UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs Johnson - Sep 17

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Only just caught up on this. Like Guy says, bit of a hit and miss show but the hits made it worth sitting through the misses.

The Skelly vs Blanco 19 seconds of craziness was tremendous. Got to be almost a shoe-in for Submission Of The Year. It's right alongside Michael McDonald's comeback choke at UFC 195. Skelly's goofy as fuck but I like him. He reminds me of Matt Riddle (remember him?).

Really enjoyed the Benitez vs Sicilia fight a lot. That was my FOTN. Benitez looked really good, I thought. Sicilia was game as always but he just got picked apart in the end.

I like this Belal Muhammad bloke. Had that barnburner against Alan Jouban a few months back and I liked his aggressive style here as well. Glad to see him pick up his first UFC win. Got a feeling we'll see a few exciting fights out of him.

Thought the Brunson vs Hall stoppage was a tad premature. I don't think Hall was getting out of that position though. With a fresh Brunson on top of him, things were going to get a lot worse. And Hall was wobbly when he got up. Not the worst stoppage ever but it'd could've been left a bit to play out maybe.

Brunson's been quietly climbing the ladder to fuck all fanfare but he's making people take notice with these first round stoppages now. Seems like he can talk a pretty good game as well.

Johnson vs Poirier ending so quick was a bit of a surprise. Shouldn't be I suppose because both are dangerous but I never expected a quick finish in this one. I was leaning towards Johnson winning but the way he did it was impressive. What was the crack with these two though? Why the bad blood? I didn't really follow the buildup at all, didn't watch interviews etc. But with the way they were at the weigh in, then not touching gloves at the start of the fight, then Johnson taunting Poirier after the KO, what was the beef?

Johnson looked a right cock after the KO, didn't he? That stupid little walk he did doing the money hands thing, then the dick move of going back over to a still out of it Poirier to taunt him. Just came off like a complete fucking wanker.

Oh and the Bisping vs Henderson promo thing they showed got the old nips erect.

The Skelly vs Blanco 19 seconds of craziness was tremendous. Got to be almost a shoe-in for Submission Of The Year. It's right alongside Michael McDonald's comeback choke at UFC 195. Skelly's goofy as fuck but I like him. He reminds me of Matt Riddle (remember him?).

Wrestling fan I work with who watches everything was asking me about Matt Riddle in the UFC a few weeks back. Apprently he is tearing it up on the US indies and looks a huge star in the making. He will probably fuck it all up by failing drug tests for weed if he ever gets to the WWE but my mate seems convinced he is going to be NXT/WWE bound sooner or later.

• Paid Members

Speaking of Riddle, Chuck Mindenhall wrote an article about his time so far in pro wrestling. Weirdly, he had a wrestling match in Cleveland the night CM Punk made his UFC debut.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/18/12934698/pro-wrestler-matt-riddle-the-original-king-of-bros

Proper pro wrestling haircut right there. Top marks.

• Paid Members

yeh, i've read a few good things about Riddle. He had a supposed real good match with the guy who won the CWC a few weeks ago, who'd have thunk it?

Thought the Fight Night main card was a good watch outside of the Robertson/Carneiro fight.

Rick Glenn was wandering around octagon like a drunk man after fighting on short notice but showed bags of heart against Dunham, hopefully he drops to 145 and has a bit of a run of run, good fight.

Not really sure why i was so surprised at Johnson ironing out Dustin Poirier, it should have been a pick em really but for some reason i expect Poirier to win comfortably. I'll forgive Johnson for the bullshit after the fight, emotions were running high.

Derek Brunson is the sleeper at 185, 4 first round KO's is not to be sniffed at. Him calling for a title fight was a bit ambitious but i think he deserves a shot at someone around top 5. He seems like a guy who could benefit from having a microphone thrust in front of him too, seems to have some shit to say.

Chas Skelly too, great stuff. He's probably a sleeper 145, good win-rate and a finisher. Nice to see him call out Elkins for a re-match, you don't usually see many fighters look to to go backwards to right a wrong on their record...i'd book the fight.

Archived