Finn Balor

LAC4591

Just curious as to what people think about Finn. I'm a huge fan and followed him for a while seeing him live at ICW, NJPW and many more promotions, talking to a few others they don't really like him.

Just want to get more of a general opinion on him...

I am a bit of a fan of his, mostly cos of his different face paint and he is awesome in the ring, just feel like there is something missing to make him a big star, can see him being another Adrian Neville if he leaves NXT, seems to be a bad thing when you go to the main roster lately, Kevin Owens, Sasha Banks etc probably wish they could stay in NXT.

I am a bit of a fan of his, mostly cos of his different face paint and he is awesome in the ring, just feel like there is something missing to make him a big star, can see him being another Adrian Neville if he leaves NXT, seems to be a bad thing when you go to the main roster lately, Kevin Owens, Sasha Banks etc probably wish they could stay in NXT.

To be honest he is still building up to becoming something bigger.

I do agree with the moving to the main roster. Maybe it's because they have less attention around them in terms of being having bigger story lines etc.

• Paid Members

The more I've seen of him, the less impressed I've become. That first Takeover show when he came out in the paint was fucking mind blowing. He looked like he'd be their biggest star in ages. But since then his flaws on the microphone and at portraying any type of character have become glaring.

He's just a boring, quiet bloke who dresses up every three months. In the ring he's clearly ready for the main roster, but everything else not only feels like it needs loads of work, but it doesn't appear to be improving at any type of noticeable rate thus far. The only improvement I've seen from when he first came in is that cool leather jacket.

I think he's done pretty well. Like the gimmick in general, he doesn't have to talk that much, but I thought he showed improvements with that "I'm gonna kick your arse!" promo to Owens before the Brooklyn ladder match. I think a faction round him will be good, and it seems they're going that way with all the Balor Club merch

Raw will job him out or make him talk all the time, so not worth thinking about really

He's just a boring, quiet bloke who dresses up every three months. In the ring he's clearly ready for the main roster, but everything else not only feels like it needs loads of work, but it doesn't appear to be improving at any type of noticeable rate thus far. The only improvement I've seen from when he first came in is that cool leather jacket.

That's about my take on him as well. I was never particularly taken by him dressing up as a dog or whatever on the specials, I find his synchronised prancing entrance stupid, and I don't really buy into anything he does. He's fine in the ring, but that goes for the vast majority of the roster. He's lacking in what they desperately need -- personality. I can't see him ever being a main event guy unless the company has gone to shit. He's another Bret Hart at best.

And his finisher's the fucking Indie Wrestler Stomp that WWE seems to love them all doing. Rubbish.

I wonder if he's a lot better as a heel. Daniel Bryan was fairly crap until his first heel turn, and then evolved into a good babyface.

I really like the face painted demon idea in principle. However it all seems really half arsed. Once this demon is unleashed in him, he paints his face, has a dramtic entrance, but then as soon as he starts wrestling its exactly the same as if he wasn't all demoned up.

Shouldn't he be more vicious, he could even have a different finishing move to normal.

I think he is a decent hand but he doesn't seem to have 'it' for me. The painted demon thing was great when I first saw it but it seems a bit campy now, the leather jacket even more so.

There is something about him, but it isn't that spark. Sadly not the whole package in my humble opinion but still extremely useful to have on your roster.

• Paid Members

I love him unfailingly, because I'm conditioned to do so. I had years of watching him doing his thing in New Japan and loving him and wanting him to win just because I liked watching watching the way he works, so he became my favourite, so now I just get into matches because I cheer for him and want him to win and that because he just IS my favourite. They could be sending him out dressed as Duke "The Dumpster" Devitt and I'd still cheer for him and love his matches just because I have investment because he's my favourite. He just is. No logic or rationale, he's just my favourite.

Well, him or AJ.

I like him but he suffers from the same thing as a lot of the roster in that he comes across far better in out of character stuff than he does on NXT, that little documentary they did about him made him seem really likeable yet all he does on NXT is generic promo #1 and then pull a serious face at the end of it

His matches are usually pretty good so he's got that going for him but as Pitcos pointed out, you can say that about most people on the main roster now so he's going to need more when he moves up, good luck to him though

• Paid Members

Looks the absolute business and is utterly captivating from bell to bell, but he seriously lacks the capacity to do a decent, believable interview.

He’s a good looking, confident, ludicrously talented cunt so he should, by rights, be way more confident on the mic than he is. One of the great mysteries of the grappling game to me right now, is Balor.
I still say in the next year or two he becomes the total package, but for the meantime, it’s that one thing that’s holding me back from shitting absolute egg rolls with excitement whenever I hear his name announced.

Awful lot of usernames with numbers with numbers in this motherfuck.

Awful lot of honkies in here...

• Paid Members

That's about my take on him as well. I was never particularly taken by him dressing up as a dog or whatever on the specials, I find his synchronised prancing entrance stupid, and I don't really buy into anything he does. He's fine in the ring, but that goes for the vast majority of the roster. He's lacking in what they desperately need -- personality. I can't see him ever being a main event guy unless the company has gone to shit. He's another Bret Hart at best.

And his finisher's the fucking Indie Wrestler Stomp that WWE seems to love them all doing. Rubbish.

I wonder if he's a lot better as a heel. Daniel Bryan was fairly crap until his first heel turn, and then evolved into a good babyface.

I think he comes across great in the network stuff. He's genuine, he's bright, he's funny, he talks well and he knows what he wants. He just cannot portray that in his wrestling character which is obviously due to a flaw in him but seems also to be a massive flaw with them in recent years.

Agree with others, in the ring, he's sound. His work is great. He's not going to go anywhere once he's outside the protective arms of NXT though.

Never really bought into him, seen him at a variety of UK promotions and didnt get the hype. When I've seen him NXT, it's the same. Just dont see what is special, there are far better wrestlers out there, with character and personality. Get slated for having this view amongst my more wrestling minded friends, but stomps, multiple drop kicks and strikes are not enthralling.

Balor could really add something different to the main roster mid-card scene right now. Owens has got me excited about the IC title and so would Finn. Everyone keeps saying how moving up to the main roster is killing the steam these NXT stars have, but I can see that in a year/18 months time, the main roster mid-card scene having these "takeover" standard matches! Once this Divas revolution is established to the point where Diva matches aren't the first thing pulled off a show because timing constraints etc, it should be good timing for a Mid-Card revolution kind of movement. Balor, Hideo, Neville, Owens, Sami, Rusev, Cesaro, Bryan, Ambrose could all make such shift for the mid-card scene. Surely that's the transition from NXT.

Archived