The Coloured/Rare/Signed Vinyl Thread

icwkev

Just typed this out and closed the wrong tab! Annoyed!

Anyway - one of my projects at work is The Vinyl Store and get presented with allocations of rare/coloured first pressing/signed/exclusive vinyl LP and thought this might be of some interest here. There should be some vinyl collectors on this forum. We run the official online stores for over 400 music artists/labels/management companies.

I didn't think much about it until I decided to reduce the price of the pretty rare Yellow & Red vinyl edition of 'The Wrestling Album/Piledriver - The Wrestling Album II'. As far as I know we took the entire allocation of the stock and have the last few left.

25054.jpg

The album is ridiculous but a fun addition to your vinyl collection. http://thevinylstore.tmstor.es/index.php?page=products - If you fancy one. Got 7 left.

I was thinking that maybe could do a weekly update on rare vinyl if there is any interest?

• Paid Members

Not rare but I made a thing for my lounge.

Its a framed copy of news of the world opened out to the full cover art with a matching single and then two highlander singles and two innuendo singles.

I wanted the full run of artwork singles from news of the world but some US only ones cost a bomb.

I would definitely be interested in this, I started collecting vinyl a couple of years ago and i've already got a nice little collection together of stuff like Bob Dylan, Thin Lizzy and Queen. It is mad how much some vinyl costs though.

• Moderators

I'd never buy a record and not play it. What's the point?

I've never understood collecting things for the sake of having them though. That's why I would never say I collect records; I buy music to listen to, and I happen to like listening to it on record.

(That's not to say I don't appreciate the nice artwork, etc. But the music is the main course!)

• Paid Members

I'm with Chest 100% there.
I just spent 50quid on Chicago Connection's Dancin' and 40quid on the Perfecto Wide Open Space mix from Discogs, and as 'valuable' as they are, I'm going to play the bastards the day they arrive and throw them into a mix. They won't sit on my shelf looking pretty or unscathed.

I can understand not bringing some rare Japanese Akira figures or Wrestling Figures into the bath with you for a buzz, but to not play records is something I cannot wrap my head around.

• Paid Members

Not exactly on topic but my girlfriend wants a vinyl record player for Christmas and I have no idea what I'm looking for. Can anyone recommend a good one? I don't have a lot of cash so like 200 would be the max. I don't really know how much a decent one should cost.

When you say record player do you mean a turntable to connect to an existing setup that already has an amp and speakers or something like a briefcase turntable that has speakers included and is portable? If it's to plug into an existing setup you will probably need a pre-amp as well. The project elemental seems pretty good for £160 http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-13708-project-elemental-turntable.aspxI've got a project debut esprit 3 and its lovely. Before that I had a project debut 0.5 and it was great, I only upgraded because I went to buy a new stylus and got excited in the shop.

As for buying records and not listening to them - like I say I've only done that with the Syro box, I already had it on vinyl then I "won" the lottery to have an opportunity to buy it and got excited so I bought it. If I hadn't already got it I'd have played the expensive one. If I'd told my wife how much it was I'd never have got it.it was a stupid purchase, bloody Aphex Twin.

to be honest I've never been quite sure why you need one, I just know that you need one. From what I understand it's a little box that converts the signal that comes from your turntable to something your amplifier understands. Some turntables come with one in and some amps have one in but most new amps don't. This explains it a bit http://www.turntablelab.com/pages/beginners-guide-to-turntables

As for coloured vinyl, I've always been fond of the V/VM Snooker Loopy 7" singles, 8 separate 7"s, in red, white, yellow, green, brown, blue, pink and of course black.

While listening to the latest Brian Setzer Christmas album (on Christmas tree green vinyl) I blew my amp! I've located the fuse that's give but there's also loads of black...stuff on the wires, that's a bad thing right?

A girl I went out with for a bit bought me a Rush single, it was a square picture disc of "Roll the bones" - fucking brilliant. Only thing was, I didn't have a record player, so it stayed at her place and I inevitably didn't see it again when we broke up a few weeks later.

I only get things for specific artists that I like. I'm a massive Henry Rollins fan and the bulk of the collection is his stuff. I've got the 'Weight' album on clear vinyl which got for about £10, and someone then told me that it's a very rare item (only something in the region of 25 were made I was told) but it has no number so I've nothing to support that theory. I've also got a copy of Andrew W.K.'s debut EP 'Party Till You Puke', which is still in the shrink-wrap

• Paid Members

I sold a lot of stuff 5 or 6 years ago, around the same time I stopped dj'ing and got rid of my decks too. I still think about buying a player but realistically know it wouldn't be worth it, as I'd hardly use it.

I still have a few signed bits and Bob's, such as 2 or 3 albums by De La Soul from when I played with them a few years ago.

I've also go a couple of albums signed by Focus and a nice pic of those guys and my dad on stage together. I'm thinking of framing an album and the pic and giving it to him for Christmas.

I fully understand the collecting thing, but only if it has a reason, such as its your favourite group, you have the general collection, but a limited numbered release is knocked out for a short spell. If it's a case of it costing £20, knowing it'll fetch £100 in a couple of years, then yeah, I fully understand.

I wouldn't bother myself as I'm not keen on rinsing others.

Just remembered I have a few Zappa LP's kicking about, other than that I gave my dad a good 100 or so.

Archived