You have a week to live...

Steve Justice

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the patently alarming bombshell in the title, I still read the rest of Off Topic in reverse order of newest reply before clicking on this one for the particulars of my impending demise.

Even the Emmerdale one, and I don't watch Emmerdale.

So I think that says everything about how productively I'd spend my final week on Earth.

It's not one of the following, it's all of them.

Depending on your choices, it's plausible they'd take a week. It's probably also best to not take this too literally. It's basically your last chance to watch/listen/play some of your favourite media for the last time. Just interested to see what peoples choices are.

• Paid Members

Re-watch three films.
Re-watch one season of a TV show.
Listen to five albums you've already listened to.
Play one computer game you've already played.

I'd rewatch Cabaret, The Running Man, and Howl's Moving Castle. I'd relisten to:

Novos Baianos "Acabou Chorare"
Sergio Mendes "Ye-Me-Lay"
Badfinger "Wish You Were Here"
The Clash "London Calling"
ELO "Greatest Hits"

whilst playing a nice good bit of Skyrim

and then I'd settle down to watch the last season of 30 Rock.

• Paid Members

I think I'd spend the week drinking bourbon, power-wanking and listening to Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie very loudly. No need for any of this telly and games stuff, although I might watch a few episodes of Midsomer Murders to jazz it up a bit. Not really a 'season' per se, but I would blast through a boxset of Supermarket Sweep from the 90's.

Any season of Bottom. I suppose the third one's the best, really. Edging out S5 Simpsons. You want colour, bliss, laughs aplenty. I'm not clocking off to the red wedding or some bollocks like that. GTA V probably gets the game spot for similar reasons. It's not my favourite game but it's the peak running around having a laugh game, and that's what I'd want.

For films give me End Of Days for a starter, just to be cheeky. Arnie's awesome curry vodka blender breakfast and Gabriel Byrne as tit grabbing satan. Willy Wonka, The Matrix, Con Air and Face Off round it out. I'm taking the two Cage action movies. That's honestly the most fun list of films I can imagine.

For music Abbey Road, Master Of Reality, Violator, Station To Station just to be all cokey if I can bring a bottle of scotch and Gatecrasher Classics Vol. 2, CD 2. I'm very specific about this.

• Paid Members

I'd spend my week abstaining from climax, hunt down Miriam Rivera, pay her accordingly and give her the most aggressively eager 20 seconds of his existence with the most belligerent upright it's seen in a few days at least. 

The week long break would do me the world of good too, as lately I've noticed less volume and less impetus. It's more like I knocked over a bottle of Tippex lately, so I may need to reign it in. 37 is a bastard.

Before that, to take my mind off all things I'd do the following:

Re-watch three films : This is Spinal Tap, Deadpool and Caddyshack. And Aliens. And Bruce Willis' Last Man Standing.

Re-watch one season of a TV show : Police Squad!

Listen to five albums you've already listened to : Mr.Bungle, Angel Dust, Around The Fur, Weather Report's Heavy Weather, Herbie Hancocks' Headhunters and I'll sneak a Transitions podcast by John Digweed

Play one computer game you've already played : Creatures on the Commodore 64

I guess I need to do mine too.

Films

Taken, The Crow & Friday. Taken is my numero one film, The Crow used to be and Friday is just something I loved as a teen.

TV Show

Probably season one of The Shield. The show was consistently great for me and not one season really stuck out as being the best, but season one is what made me a fan of the show.

Albums

This is a tough one for me because I've never been a great lover of albums, more individual songs. I'll go for those that I have owned in the past as I've liked a vast majority of the tracks on them. The Chronic, Dirty Dancing OST, The Essential Elvis Presley, Thriller & Led Zeppelin 4.

Game

I'm torn here because The Last Of Us is my favourite game, but I want to go with something that is more light hearted, yet great. So I'll go with Red Dead Redemption.

• Paid Members

Re-watch three films.

Commando

Rocky IV

Police Story 2

Three films that just get my fucking blood pumping.  Next to sod all motivates or inspires me these days, and yet I watch these films and I'm 15 all over again, ready to play Wembley Doubles for six weeks solid with scarcely a bite to eat or drink, capable of sustaining more than one erection a month, and contemplating a press up.  I reckon, whatever the diagnosis, you watch those three back to back and it'd cure it.

Re-watch one season of a TV show.

Quantum Leap, and it's that good a show i'll let you pick the season.  Really dosent matter.  The pilot S1, Jimmy S2, The Leap Home S3, The Leap Back S4, The Evil Leaper S5 and that fucking finale...

I LOVE Quantum Leap.  While other kids loved their superhero's, their Batman's or whatever, I idolised Dr Sam Beckett.  That's a superhero.  I mean there's so many facets of the show I loved, Sam's relationship with Al, the brushes with history, the wide range of stories told, the fact that despite knowing every single episode Sam would save the day, you could never predict exactly how!  You'd have to try pretty hard to convince me of a better TV character in my lifetime.

Listen to five albums you've already listened to.

Not my strong suit this, I'm no music aficionado...

Rocky IV OST

Gladiators - Songs from the TV show

Michael McDonald - Greatest Hits

Bone Thugz N Harmony - E1999 Eternal

Warren G - G Funk Era

Play one computer game you've already played.

Street Fighter 2.  I'd dread to think of how much time I spent playing this in my teenage years.  While you lot might head to our nations capital to take in the history and culture, I head straight to Las Vegas on Wardour Street to get in a few games whenever I head to London.  Ken, naturally.  My brother convinced me to have a stab at SFIV the last time we went.  Ken, naturally.  But I've no desire as with so many aspects of my tastes, to diversify my portfolio, I even have it on one of those little hand held Mega Drives and will blitz it on train journeys and the like, going back to the start every time I fail to win a round and starting from scratch until I dominate.

Are these the only things we're allowed to do during that week? If so then most of it will be spent playing Dark Souls, trying all sorts of silly runs including the dreaded soul level 1 challenge which means you can't spend souls on upgrading a single stat.

During this I'll be listening to 5 Coil albums on repeat, Scatology, Time Machines, Loves Secret Domain, The Ape Of Naples  and Musick To Play In The Dark. Five different eras and five very different sounds of my fav artists.

Season one of Twin Peaks, easy.

I'd already be going through an existential crisis but I'll help it along by watching Stalker (the Tarkovsky film). I'd probably stick on Akira and My Neighbor Totoro too.

• Paid Members

Right then:

The Warriors, Wall Street and The Godfather II. In that order. With all the Hot Sauce flavoured Snyders Pretzel Pieces and Chipotle Walkers Sensations my body can handle. 

Agaetis Byrjun - Sigur Ros

The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place - Explosions in the Sky

Handwritten - The Gaslight Anthem

Live In New York City - Bruce Springsteen

Purple Rain - Prince

Would finally crack open the 1915 Gold Medal edition bottle of Jack Daniels I have on the shelf to go with that lot. 

Season 3 of The Thick of It. The first season of my favourite TV show that lasts more than a couple of episodes. Would need a good laugh.

Madden 25. One last go at building a dynasty. Hit stick every tackle.

Archived