WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

So, here's what happened. I had decided I was for sure getting a PS4 on the 31st this month. I was down with it. I was in.

Then, I heard a lot of good stuff about XB1, and started to waver. Then I looked at the PS3 games I'd never played that I really wanted to play but hadn't (Skyrim, The Last of Us, the Uncharted series, GTAV) and thought...fuck this. I'll pick up a new PS3 slim, get those games, fuck about with them for a few months and pick up the PS4 (probably) cheaper down the line.

Bang.

• Awards Moderator
So I've recently got around to playing Fallout 3, despite owning it for the past 18 months or so. It was a lot of work, as I generally sucked at anything involving shooters, but I've finally got my skills to a respectable level. I love the humour in it, it's dark, twisted and sarcastic- in other words, brilliant. My only criticism is that it takes a long time to travel across the wastelands to new vaults/areas, and not nearly enough enemies to keep it interesting. Once you get to those areas, though, the gameplay/story is a blast.

Fallout 3 is my favourite game of all time (spoilers for the Top 50). Once you find a location you know you can fast travel from the map right? Also when hunting down new places, look at your little compass gimmick - little green ticks that fade in and out are nearby locations you can visit to create a marker on your map.

While the combat is sparse in the Wasteland, there's hundreds of stories to be told out there. Lots of innocent scenes and dioramas that you can figure out the story from just by the placement of objects. One of my favourite 'unmarked' stories are the Keller Tapes, a haunting story of one family's attempt to escape the devestation. And there's the morse code stuff, the Super Mutant nursery, and, and... And there's SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Aliens

, and SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Dogmeat

which you won't find by just fast-travelling.

Aaaah. I think my fifth playthrough is long overdue...

Yep Fallout 3 is really great.

I'm currently playing though a Siren run on Borderlands 2 (PS3) and it's still as fun as it was when I first played it on the 360. With six characters (two DLC), a load of DLC and two level cap increases I can't even guess how much time I'm going to end up sinking into this game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Got the new 3DS Zelda game for Christmas, so been playing through that over the past week. It's bloody great- they've taken one of my favourite games as a kid, that I can still happily play today, and made a completely new game out of it. I was a bit apprehensive at first about the merging into a painting ability, but it's actually really cool and clever. Quite similar to the shrinking ability in Minish Cap in a sense you need it to progress in some dungeons and it can help you reach some treasures in other areas. Highly recommend it.

I'm guessing FellatioLips has played it, unless he's been too busy playing the wanky cell-shaded Zelda games that he loves instead :sly:

• Paid Members
Got the new 3DS Zelda game for Christmas, so been playing through that over the past week. It's bloody great- they've taken one of my favourite games as a kid, that I can still happily play today, and made a completely new game out of it. I was a bit apprehensive at first about the merging into a painting ability, but it's actually really cool and clever. Quite similar to the shrinking ability in Minish Cap in a sense you need it to progress in some dungeons and it can help you reach some treasures in other areas. Highly recommend it.

I'm guessing FellatioLips has played it, unless he's been too busy playing the wanky cell-shaded Zelda games that he loves instead :sly:

You take that back!

Yeah I got it on release and oddly enough traded it in today for Mario Kart Wii and Dark Souls. Loved it, but the wanky cel-shaded ones are better :laugh:

Ooh, I like hearing about people starting to play Dark Souls. Is it the first time you've played it? It's one of those games I'd love to be able to start again for the first time, even though I never finished it. I left it so long that by the time I went back to it I'd forgotten where I was up to, and just went back to the beginning a few days ago but quickly got sidetracked when the postman turned up with a load of cheap stuff I ordered from CEX just before Christmas...

• Awards Moderator

Over at Neogaf they've compiled a list of gaming anniversaries in 2014.

I've spoilered it for length, but also to help your sanity when you realise how old some things are (ergo, how old you are).

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

January

Super Smash Bros. turns 15 (in Japan)

Silent Hill turns 15

February

Street Fighter IV turns 5

Demon's Souls turns 5 (in Japan)

March

Ninja Gaiden (Itagaki) turns 10

Far Cry turns 10

Final Fantasy XI turns 10

EverQuest turns 15

RollerCoaster Tycoon turns 15

April

Game Boy turns 25

May

Minecraft's initial public release turns 5

inFamous turns 5

Sengoku Musou turns 10

3rd Strike turns 15

Ape Escape turns 15

Super Metroid turns 20

King's Quest turns 30

June

Escape from Butcher Bay turns 10

Counter-Strike (original mod release) turns 15 (F2P GO?)

Earthworm Jim turns 20

Killer Instinct (Arcade) turns 20

Jagged Alliance turns 20

Populous turns 25

Tetris turns 30

July

Trine turns 5

TIE Fighter turns 20

Darkstalkers turns 20 (in Japan)

August

Batman Arkham series turns 5

System Shock 2 turns 15

Soul Reaver turns 15

Syphon Filter turns 15 (it'd be nice to see that on PS4)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater turns 15

September

Fable turns 10

Star Wars Battlefront turns 10 (info on new game?)

Katamari turns 10

Crisis Zone turns 15

Dreamcast turns 15 (in North America)

System Shock 1 turns 20 (GOG?)

October

Borderlands turns 5

Torchlight turns 5

Bayonetta turns 5 (Bayonetta 2 release?)

Medal of Honor turns 15

Prince of Persia turns 25

SimCity turns 25

Atari Lynx turns 25

Flight Simulator turns 35

Galaxian turns 35

Activision turns 35

November

Dragon Age turns 5 (Inquisition release?)

Counter-Strike Source turns 10

Half-Life 2 turns 10 (????)

Killzone turns 10

The original DS turns 10

WoW turns 10

Ultima IX turns 15

Unreal Tournament turns 15

The Quake III engine turns 15 (will COD still use it?)

Warcraft turns 20

Donkey Kong Country turns 20

32x turns 20

Sega Saturn turns 20 (wtf?)

December

Planescape Torment turns 15

Shenmue turns 15 (in Japan) (???)

Tekken (Arcade, in Japan) turns 20

Marathon turns 20

Heretic turns 20

PlayStation turns 20 (in Japan)

Ice Climber turns 30

Balloon Fight turns 30

Paperboy turns 30

Adventure turns 35

Unknown Month

Point Blank turns 20

Windows versions of Solitaire and Minesweeper turn 25

Shadow of the Best turns 25 (new PS4 game)

Power Glove turns 25

Gauntlet turns 30

Akalabeth (possibly the first RPG video game ever) turns 35

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
Ooh, I like hearing about people starting to play Dark Souls. Is it the first time you've played it? It's one of those games I'd love to be able to start again for the first time, even though I never finished it. I left it so long that by the time I went back to it I'd forgotten where I was up to, and just went back to the beginning a few days ago but quickly got sidetracked when the postman turned up with a load of cheap stuff I ordered from CEX just before Christmas...

I played Demon Souls years ago, but this is my first time with Dark Souls. So far I've -

Shouted "FUCKING HELL" as that giant gatekeeper boss dropped from the ceiling and killed me in two hits. Took me another try to work the escape out, but then when I went through the portal to the ledge above it I had no idea I had to jump on it, so after a few seconds of waiting it just flew up and smashed me and ledge to bits; killing me in one hit. More curse words were shouted.

I'm currently at the first camp outside of the sanctuary. Down the hill is a swampy area with ghosts that kill me in one hit and there's fucking loads of them. The other way is a graveyard with skeletons that are almost impossible to kill more than one at a time.

Yeah, you don't want to go either of those two ways until you've levelled up a bit. If you want a helpful hint, do this before you go too much further (it's not really spoilery but I'll put it in tags just in case you'd rather work things out on your own):

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Go down the hill, then down the lift to the swampy bit with all the ghosts. Go over the bridge and turn right at the end, then look to your right (sort of back towards the direction you came from) and you'll see a glowing white orb out in the water. Go and collect this (through a gap in a wall you'll find a narrow ledge just under the water's surface that you can walk along), then head all the way back towards the bonfire you started at. Don't worry if you die after collecting the item, it'll still be in your inventory when you respawn. Just before you climb the stairs to the bonfire, there's a grate in the wall where you can use the item you've just collected to upgrade your Estus flask which will turn out to be one of the most useful things you could possibly do.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Even though I haven't finished it, and almost doubt I ever will, it's easily one of my favourite games of all time. It's just so brutal and unforgiving, and I love how bleak the whole thing is. And it's got proper awesome monsters in it.

I'm currently playing Banjo Kazooie. I've never played it before, and the game looks so simple, but I'm absolutely terrible at it! It took me an hour to get all the jigsaws, notes and skulls on Mumbo's Mountain. The next stage took me an hour and a half. Seeing these people on YouTube do speed runs and beating those stages at seven minutes or less made me feel a bit embarrassed.

I'm almost done with the Duck Tales Remaster too. I thought it was an okay game. Not as good as the NES original. Scrooge McDuck sounds a bit like Frankie Boyle on this.