Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I never disliked Sammy Ray. Where did you chat to him?

Facebook. He was suggested to me, I assume because you and me are his mutual friend. EDIT: No, I mean, you were friends with him and he was suggested to me because you're my friend.

I just had an issue from 15 years ago where he (I thought) was kind of a dick when I was in wrestling training. On talking with him today, I honestly think I had him all wrong and he's a good dude.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Sammy Ray was a trainer at RBW. Always had time for him, because he took time out of the class schedule to help me with stuff I was having trouble with, particularly flip bumps.

Think PunkStep knew him from training too. Quite a few people on here knew him, I think.

Ā 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Sammy Ray was a trainer at RBW. Always had time for him, because he took time out of the class schedule to help me with stuff I was having trouble with, particularly flip bumps.

Think PunkStep knew him from training too. Quite a few people on here knew him, I think.

Ā 

Yep. Basically, I was a shit wrestler/wrestling trainee. And Sammy - it felt at the time - was particularly harsh on me. I used to get quite intimidated by him, actually. For example, one week Johnny Kidd was taking training and Sammy was running late. We were practicing Japanese arm drags. Over and over again, I'd take them perfectly. The minute - the literal second - Sammy walked into the room, I fucked up. It was like I was so worried he'd see me be shit, I'd be shit. I was 16 at the time. I remember once taking a bump off a clothesline - pretty basic stuff, but it happened to be a really good example of a bump. I remember Sammy said, "great bump" to Rich n' Famous (of Kit Katting fame) who nodded. I felt so proud of that, it's mad.

One of my last experiences at RBW was we were all training running the ropes, drop downs, leap frogs in the ring before the show. I just couldn't get it. Sammy told me to leave the ring. I did and went and got a chicken burger.

During our conversation today, I mentioned that. He said I should have stayed in the ring. When he was being trained by Dynamite Kid, Dynamite said the exact same thing to Sammy one day. But Sammy didn't leave. He stayed in the ring, got ragdolled for an hour and was then on the tour the next week. I guess it was a test, one I found out about 15 years later!

But basically we had a lovely conversation and he said he often came across a bit harsh because he came from a more old school mindset. I feel bad now having always thought he was a dick. Truth is, I was just not a good wrestler, and he could probably see that.

It's sad to hear he's not really in wrestling any more.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Ā 

2 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

One of my last experiences at RBW was we were all training running the ropes, drop downs, leap frogs in the ring before the show. I just couldn't get it. Sammy told me to leave the ring. I did and went and got a chicken burger.

During our conversation today, I mentioned that. He said I should have stayed in the ring. When he was being trained by Dynamite Kid, Dynamite said the exact same thing to Sammy one day. But Sammy didn't leave. He stayed in the ring, got ragdolled for an hour and was then on the tour the next week. I guess it was a test, one I found out about 15 years later!

In how many other sports or jobs are you expected to sometimes do what your told by someone in charge and sometimes do the opposite of what you are told.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I obviously didn't have the heart, Tommy. The desire. The will to win. Also, I wanted a chicken fillet burger.

You and me both mate. It's just one of those things you don't see outside wrestling in my experience. I couldn't recall experience of that tactic being used elsewhere in life and while I get the roots of the logic it is especially odd given wrestling has been out from behind the curtain for so long now.Ā 

I really want a chicken burger now though. I'm going to have to walk into town and get one.Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

I always got on with Sammy. Always had my back and put me over. I can absolutely see why many didn't like him though. His training methods were very old school to the extent that I don't think anybody should teach wrestling like that in today's world (and those that still do have been condemned tbh), although it did get the best out of me.

An update on how I'm doing as I know you're all on tenterhooks for it: I've been at Waitrose now for a month today, still on nights, and whilst it took me a while to adjust to the sleeping/eating pattern, it's now pretty normal to me.

The job itself is fairly simple as you can imagine, but is hard work, especially on my poor knees. I have had trouble all my life with my knees including twice snapping the same ligament, but yeah I'm really struggling now. There is never a night where I don't feel I haven't worked bloody hard. Everyone is nice on the team and the company is obviously great to work for (already snapped up some reduced Rugby and gig tickets), and there is plenty of opportunities to progress.Ā 

The biggest gripe I had/have is that for the first 3 weeks, every night Absolute Noughties would be played all night. Essentially, this is a playlist of the same songs from 2000-2017 being played every night, punctuated by links from Matt Berry. This annoyed me, as I don't mind listening to any old shite, and I didn't want to whack in my own earphones when I was still listening to instructions etc, but fuck me, listening to Shoot The Runner, that Black Eyed Peas one, Hey Ya, etc every night was killing me.

Someone recently switched to (I think) just normal Absolute which, although is pretty much the same songs every night, at least is Kate Bush, The Jam, The Who, Floyd etc.

The hardest thing for me has been eating. Having 'lunch' at 2am is still very alien to me, and I still haven't adjusted fully. And also sleeping. I get in at about 6.15 and it takes me an age to fall asleep, and then I get really annoyed if I sleep past 1.30 as I feel I've missed the whole day. As someone who has depression and especially S.A.D I try and make sure I see as much sunlight as possible.

Mental health wise, I'm in a much better place. I've been in a new place for 3 weeks and it is incredible. The house is easily worth mill and a half, it's near my girls, the landlord is a film and music freak who directs short films (and I'm writing a short horror for him) who is a nice guy despite some dodgy views on 'snowflakes' and last weekend 3 Italian girls moved in (kenneth williams.jpg). I also live with a beautiful 10 year old American Bulldog called Rico, who has quickly become my best friend, and I walk him and feed him every day which really improves my mood. He has a problem with his back and legs and can't walk well, and he is the best (I'll upload a pic when I can)

Getting paid last month and being able to buy my daughter birthday presents with money I had earned was a feeling I hadn't had for ages. This month and Christmas will be tough, but my days and nights at Crisis are something I'm really looking forward to.

Still a bit of a way to go with other things personally, but I feel like I have real stability now, which has done wonders for me, as that's what I lacked. This year I've had 4 places that I've lived in, and 4 temp jobs, and now I've got a place and a job that look secure, I'm much more relaxed. Sorry for rambling. Love you all x

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

but is hard work, especially on my poor knees. I have had trouble all my life with my knees including twice snapping the same ligament

Ā 

You've taken your love for Ledley a bit far, haven't you?

Glad to hear things are on the up for you pal :)

9 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

You've taken your love for Ledley a bit far, haven't you?

Glad to hear things are on the up for you pal :)

Thanks mate :) Worst thing about doing the knee is that both times there was no one near me, and I was just receiving a simple pass! One player (twat) was even screaming "I didn't facking touch him" to which I screamed "I know you didn't you cunt!" as I attempted to smoke a fag/take oxygen/have my shinpad cut off/attempt to fight him at the same time

In football news, on Monday I scored the best goal I think I've ever scored in my life genuinely. 7 a side on a bigger side pitch, taking a diagonal pass from left back position on my chest on edge of the D and smashing in a swivel scissor volley (think Platt in 90 but if he'd chested it first). The other Dads could only clap (and the whole queue cheered). I've actually been thinking of retiring as I don't think I could ever better it.