WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I've only played the very start, but god-damn, Bioshock Infinite is absolutely beautiful. I've seen a few reviewers say it looks disappointing on consoles, they must have been talking purely in boring technical terms, or comparing it directly to how it looks running on their

• Paid Members

The first hour of Bioshock Infinite for me was almost a religious experience. Absolutely breath taking and heart stopping images, sounds and delights. The it abruptly when fucking crazy and I was fighting for my life. Loving it so far.

The first hour of Bioshock Infinite for me was almost a religious experience. Absolutely breath taking and heart stopping images, sounds and delights. The it abruptly when fucking crazy and I was fighting for my life. Loving it so far.

Can't agree more! I've played around 5 hours so far, and the game has just been simply wonderful so far. The graphics aren't the best on the consoles, but the art direction, the atmosphere, the setting and the soundtrack all just comes together to create an experience that is so far, near perfection.

Early spoilers, but the part where

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

the building collapses around you as save Elizabeth from the tower sent chills down my spine. The thumping soundtrack, the awesome voice-acting and the set-piece where your flying full-speed along the rail was just awesome. I also loved the carnival setting, the minigames were a nice touch and theres just so much going on around the city (Flying barbershop quartet!!)

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I know I still have plenty of the game to play, but I'm going to say that Elizabeth is probably one of the best video-game companions around. Her voice acting is marvellous, her character is adorable and she is actually rather helpful in combat. She doesn't seem to repeat any of her lines which is a major plus, and the part where she

dances around like shes a Disney princess gave me a goofy grin on my face

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Hopefully the game won't fall into the trap of Bioshock 1 where the 2nd half kinda dragged, but so far its an amazing game!

Edited by pain-giver

Finished Bioshock Infinite this evening, and all I can say is wow. What a game.

I think it looks great on a console, and although it's obviously bound to look better on a higher resolution PC it's still very impressive. Columbia is such a beautiful looking place at times and a nice change from Rapture. The soundtrack is great throughout as well, and really adds to the whole experience, especially in the opening part of the game.

It was also a nice surprise to suddenly hear versions of songs like 'Girls just want to have fun', as well as some original versions, at various points in the game.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I definitely agree that Elizabeth is fantastic. She never gets in the way or outstays her welcome and is always helpful when in combat. Everything about her, from her voice acting to her mannerisms are very well done. A great example of how to get a companion character right and I'm sure in almost ten years time she'll be remembered as fondly as someone like Alyx Vance still is now.

The pacing was much definitely better than in Bioshock, though as some reviews I've seen have pointed out it does seem a bit padded out at times in the middle sections, but nothing major overall. The slow start was a great setup into the world of Columbia as well.

From the row to the lighthouse, the religious overtones when you first arrive and then to the fairground it was a great first hour so. The beach was another good change of pace later on as well

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

In terms of action, my favourite parts were:

Escaping from the tower with Elizabeth whilst being hounded by the songbird. It was a brilliant action sequence, again aided by the soundtrack hyping up the tension and the drama.

The battle near the end where you're defending the airship with the help of the songbird felt pretty epic at times. Especially the moment when the songbird becomes available to use again and you're able to see it swoop in and take out the gun ship that's been bothering you.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

The combat was an improvement on Bioshock. Some of the new vigors were quite fun to use, but later on in the game

once you find the return to sender vigor, at times most other plasmids suddenly seemed pretty useless, particularly towards the end. If you weren't using it, the game also often suggested that you did and it did seem a tad overpowered at times.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I won't put any spoilers about the ending, as there's always the temptation for people to peek at ending spoilers before they've completed a game (if they haven't looked it up already elsewhere) and I don't want to spoil it for people, but I will say that I thought the ending was good as well.

Edited by TUFCfan

This Bioshock Infinite. Is it essential to have played the previous two? I started the first one a few years back and just couldn't get into it at all.

Also, are there any arcadey PS3 games available to download for free that are good fun that I can play with the family? We used to play Doritos Crash Course when I had a 360. That sort if thing.

This Bioshock Infinite. Is it essential to have played the previous two? I started the first one a few years back and just couldn't get into it at all.

Also, are there any arcadey PS3 games available to download for free that are good fun that I can play with the family? We used to play Doritos Crash Course when I had a 360. That sort if thing.

Not a pre-requisite to have play the first 2 at all. They aren't linked in story whatsoever, I believe this was a trade off to get Ken Levine back on-board. (2K wanted a third Bioshock game, but wanted Levine at the helm because the 2nd one underperformed, Levine wanted to create a new IP but needed a publisher with deep pockets).

There are some similarities (Vigours are the new Plasmids, dystopian early 1900s America feel is similar but not exactly the same), but the setting allows it to be a far more picturesque, vibrant and energetic game than the other Bioshock games. Also Elizabeth is the best video game companion that isn't in a Valve game.

I'm

just past the part where you go through a tear to speak to the arms merchant

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); and can say it's the best game I've played in a couple of years.

End game spoiler.

It's sure as hell linked to the first game, just wait for Booker to do something that only one person could do in the original and you'll realise they are the same person from alternate universes. There's a lot of things that mirror the first game if you look.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I don't want to throw out a load of spoilers, but Bioshock Infinite is absolutely spectacular. I feel it raises the bar for story telling in video games, it's so expertly crafted. The world of Columbia is simply mesmerising, you should definitely be playing this game.