WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Has anyone been playing Saints Row 4?

I'm playing it on ps3 with surround sound speakers and the sound effects just seem either too quiet or missing completely.

Running at super speed doesn't even make a sound. Super jumps make a slight noise. It spoils it and fiddling with the sound levels doesn't help. Tried it just through my TV speakers and it was just the same. Very strange. Feels unfinished.

Edited by Metallica

Has anyone been playing Saints Row 4?

I'm playing it on ps3 with surround sound speakers and the sound effects just seem either too quiet or missing completely.

Running at super speed doesn't even make a sound. Super jumps make a slight noise. It spoils it and fiddling with the sound levels doesn't help. Tried it just through my TV speakers and it was just the same. Very strange. Feels unfinished.

Can't say I've had any issues so far (360 version). That sounds very strange though. There was a day one patch so guess that wasn't fixed in that.

Edited by TUFCfan

• Paid Members

Looks pretty naff but in theory it's a genius move. Those with a 3DS I know (including me) maybe use the 3D features about 10% of the time, the price drop is appealing and it's being released at the same time as the new Pokemon. It's being targeted towards young children and it's smaller than the original 3DS but holds the same screen sizes.

It's virtually the 3DS version of the Game Boy Micro, so it'll appeal to collectors too.

Personally I think it looks terrible and thought it was a joke originally too, but you can bet it'll sell like hotcakes and most likely more than the Vita sells. It's a pretty risky but genius move.

Yeah there was a patch when I first played it but I don't know what it fixed.

Crashing into cars or running through fences doesn't make a sound. I've uninstalled the game data and reinstalled but it didn't help. Found a post on a forum with someone having the same problem with SR3 but that's all..

Edit - hmm, fiddled with my ps3 sound settings and changed audio output to PCM instead of DTS or DD and it sounds better! Speed running and jumping do make sounds now (but not the impactful sounds I'd expect them to make but maybe that's just how the game is?) and cars make noise too. Woohoo!

Edited by Metallica

Crashing into cars or running through fences doesn't make a sound. I've uninstalled the game data and reinstalled but it didn't help. Found a post on a forum with someone having the same problem with SR3 but that's all..

Edit - hmm, fiddled with my ps3 sound settings and changed audio output to PCM instead of DTS or DD and it sounds better! Speed running and jumping do make sounds now (but not the impactful sounds I'd expect them to make but maybe that's just how the game is?) and cars make noise too. Woohoo!

PCM should be the highest quality setting. If your amp can deal with it, use that. If it can't and only supports Dolby Digital or DTS, use that (DTS is better).

Has your amp got some sort of auto compression on? Some amps have a "Night" button that reduces the dynamic range of the game.

Otherwise.. I guess the game doesn't have very good sound ;)

PCM should be the highest quality setting. If your amp can deal with it, use that. If it can't and only supports Dolby Digital or DTS, use that (DTS is better).

Has your amp got some sort of auto compression on? Some amps have a "Night" button that reduces the dynamic range of the game.

Otherwise.. I guess the game doesn't have very good sound ;)

Hey thanks for the advice, Loki.

As far as I know it doesn't have any auto compression facility, the only things I can adjust on it is how loud each of the speakers are.

I have this set -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004MY4...=UTF8&psc=1

On the PS3 audio settings, PCM was listed as just 2 channels so I wasn't expecting it to be better than the 5.1 options but it has made a difference and sound is coming out of all the speakers, which surprised me.

Hmm, sounds like your amp is just taking a stereo output and mixing it into all your speakers rather than proper surround. The PS4 supports the new 7.2 PCM format, but the PS3 doesn't IIRC. You really want to try setting the PS3 into DTS mode (which that system supports) for the best sound.

Your original problem there, kind of sounded like you weren't hearing the center speaker (crashing into cars would probably be pushed into the center). Dumb qn, but are you sure your center is working? Sometimes hard to notice if it isn't, as the Left and Right create a virtual center that for telly can sound ok.

I'd run the output testing thing on your sound system to check all the speakers are working, and then try DTS again....

Cheers man, did the test and the speakers are all working fine.

I tried it through my TV speakers too and it was just as poor. I think it's the game. No other ps3 game has made me question the sound and SR3 and SR2 were both fine. Weirdly it does sound clearer and louder through PCM rather than DTS.

Sadly, not all games companies have good enough facilities to mix and test in surround. I suppose it's just possible that there's a bug that means that the surround output from the game is buggered :(

Edit: quick trawl around on the internet reveals other people with missing center speaker material (voice, engines, etc). Plus loads of other audio bugs. Poor bastards. Best stick to stereo.

Edited by Loki