UFC on FOX: Johnson vs Reis - Apr 15

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Whittaker showing was a joy to watch - 8 mins or so of perfect fighting.  I love Jacare but Whittaker made him look old and past it.  I wonder if Jacare was over confident going in, but don't let that detract from the performance of Whittaker. As perfect a display as I've seen so far this year. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Did anyone catch DJ's post fight presser? He basically made a point of saying "why stop at 11 ... let's set the bar high and go for 12, 13, 14".

What a moron. I totally understand breaking the record but why would he not go up a weight after that to make more money? He clearly cares about money because he mentions it all the time!

• Paid Members

Again though, I don't get why he's a moron for wanting to not just break but smash the record set by Anderson. If he beats it by 1, that's cool. If he beats it by 5 or 10...it might never be broken.

I don't think him going up in weight guarantees a money fight either. Two champions from two weight classes doesn't automatically = $$$. McGregor vs Alvarez did because McGregor was involved. GSP vs Penn did for the time because they were two massive names back then. Bisping vs GSP will be huge because it's GSP's return and Bisping will hype it up a storm. Mighty Mouse vs Garbrandt or Dillashaw though? I don't see it as this big money spinner at all. It's more interesting to me as a fan than DJ's options at flyweight obviously. But I don't think it's some mega payday that DJ would be an idiot to miss. He might make slightly more money but he's a lot more likely to lose as well. Plus, Cody Garbrandt just got the belt. He hasn't even defended it yet. It's too early for superfight talk IMO. 

I think Mighty Mouse is someone who will be appreciated more when he's long been retired. 

I thought Aljamain Sterling looked good on the prelims. I like him. He's still putting things together but I can see him becoming a contender in the next few years. I love that he seems to have based his look on Big Daddy Kane as well. 

image.jpg

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Again though, I don't get why he's a moron for wanting to not just break but smash the record set by Anderson. If he beats it by 1, that's cool. If he beats it by 5 or 10...it might never be broken.

Because he openly says he wants more money. He wants money and it's obvious what he needs to do to get money yet he doesn't do it. Hence: moron.

I'm actually a DJ fan and enjoy watching his fights too ... I'm not trying to hate on him. If he cared about the history and the records more than the money then that makes sense to me, I could totally understand it. Complaining about something but refusing to do an obvious thing to resolve it makes no sense to me though. You're not going to earn the sort of money you want by doing what you're doing - rightly or wrongly that obviously isn't going to happen. So either stop complaining about it or make the obvious changes needed to make the money you want.

• Paid Members

How does going up in weight to fight a killer like Garbrandt guarantee he makes more money? Is Garbrandt some proven PPV draw? I think he certainly has the potential to be in time, but it's very very early doors at the moment. 

If you mean you want him to trash talk then why? It's not him. Why do you want him to fake something. And that doesn't guarantee he suddenly becomes a money machine overnight either because most fans will see straight through it unless it's an organic and natural beef he builds up with an opponent he genuinely dislikes. 

The only way I see Mighty Mouse making truly huge paydays is if he can get PPV points as co-main to a big McGregor or GSP fight or something like that. Maybe that Cody/TJ 'superfight' under a McGregor fight. But a lot of things have to fall just right for that to happen. And that's mostly down to where the UFC want to plug in certain fights. It's not so much in DJ's control. 

People are going on like it's easy for DJ to suddenly start making huge money and that he just doesn't want to do it. But that's going on the assumption that a) a catchweight or superfight with Cody or TJ will generate big bucks. I just don't see it. And b) that all he needs to do is become a master fight hyper like McGregor. Which if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. What else can he do that's so obviously and easily going to line his pockets? 

It's not as simple as people are making out at all. All he can really do is try to get a fight on a McGregor/GSP PPV and/or moan about it and hope against hope fighter pay improves in general. 

• Paid Members

I don't get why people think it's a wrong move for DJ to remain in his division and keep improving his record. He said after the fight at the weekend he'll only move up for a million dollar pay day, which he'll only get if he's on a show that draws. I think that is a fair move because if DJ hasn't got that P4P/best ever hype then he's back to being the Ned Flanders of MMA.

• Paid Members

Exactly, that's all I'm saying CB. If say Cody keeps winning at 135 and becomes the big star people think he can be, and DJ completely wipes out Anderson's record by about 5 or 6 defences or something, and people start talking about Cody vs DJ as a legit superfight...THEN maybe it's a huge payday on its own merit. Maybe.

Until then, it's only going to be a money fight for Mouse if it's positioned on a huge PPV with PPV points. So he's best off just staying at 125 and building on his legacy and creating history until such an opportunity presents itself. 

Although, fuck knows who's next at flyweight. Maybe Elliott again? Who's the current top 5? Mouse has probably schooled all of them already. Twice. 

That's more of an immediate problem here IMO. The lack of challengers at 125. There are good fighters there but the division is so close and competitive under DJ that every time it seems like we have a fresh challenger emerging, they lose. It happened to Smolka who was looking like a real prospect and now he's on a losing streak. Sergio Pettis is on a good run but Cejudo is probably going to eliminate him from the running next month at 211. Benavidez is already 0-2 to DJ. It's a real problem. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

How does going up in weight to fight a killer like Garbrandt guarantee he makes more money? Is Garbrandt some proven PPV draw? I think he certainly has the potential to be in time, but it's very very early doors at the moment.

It's a fair point about exactly how much more he makes by moving up but surely he has to make more money by moving up. A fight against Garbrandt has to have more appeal to audiences than anyone left at Fly Weight. Not to mention you could market the fact he was moving up a weight class to find competition and that he'd be trying to win two belts simultaneously.

• Paid Members

I hear you, Chunk. 

It's surely going to get to the point that people start clamouring for it eventually. I mean, it's not like 135 is heaving with interesting title contenders either. You've got Garbrandt, Dillashaw and Cruz in that mix and then what? So maybe Mouse goes up and challenges whoever is the champ simply because of the lack of interesting title fights at either weight. 

I'd like to see him fight any of those three. Just because they'd all be way more intriguing fights than anything on the horizon at flyweight. A rematch with Cruz could be fantastic as I think both have improved a ton since 2011. And fights with Cody or TJ are so fascinating on paper. But I'm not sure any of them are that realistic at the moment. Mighty Mouse at 135 might be one for a year or so down the line. 

6 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I thought Aljamain Sterling looked good on the prelims. I like him. He's still putting things together but I can see him becoming a contender in the next few years.

Weird thing about Sterling: He's had 7 UFC fights, he was ranked top ten for 4 of them, and yet he's never fought on the main card.

I like Wand's idea

I had a glance at the Flyweight rankings last night. It's slim picking for Mighty Mouse from here on out. He could do what Penn did in 2009. Fight the Champion in the division directly above, while not vacating his own belt. Yes, that will put another belt on ice for a while, but it's not like there's a queue of credible challengers in line. While Mouse is fighting Dillawshaw or Cody, a more obvious challenger at Flyweight might emerge in his absence. 

• Paid Members

Anyone see Horiguchi win in Rizin at the weekend? He's arguably one of the biggest threats to DJ at this point and he's not even in the UFC. Here's the fight (until it gets taken down):

• Paid Members

nice spoiler Chunk :(

Im slow as fuck getting around to this but i find it hard to fathom some of the stuff written here regarding Johnson's run...a Mickey Mouse title run, really?? The guy's cleaned out a great division, it lacks names but in terms of skill level he's absolutely owned the cream of the crop, you just have to look at how the other guys fair when they fight each other, it's all competitive but when Johnson fights them it's all just on another level. He's no.1 without doubt.

Promotion wise it's an odd one, i feel people are warming to Johnson and put in front of a new market like he was Saturday he was treated like a star, but then you read that the show did the lowest numbers in UFC on Fox history. I have no real issue if Johnson carries on like HBO did does with Chocolatito Gonzales in Boxing, he's widely seen as the best lightweight fighter in the world (despite losing his last fight), but he's continuously partnered up with GGG as a little package deal, maybe that's how it'll have to be going forward if Johnsons's name isn't big enough to carry a PPV, he certainly adds weight to it. As for money though i think any guy who's that good, defended the belt that many times deserves to be paid the$ $$$. I know the money generated at the gate and through other avenues leads to what you get really but the Champion should be taken care of.

Rest of the card was really good, i had to watch it in several blocks but there was lots of good stuff there, Whitaker beating Jacare was the main one. It really felt like the UFC were priming Jacare for the next shot, talking of the 8 fight deal and whatnot. Jacare himself come out like the fight was a foregone conclusion, maximum props to Whitaker, he got into bad positions, good out and punished Jacare on the feet.

• Paid Members

That's what impressed me most about Whittaker. It would've been one thing if he'd come out and just caught Jacare early and never let him recover. Still impressive but you'd have no doubt had people saying he 'got lucky'. The way he did it though, left no doubt that he thoroughly deserved that win. He got to show that he can survive some tough spots with a grappling Godzilla and get back up and knock him around the cage. He looked great. I knew he was good and I even said in the OP, you can never count out a guy with that combination of his power, toughness and fearlessness. But I never thought he'd make that leap to beat the absolutely elite guys. I definitely didn't see him beating someone like Jacare so convincingly. There was always a chance of him landing that killer punch and finishing it. But I never saw him winning from start to finish like that and having an answer for everything. He got it spot on. 

Heres Bisping's take on the fight, by the way...

"I did take to Instagram and talk some shit on Jacare. That guy has had a chip on his shoulder, been talking a lot of smack about me for a long time now. The fucking disgusting looking bastard that he is." 

:laugh:

In case you can't be arsed to watch, he also says there that he'd be up for defending the title against Robert Whittaker after the GSP fight, instead of fighting Yoel Romero. Just to "wind Yoel up". Just waiting for the backlash against those comments. To be honest, under any other circumstances Whittaker is a perfectly deserving next contender. But Romero's already been waiting a while and he should get first dibs for sure. I love Bisping but his thing of 'well Romero is a cheat so he doesn't deserve it' is all well and good but it doesn't really stand up when you were fine fighting Anderson (who also failed a test) and your first title defence was Hendo (who you accused of cheating because if the TRT thing). 

It's just a matter of time until the belt is where it belongs. 

image.jpg

Archived