TUF 22 Discussion * Team McGregor vs. Team Faber

Egg Shen

Yeah, I want to see Faber vs Dillashaw. It would have a load more heat than Faber vs McGregor.

I want to see McGregor go up to LW after Aldo - he's already got Duffy, Cowboy and RDS lined up but also fights with the likes of Barbosa, Ferguson, Johnson, Alvarez and Iaquinta are mouthwatering. I don't see much left for him at Featherweight other than maybe Frankie Edgar, who would be a bad matchup for him I reckon.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I dunno about there being no hostility. At the peak of him winding them both up, when Conor said Urijah should fight TJ and Urijah angrily said he'd rather fight McGregor, that felt pretty fucking genuine, and Faber did more to sell me on that fight than almost anything Aldo has done to sell me on his. The back and forth between them continues to bounce between harmless fun and genuine annoyance. For instance, you could tell Faber wasn't entirely happy when Conor tried to grab him by the chin.

I don't know, it just feels like Aldo is becoming a distant memory. Luckily, I'm sure I heard or read that they fly him in for one of the final shows. Speaks volumes for Conor though that he's building fights up against practically everyone. They'd have no problem headlining pay per views with him again Aldo, Urijah or TJ after this. Guy is phenomenal.

What was most hilarious was all of Urijah's team telling Conor that he was only talking shit about TJ because he wasn't in earshot, only for Conor to talk even more shit, with an even bigger grin on his face, the moment TJ arrived.

This season has been awesome.

The first part in bold Supremo, the anger for me was due to what exactly Artem said during the show, no one really likes to hear the truth. Faber was getting angry and defensive because it was hitting an open nerve that was obviously knawing away at him. I'm not sure what you expect him to say here? He can't exactly say "Yeah, of course I want that fight and belt" whilst Dillashaw was still part of his team at the time. I'd much prefer to see DIllashaw vs Faber than Faber vs Mcgregor. 

Then the second part. I think you're being harsh on Aldo there. Surely you remember how incredible that world tour was? Whilst Mcgregor was largely responsible, Aldo certainly held up his part of the deal. Then during the go big press conference, he certainly didn't hold back when it came to the staredown. 

Of course I would like to see Faber vs Mcgregor, but it's not an essential fight for me at the moment. 

• Paid Members

I'd be up for McGregor vs Faber and I'm really enjoying this whole season so far. But McGregor vs Faber has nothing on Aldo vs McGregor for me. Aldo vs McGregor is something else. Aldo isn't going to be rattling off soundbites but he's done his part in making the fight a monster in his own way. There's something about the Aldo vs McGregor dynamic that just makes for an electric atmosphere whenever they're anywhere near each other.

Stuff like Aldo's little Clint Eastwood look into the camera after McGregor wrecked Siver...

785W3.jpg

Or his flip of the finger to Conor on the World Tour...

sDuKr.jpg

Just little moments like that piss all over Faber saying 'py-tons' or saying McGregor smells like tuna. As entertaining as the McGregor-Faber stuff has been, it's not on the level of the Aldo-McGregor thing for me. In large part I think that's because I don't see Faber as much of a threat to McGregor. Aldo is a threat. Not only is he a threat, he's the greatest featherweight in MMA history, hands down. And him and McGregor don't like each other and they're going to fight. It's as simple as it gets but it works because they are arguably the two best fighters at 145 on the planet, and they have incredible chemistry as far as having that goosebump effect that makes their eventual fight a must see.

If anything, this season of TUF is making me want to see Dillashaw vs Faber more than McGregor vs Faber. The whole McGregor vs Faber thing seems to be based on McGregor winding Faber up about the Dillashaw/Ludwig stuff more than anything to do with them actually disliking each other or wanting to fight each other.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see McGregor vs Faber. It'd be a lot of fun. But if I was given the choice of only seeing one of either Aldo vs McGregor or Faber vs McGregor...it's the Aldo fight every time. I could live without ever seeing McGregor vs Faber. I'll be fucking gutted if we never see Aldo vs McGregor. It'd be a travesty if that fight slips away. It's perfect in every way - from their styles to the grudge and hype to the rabid fanbases they both bring to the contrast in their personalities - just the perfect fight. Aldo vs McGregor is the one fight I want to see more than any other right now, bar none. And I'm talking MMA, boxing, kickboxing, the lot.

• Paid Members

Love how Conor got the whole of Alpha Male involved in that gym spat. All the big players were there from that gym and Conor punked them all.

Love how the show really makes TJ come off as a bit of a villain, im sure its partly down to the editing but its working brilliantly combined with what Conor is saying.

I wanna see Conor take out Alpha Male one by one.

...oh and no ones even mentioned it but the fight was really good this week too!

• Paid Members

Was this not on again this week?

No idea when it's on now - my Sky planner changed from 3am on a Thursday, to 2am on a Saturday. And I'm not arsed downloading it, since TUF is lucky I'm even bothering watching! If it stops recording, I'll probably stop watching.

Yeah I used to record the Thursday am showing but that didn't happen today. It's certainly not on Saturday morning and doesn't even show up when I do a search on my planner. Shame, I'm quite enjoying this one - Team America were going to implode this week according to the preview goddamit!!

• Paid Members

No show this week due to the World Series. Bullshit. I need my fix of Conor winding everyone up!

Does the US only have 1 bloody TV channel or something!?

You'd think that, in these times of +1 channels and on-demand, you'd be able to screen a baseball game AND something else. Seems the moment some sort of clash happens, shit gets moved to a different slot.

• Paid Members

No show this week due to the World Series. Bullshit. I need my fix of Conor winding everyone up!

Does the US only have 1 bloody TV channel or something!?

You'd think that, in these times of +1 channels and on-demand, you'd be able to screen a baseball game AND something else. Seems the moment some sort of clash happens, shit gets moved to a different slot.

Don't Fox have a load of new channels with no content? What about FS1 or FS2? I assume it's on FS1? So move it to FS2.

It's not the ratings, it's the advertising money.

The cost of the slots plummets when there's a 'distracting factor' that will cause a significant number of people to tune out.

Networks would rather wait a week to maximise their earning potential rather than wasting their adverts on low cost slots, and potentially a lower calibre of ad, when all the money is pointed in one direction.

• Paid Members

It's not the ratings, it's the advertising money.

The cost of the slots plummets when there's a 'distracting factor' that will cause a significant number of people to tune out.

Networks would rather wait a week to maximise their earning potential rather than wasting their adverts on low cost slots, and potentially a lower calibre of ad, when all the money is pointed in one direction.

You've just contradicted yourself Daz. Ratings is exactly the reason as it drives the thing that brings in the money. 

Well, yeah, I did. But mainly because I was rubbish at my point across.

I meant tune out in the sense of, even, flicking over during the adverts to see who's ahead in the World Series

It's not ratings of the programme that necessarily drives the decision, it's the ratings or engagement with the commercials and whether the campaigns will meet their TVR's (or US equivalent).

Archived