25 years of The Undertaker

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Everyone's talking about it.

Well, WWE are talking about it. It's the theme for this year's Survivor Series, but I don't quite know what that will entail. I'm hoping for guest appearances by Brother Love, the urn, Mankind, the Ministry, his bike, all-in-white Shawn Michaels, a sit-down interview with the head druid, and the vulture from WrestleMania 9.

At the very least, I'd like to think they'll show top moments from the last quarter of a century throughout the show.

So, if you had to pick the top 25 Undertaker moments from the last 25 years - one per year, to make it interesting - what would they be? 

1990 - the debut is the obvious choice. "CHECK OUT THOSE DRUMSTICKS, BABY!"

1991 - appearing from inside the casket in that Funeral Parlour segment with Hogan.

1992 - something with Jake the Snake.

1993 - the WrestleMania 9 entrance?

1994 - ascending at the Royal Rumble. Corny as hell, but better than the Summerslam Taker vs. Taker match.

1995 - I struggle here. It wasn't a good year. Maybe something with Kama melting down the urn? I don't know.

1996 - the Bearer turn at Summerslam.

1997 - "THAT'S GOTTA BE KANE!" Or the Cell match generally, or the Summerslam match with Bret. He also ended Mania as champion. '97 was a good year for Taker.

1998 - standing at the top of the Cell looking over the carnage after he's thrown Mankind off the top.

1999 - any Attitude Era silliness you care to name. Trying to sacrifice Stephanie, maybe.

2000 - the return at Judgment Day is an obvious one. But for something a bit less significant yet just as cool, that Last Ride he hit on Steven Richards that time that looked like it killed him, or the utter destruction of Kaientai by him and Kane.

2001 - the Vengeance match with RVD is quite underrated.

2002 - bleeding all over the place in the Cell against Lesnar, or going 10-0 against Flair. Less said about the Hogan match at Judgment Day the better, but at least Hogan didn't jump straight up after that chokeslam. He didn't jump during the chokeslam either, of course...

2003 - beating up 'Boy George' Kanyon in what must have been some horrible homophobic rib? I don't know, the last year of Bikertaker wasn't his best.

2004 - the return at WrestleMania with Bearer. (or the appearance of his symbol at Royal Rumble, that was very cool at the time). Not the Concrete Crypt.

2005 - there was probably something in the Orton feud, which took up most of his year if I remember correctly.

2006 - No Way Out against Angle. That or one of the Brothers of Destruction 'let's both do the raising-the-arm-pose-at-the-top-of-the-ramp thing' moments.

2007 - the encounter in the Royal Rumble against Shawn Michaels. Honourable mention, WrestleMania against Batista.

2008 - I hate it as a moment, but straight up MURDERING EDGE BY BURNING HIM ALIVE WITH MASSES OF FIRE at the end of Summerslam.

2009 - WrestleMania against Shawn.

2010 - that jumping Tombstone at 'Mania.

2011 - the wordless Raw segment where he and Triple H lay down the challenge for WrestleMania.

2012 - Taker, Shawn and HHH walk out of the Cell together, putting a final stamp on their five-year-long saga.

2013 - paying tribute to Paul Bearer.

2014 - the Streak is broken.

2015 - the pull-apart with Lesnar on Raw. "You're gonna have to!"

What Taker moments would you pick?

If you need inspiration, here's a video of iconic Undertaker moments reenacted by cats. Most of them aren't very good but the Hell In A Cell ones are great.

• Paid Members

There's so many just for the pure theatre. The Judgement Day return was incredible. One of my top five returns of all time. However, the moment that sticks out for me was him kicking out of HHH's tombstone at 'Mania. That and his original 'Mania match with Kane. Or the fact that after knocking himself out cold against HBK at 'Mania he finished a 30 minute epic.

• Paid Members

2002 - bleeding all over the place in the Cell against Lesnar, or going 10-0 against Flair. Less said about the Hogan match at Judgment Day the better, but at least Hogan didn't jump straight up after that chokeslam. He didn't jump during the chokeslam either, of course...

Worst chokeslam ever. You probably couldn't have slid a sheet of paper under Hulk's feet on that one. He basically just held onto Taker's arms and lay down, didn't he? Sandbagging racist old so and so.

2007 - the encounter in the Royal Rumble against Shawn Michaels. Honourable mention, WrestleMania against Batista.

I love that Taker vs Batista series in 2007. I never would've expected those two to gel like they did. The WrestleMania match blew me away at the time because my expectations weren't high going in. Then they went on to have a few more really good matches on PPVs and TV that year.

When Mankind first came to the WWF in 1996 and started his feud with Taker, that was a pretty awesome series of matches, really felt like they had brought in someone who could go toe to toe with him. I always enjoyed the one at IYH: Revenge of the Taker the most, didn't Mankind take a head first bump through a table? And Mankind was chucking fireballs around as well.

• Paid Members
1995 - I struggle here. It wasn't a good year. Maybe something with Kama melting down the urn? I don't know.

His return at Survivors, complete with creepy mask and an excited Vince yelling "The one and the only, The Undertaker is back!!" Then he wallops three heels in quick succession and makes a fourth soil himself and waddle off. Good night at the office.

• Paid Members

When Mankind first came to the WWF in 1996 and started his feud with Taker, that was a pretty awesome series of matches, really felt like they had brought in someone who could go toe to toe with him. I always enjoyed the one at IYH: Revenge of the Taker the most, didn't Mankind take a head first bump through a table? And Mankind was chucking fireballs around as well.

Foley did go head first through the table. Its a mental spot but still amazing to watch.

Taker and Foley can't light the flash paper at the end so taker just blows the mystic away and makes fire by dangling the paper and wafting his lighter about rather than piss about trying to hide it, if I remember right.

Probably in the minority here, but one of my favourite Taker matches is against Diesel at WM12. Didn't see it until a couple of years ago and it really exceeded my expectations.  

Nope, I love that match too. Great build up as well!

97 was a cracker of a year all round wasn't it, especially for Taker. Favourite memory of that year would be him vs Bret at One Night Only, because I was there and it was special, and a cracking match.

Also the ending sequence to their SummerSlam match, great work all round there.

Foley did go head first through the table. Its a mental spot but still amazing to watch.

Taker and Foley can't light the flash paper at the end so taker just blows the mystic away and makes fire by dangling the paper and wafting his lighter about rather than piss about trying to hide it, if I remember right.

Taker did have trouble with the lighter but he did eventually get it to work and threw the flash paper in Bearer's face. But I do remember Cornette talking about someone fucking up the flash paper spot in a match.

Yes it was this match Cornette mentioned. I forgot about Taker standing there for a minute with the paper in his hands visible to everyone.

• Paid Members

97 was a cracker of a year all round wasn't it, especially for Taker. Favourite memory of that year would be him vs Bret at One Night Only, because I was there and it was special, and a cracking match.

Shawn costing Undertaker the title still makes me want to throw things at the screen. Bastard.

Shawn costing Undertaker the title still makes me want to throw things at the screen. Bastard.

Haha, well as a huge Bret fan, I was delighted. The timing of it all is impeccable. One person is out of position in that, it all falls apart. It's a hefty old chair shot as well isn't it!!!

Archived