mouse has surpassed or equalled Anderson and Fedor now. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Mighty Mouse just doesn't get it, does he?

He's spent ages complaining that he should be paid the most because of what he's done, and demanding a million dollars, despite little fan interest in his fights and his failure to try and sell his fights on anything other than competence. Now, he's challenged Conor McGregor (weird, but possibly a sign he's clicked)....but then the daft cunt goes and says 'it's obviously not about wins and losses. He'll knock me out but I don't care, I'll get paid.'

Jesus Christ, DJ. You've got nearly everything going for you, but you're as dumb as bricks.

Yeah, he obviously doesn't have the robust understanding of how the UFC actually works. Unlike you. You're missing a trick here Daz, you should be offering your expert services to fighters like DJ, Aldo & other fighters who you've claimed 'don't get it'. Maybe then they'll be able to achieve to your levels.

Unbelievable.

Yeah, that's how it works. You should only ever have an opinion on something unless you've done it yourself. I will never criticise anyone or anything ever again, unless it's TV production, eating chocolate or ingrowing toe nails.

And just because someone is an elite fighter, we should  ever question their business acumen.

Anyway, I never said I was an expert, I just think Mighty Mouse has consistently proved himself to be terrible at fight promotion. And there are actual figures to back that up, I'm not pulling that out of my arse. This weekends fight had like 6 viewers, and it's because Mighty Mouse has got himself stuck in a mindset where everyone else is wrong, and it should solely be about wins, losses and raw skill. It's a shame he's not right, that'd be a perfect world, but you can't moan about wanting to be paid like McGregor, if you're unwilling to play the game.

Also, I don't know why you brought up Aldo or 'other fighters I said don't get it'. I only mentioned Mouse. On his day, Aldo promotes a mean fight.

• Paid Members

Not at all, you can have an opinion.  Even if it's nonsense such as your belief that DJ doesnt understand how the UFC works.

Funnily enough not all great fighters are great promoters. It's almost like the promotional responsibility lies with the promoter. The clue is in the title.

Archived