Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

I LOVE the post-show pressers. Always a mix of someone asking a genuine question because they fucking well should and some twitter berks doing the Lisa Simpson runaway freight train bit. Big stupid mess, they'll only get rid of them properly when it no longer benefits or they've shat the bed with another scandal. I've got a soft spot for HHH being awful at handling them because he's so wonderfully thin skinned.

If you know how to work the press conferences then they can be great, but it's a fine line to walk between kayfabe and reality. 

Cody and Rhea have perfected it in WWE, and Osprey is really good at it, but I suspect that's from years of New Japan conferences.

Then you have the likes of Punk and HHH who try to answer in a "we know you think you know everything, but you don't" way, which I don't mind. 

Whereas whenever I see Jade she just comes across as really arrogant and annoyed to be asked questions, so much so it has soured me on her completely. 

We all know the best way to be in a press conference is full on character anyway, especially when you're Toni Storm, even if you're not, just be Toni Storm

• Paid Members

Bash in Berlin went the same way all these international B shows have gone. It's becoming a pattern. Mostly skippable, house show-style shows, in front of amazing crowds that deserve more.

CM Punk vs. Drew was just fine. The work was good. Definitely more of a fight than at Summerslam. Punk seemed strangely loose in terms of the risks he put his body through, too. Some wild bumps for a man so seemingly injury prone these last few years. It was all for naught though. There was no way they could overcome the dumb stipulation. I hate you so much that I'll switch some fucking traffic lights on. Game Show bollocks. Might as well have got Ant and Dec in to host. Michael Cole sounded like a complete plank shouting and screaming about when lights should go on or off.

At least it became clearer than ever how unscripted Punk's promos must be these days. Man's fighting against the tide. Talking at length about how, "this isn't about the bracelet," on Raw, only for the agents to respond, "nah mate, it actually is about the bracelet," when they put the match together on the day. Skip the Hell in a Cell match, lads. This feud is dead.

Laughable that anyone would call this the best Strap Match of All Time. Go back and watch Danielson vs. Starks. It wasn't even Danielson's feud! He came in last minute as a substitute for Punk and it was still the wildest, most violent, cathartic match of all time. Whipping Starks in the face with a strap, before choking the bastard out cold. Incredible.

IMG_9425.thumb.webp.4300e68676a255228c234f174ddea516.webp

I like the idea of Triple H watching this and thinking, "hmmm, needs more traffic lights."

It's probably still too early to call it, but the longer this goes on the more ironic it feels that Punk is the wrong man, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. In 2024 WWE, he just doesn't fit in at all. Backstage bullshit and petty drama aside, AEW feels more and more like where he did and would have continued to do his best work. I mean, what's next? A Gunther feud over the belt just feels weird. He'll almost certainly turn to dust the first time Gunther chops him, too. Send him home until the Stone Cold match at Mania.

By contrast, nothing is more suited to 2024 WWE than the God Damn Judgment Day! Rhea and Damien vs. Liv and Dom was the absolute tits. Fantastic fun. WWE at its best. Definitely worth going out of your way to watch. Liv's obviously the weak link, always seemingly one second off and constantly coming close to injuring Rhea, but the other three are over as fuck and this daft nonsense is clicking like nobodies business. The crowd when Rhea got her hands on Dom was something else. A reaction even Stone Cold or The Rock could dream of. Rhea Ripley vs. Dominic Mysterio is a Wrestlemania Main Event if they can delay it long enough.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Supremo said:

By contrast, nothing is more suited to 2024 WWE than the God Damn Judgment Day! Rhea and Damien vs. Liv and Dom was the absolute tits. Fantastic fun. WWE at its best. Definitely worth going out of your way to watch. Liv's obviously the weak link, always seemingly one second off and constantly coming close to injuring Rhea, but the other three are over as fuck and this daft nonsense is clicking like nobodies business. The crowd when Rhea got her hands on Dom was something else. A reaction even Stone Cold or The Rock could dream of. Rhea Ripley vs. Dominic Mysterio is a Wrestlemania Main Event if they can delay it long enough.

100% agree, altough that "Terror Twins" nickname for Rhea and Priest can get in the bin. I think it *just* about worked when it was just the commentators calling them that, but seeing them use it themselves is awful. Sounds like a bad 80s synth pop duo. 

On 9/1/2024 at 1:23 PM, Lorne Malvo said:

All of those post-PPV press conferences are utter shite anyway, I've no idea why WWE and AEW continue to do them. Just a weird mix of kayfabe and reality with the worst 'journalists' asking stupid questions. They often seem to do more harm than good and detract from the PPV, I'd be happy if they went away forever.

I dunno seeing Will Ospreay going mental when one of the journalists said 'Romford Recorder' was worth it! Absolutely superb and the story Will told was brilliant

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, mim731 said:

Sounds like a bad 80s synth pop duo. 

It was used as a nickname for Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee of Motley Crue and Steve Clark and Phil Collen from Def Leppard. So I hear the name and just think of alcohol and heroin based on the stories of them. Maybe it’s one they should’ve researched a little bit.