Ranking the WWE roster into tiers

bbabba

• Paid Members

Been thinking about the general lack of star power in WWE right now, and who could be placed in the Survivor Series WWE title tournament.  More generally, I've also noted that there hasn't been progression up the card like there once was, but more often than not its people slipping down the pecking order.

With this in mind I have made a list of where I think the current roster stands within the WWE.  This is not where I think they should stand, but where I perceive them to stand based upon their on-screen presentation and win/loss records.  I've grouped the roster into 7 tiers, the general principle being that a wrestler from a higher tier will likely beat a wrestler from a lower tier if they compete on TV/PPV.  To give a bit more context to the tiers, I've given a loose definition of what may put a wrestler into each tier.  These are as follows:

Tier 1:  A match between someone from this tier and the tier below could headline an A PPV

Tier 2:  A match between two tier 2 wrestlers could headline a B PPV

Tier 3:  A match between someone from this tier and tier 2 could headline a Raw/Smackdown/Live event.  Also people from this tier would make a credible IC/US champion

Tier 4:  A wrestler from this tier may challenge and possibly win the IC/US title.  Tag teams in this tier would make strong tag team champs

Tier 5:  Likely to lose a match on Raw or Smackdown, and usually not involved in any meaningful storylines, but generally win Main Event and Superstars matches

Tier 6:  Main Event/Superstars regulars who only beat the absolute jobbers

Tier 7:  Jobbers who lose every match except when facing one another on Superstars

My current groupings for the roster (note part timers and inactive wrestlers included)

wwe_tiers.png

Some possible points for discussion

1.  Who do you think I have put in the wrong tier on the list?

2.  Is the reason for so much of the current poor ratings due to the overloaded tier 3 and the lack of full timers in tiers 1 and 2?

3.  Who realistically has the potential to move from tier 3 to tier 2 (and possibly 1)?

4.  Who is in a tier where they will likely never move much higher or lower from?

I think Ambrose can be considered tier 2. I'd be surprised if there aren't main event plans between him and Reigns, given how they're pushing their friendship at us

Maybe a swap between Reigns and HHH too. I can't see a HHH match main eventing anything again

Also since the horrible Summer TMZ blow-off I'd consider Rusev firmly in tier 4, probably swap with Cesaro who's on another slight momentum run before he inevitably drops back

There are a few too many tiers I reckon.

That's half the problem with WWE, back in the day you had lower, mid and upper carders. Now you have so many people, all of whom can't be seen as lower card (God forbid!) and a midcard that all too often creeps into the upper.

It goes to show that they haven't, in fact, created a solid 3-4 guys as a foundation for the company. In 1998 you had taker, Austin, Foley and Kane... In 2000 it was Rock, HHH, Austin and later Taker. Now they have watered down the main event so every Tom, Dick and Harry have been in it only to be pushed down the card (Kane, Wyatt, Reigns etc).

It's compounded by a champion who 15 years ago wouldn't have been anywhere near the main event. When the champion looks mid card (Rollins could be the IC or US champion and not look out of place) you are on to a loser.

In short WWE are too scared to make anyone look weak... Their mid carders too often appear in the main event so there is no room for progression... And the main event consists of guys who have not made the slow climb that lends them main event credibility.

The top guys aren't 'stars' like yester yeer. Hogan, Austin, Taker, Rock, Cena, Michaels... Nobody on the current full time roster scream star like those listed... Make stars and people will be interested

There are a few too many tiers I reckon.

That's half the problem with WWE, back in the day you had lower, mid and upper carders. Now you have so many people, all of whom can't be seen as lower card (God forbid!) and a midcard that all too often creeps into the upper.

It goes to show that they haven't, in fact, created a solid 3-4 guys as a foundation for the company. In 1998 you had taker, Austin, Foley and Kane... In 2000 it was Rock, HHH, Austin and later Taker. Now they have watered down the main event so every Tom, Dick and Harry have been in it only to be pushed down the card (Kane, Wyatt, Reigns etc).

It's compounded by a champion who 15 years ago wouldn't have been anywhere near the main event. When the champion looks mid card (Rollins could be the IC or US champion and not look out of place) you are on to a loser.

In short WWE are too scared to make anyone look weak... Their mid carders too often appear in the main event so there is no room for progression... And the main event consists of guys who have not made the slow climb that lends them main event credibility.

The top guys aren't 'stars' like yester yeer. Hogan, Austin, Taker, Rock, Cena, Michaels... Nobody on the current full time roster scream star like those listed... Make stars and people will be interested

You have too much time on your hands.

And maybe you should post less until you have more time on your hands, because recently all I've noticed from you is dribble that is a chore to read. That's really saying something as well since everything you post is just one sentence

I'm with everyone where I think you've put in too many tiers (I'd have three), but I agree with the concept. I think it's something that would generally improve the shows in the long run. Especially if you made strict rules about how the guys would interact with one another, as a means to protect your big matches for PPVs.

That way, people can get behind their favourite wrestlers as they move up the virtual tiers, as well as strive to win belts (which I would use as "milestones" between the tiers). In some ways, WWE are already doing this with NXT; we're behind our favourite guys as not only do we want our favourites to win the NXT title, but also move up to the main shows.

It's not something that can happen over night, it would have to be a slow change, but it is one that can be done. Sadly though, I feel the vast amount of TV time needed to be filled makes this sort of system very difficult to implement.

I know it's the Internet and everyone lives Bryan. But come on. How on earth can you put him in the list with those guys? Those guys actually make a difference. Bryan, however amazing to watch, did fuck all for business irregardless of how good or bad he was booked. He is probably my favourite current performer in the company, but he's not a superstar like those guys. He is solidly in tier 2.

I know it's the Internet and everyone lives Bryan. But come on. How on earth can you put him in the list with those guys? Those guys actually make a difference. Bryan, however amazing to watch, did fuck all for business irregardless of how good or bad he was booked. He is probably my favourite current performer in the company, but he's not a superstar like those guys. He is solidly in tier 2.

In the current landscape i'd say he could be justified as top tier. Booked properly his big return could actually mean something and do some good business, slotting back down into the second tier after a few months. Saying that it's much more likely WWE will bring him back for the Rumble and have him eliminated within ten minutes then work hard to establish him around tier three

Its generally a fair list but I do agree with Bryan moving down to tier 2, If this was 2 years ago then Tier 1 is fine but even before he got injured he wasn't in the main event scene anymore

If Bryan must be kept in Tier 1 then You should move Orton up to 1 as well IMO, I'd place Orton as a bigger star then Bryan

Ambrose can be put in Tier 2 for sure as well

There isn't much difference between the 2 and 3 really, Sheamus, Del Rio, Jericho, Bray Wyatt could be classed as lower tier 2 perhaps 

Archived