TUF 22 Discussion * Team McGregor vs. Team Faber

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeh the Conor/Faber dynamic this year has been quality. Two very different personalities, two very different coaching styles, but its competitive and the banter is great. It's one of the best pairings in years.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I couldn't disagree with your statement any more David regarding it being the same old shit.

As Supremo elaborated earlier, it may be the same dynamic, but if it were the same old shit it would lack the entertainment this one is actually bringing. Previous seasons basically have basically been boring as fuck and this is the first season I haven't given up on after episode 1 or 2 since Rousey vs Tate.

Best episode yet this week. The first half is a Conor McGregor masterclass in shit talking. The tension is team Alpha Male is palpable. Faber and Dillashaw have to get it on.

EDIT - when I was at school way back in the mists of time our school bully wasn't particularly big or hard but he was incredibly confident, cocky and quite cerebral. He had henchmen. The funniest and best fight I ever saw at school was when, at his behest, his henchmen grabbed two weedy nerds from behind grabbing their wrists and making them punch each other. Eventually the weedy kids started getting angry at getting hit, they were able to let go of the wrists and the fight continued in a wild but unskilled manner. This week's episode reminded me of that day with Conor McGregor the bully and TJ and Uriah the weedy kids. 

• Paid Members

A fantastic episode. Conor demolishing everyone with his shit talk was a joy to watch. He makes it look so easy, nobody even comes close to keeping up with him. He's the best ever. Everything that's happened since the filming wrapped just made it even more hilarious.

I've said it before and I'll say it again though; this show is getting dangerously close to making a fight between Urijah and Conor more appealing than the Aldo fight. At this point I wouldn't even be that bothered if Aldo got injured again, provided they (rightly) made Faber the substitute.

• Paid Members

Brilliant episode, but I disagree with you Supremo regarding a fight between McGregor and Faber.

There's no real hostility there, but the banter between the two is hilarious.

Would I like to see them fight? Of course, but it's certainly nowhere near the excitement to finally see Aldo/Mcgregor.

There's even a behind the scenes video interviewing them both where they say they are coming around to each other and enjoy the back and forth.

Going back to McGregor, he was just mesmeric this episode. His trash talk is just on another level, and the whole thing was made even better with what happened last week.

• Paid Members

I dunno about there being no hostility. At the peak of him winding them both up, when Conor said Urijah should fight TJ and Urijah angrily said he'd rather fight McGregor, that felt pretty fucking genuine, and Faber did more to sell me on that fight than almost anything Aldo has done to sell me on his. The back and forth between them continues to bounce between harmless fun and genuine annoyance. For instance, you could tell Faber wasn't entirely happy when Conor tried to grab him by the chin.

I don't know, it just feels like Aldo is becoming a distant memory. Luckily, I'm sure I heard or read that they fly him in for one of the final shows. Speaks volumes for Conor though that he's building fights up against practically everyone. They'd have no problem headlining pay per views with him again Aldo, Urijah or TJ after this. Guy is phenomenal.

What was most hilarious was all of Urijah's team telling Conor that he was only talking shit about TJ because he wasn't in earshot, only for Conor to talk even more shit, with an even bigger grin on his face, the moment TJ arrived.

This season has been awesome.

Archived