Cornette's racist rant about Muslims

ANutter

Okay. Let me explain my bona fides. I am, always have been, a huge fan of all ‘hardcore’ wrestling, all ‘shoot’ material and even some ‘sports entertainment’. In that context, I have been a big fan of Jim Cornette. As an adolescent, I was trading tapes of his promos because no one else even came close to his skill. Lately, when I found out he was producing ‘shoot’ podcasts, I was in hog heaven.

There’s another set of credentials I need to get out of the way, just to put this in context. I am an atheist, and fundamentally indifferent to religion. As a teacher, many of my students are Muslim, both practising and not. In other professions I work in, many of my colleagues are Muslim, both practising and not. My ex-fiancee is a Muslim woman from North Africa. And none of this should matter, and none of it should be worthy of commentary - and it usually isn’t until some racist bigot opens his mouth.

With that in mind, some of you probably heard the Cornette podcast where he has an unhinged rant about Muslims (a subject on which he knows as much as he does about quantum physics). The effect of the rant is that, Muslims are a violent, barbaric bunch who have forfeited the right to complain about being subject to prejudice and discrimination by dint of their brutality. As this rant comes from someone who regularly belittles ‘Christian conservative cocksuckers’, complains about Trump, expresses hatred of bigotry, would like to punch out Vince Russo for belittling Jim Ross’s bells palsy, and even complains about McMahon’s anti-Southern prejudice, it’s extraordinary hypocrisy for him to start spewing forth a fucking geyser of white-hot horseshit about Muslims like some sort of Kentucky-fried Der Sturmer hack. And the reason I brought up my own background is because I know, in the way that one just knows, that no one who had a single Muslim friend or acquaintance whom they had to look in the eye everyday, would be able to spout off like that. It would just make you sick and ashamed, especially if you’re the sort of person who thinks you’re better than Donald Trump.

I know that many of his fans will lap this sort of stuff up. I know this, because Youtube is filled with the standard fanboy grovelling about how Cornette “shoots hard” about those pesky, dusky Muslims. One can well imagine the electrified, wrist-cranking frenzies that this outburst of Cornette’s has produced. (Which gives another connotation to the phrase, “shoots hard”.) 

I simply decline to engage with anyone who thinks there’s the smallest truth in what Cornette said. No one who knows anything about international politics (a category which clearly excludes Cornette and those of whom he seeks to be an epigone, such as Bill Maher or Sam Harris), would do anything but laugh with derision at the idea that Muslims are uniquely responsible for global violence. Even setting aside the monstrosities of the last hundred years or so - the Nazi holocaust, Vietnam, Stalinist purges, the Cambodian genocide, Latin American death squads, Iraq, etc - for which Muslims cannot be blamed, it would take anyone with a open-mind and good will about half an hour of Googling to ascertain that even in a relatively narrow contemporary frame of reference, most global violence can’t be ascribed to Muslims. Nor will I entertain those who resort to the old classic line that “Muslims aren’t a race innit” - as if there has ever existed a somatic entity corresponding to the notion of ‘race’, as if any of those targeted for racism, from the Irish to black people to Mexicans, have ever been ‘a race’. It is. Just. Nonsense. Categorically.

So with that in mind, fuck Cornette. Fuck him, and fuck anyone who agrees with him, anyone who defends him, anyone who thinks this sort of shit is okay. Most of all anyone who thinks, in this climate, that I’m ‘taking it too seriously’. Fuck him for real. He should be harassed, lobbied, bombarded until he recants. He should be forced to eat a big bowl of grovelling shit live on air. Now I know that won’t happen. I know that because, between the fanboys, the bigots, the people who don’t really care, and those who take their objections to religious fundamentalism as a license to run their idiot mouths, there probably isn’t enough heat on this to melt butter. But a person can dream. 

So hi. In addition to being ‘A. Nutter’, I’m a dreamer. Fuck him, seriously.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't think anyone is on the other side of this issue.

He should be harassed, lobbied, bombarded until he recants

Except for this bit, obviously.

What is the purpose of this? One post on UKFF and it's some kind of attempt to raise a mob to attack Jim Cornette? I can't think of much of anything I've ever liked of Jim Cornette before so I'd be well up for having a go at him normally, but fair play to him for winding up the sort of person who'd sign up to post that.

What's up with the general attitude of people on this site? Some of you need to wind your necks in; quit acting like your opinion actually matters (its all subjective anyway) and get your heads out of your arse. There is a group of five or six people on here that need to reign it in a bit... Theres no need to be an arsehole to anyone who says something you dislike.

• Paid Members

What's up with the general attitude of people on this site? Some of you need to wind your necks in; quit acting like your opinion actually matters (its all subjective anyway) and get your heads out of your arse. There is a group of five or six people on here that need to reign it in a bit... Theres no need to be an arsehole to anyone who says something you dislike.

If i want your help I will ask...

• Paid Members
Fuck him, and fuck anyone who agrees with him, anyone who defends him, anyone who thinks this sort of shit is okay.

I don't think anyone did think it was okay. MLW and Cornette apologised, his co-host also quit over it. This was a few months ago.

If I thought he was 100% serious I'd be much more concerned about it, but like seemingly all wrestling related people he's half mad (and thinks its okay to cut promos on real life stuff). Then regular people gave him a reality check and he's been behaving himself since.

• Paid Members

You know where the door is yo.

• Moderators

All you do recently is moan about the forum members. If you don't like it, why come here? It's getting very trying.

I don't think anyone did think it was okay. MLW and Cornette apologised, his co-host also quit over it. This was a few months ago.

Oh, see, I didn't see that. I've been listening to his podcasts, and this rant comes out of nowhere. That's a huge relief.

Archived