Wrestlers you could not stand but now love and vice versa

Snitsky's back acne

Sheamus. Liked him up until his feud with Christian started in 2011, bored by him since.

Heath Slater. Didn't like him at all until he started wrestling the legends on Raw.

Titus O'Neil. Won me over with his mic/interview skills as never liked him in NXT/Nexus.

Sasha Banks. Didn't like her when she debuted but proved me wrong since & she's 1 of my fav divas now.

Bray Wyatt. Liking him less & less all the time currently, too much of the same.

• Paid Members

The most obvious would be DDP. I'm not even sure that I couldn't stand him. I just thought he was a joke. I specifically remember pissing myself laughing at his last WCW Magazine column where he said he something along the lines "Once I'm the U.S or TV Champion, you won't be able to ignore me". Years later, when I could actually watch him wrestle regularly (on the German Channels) he was in boring feuds with the likes of Evad Sullivan, Johnny B.Badd or the Booty Man, with shite like Maxx Muscle hanging around.

I can't actually pinpoint the moment that my opinion on him changed. He just gradually ended up becoming one of my favorite wrestlers. The NWO's recruitment of him was a huge part of it, I suppose, because I remember thinking "They want Page? Fucking hell!" though it was in a "good for him" kind of way.

Other than that, Benoit's murders changed my opinion on a lot of guys. I was a bit of a fapper for a time so I disliked blokes like Nash, Hogan, Cena etc, who I saw as lazy. Now I'm of the opinion that, if you need to half-kill yourself in order to get a reaction from the crowd then you should probably give up and get a normal job.

First the poster long time lurker.

Austin- couldn't get into him at all during 98-99. Was always rooting for HBK or Taker when he was feuding with them. I just found his wrestling style incredibly dull.

Wasn't until he stopped wrestling that I actually began to warm to him.

• Awards Moderator

Big one for me for love-to-not is Mick Foley. It's been covered elsewhere but he went from my second-favourite ever to not being fussed about him at all.

The other way round, probably Kevin Owens. Didn't care for him at all on the indies, now he's a highlight of WWE for me.

Good shouts for Orton and Bray. I think Bray's problem is that he is over used on TV and needs to pop up every now and then much like the Undertaker has. The Family though being back together (well Luke for now) helps his cause a little bit. I guess they still have a MITB potential win and tease and a face turn in him somewhere down the line to help him. 

Randy Orton for me. Used to love the guy in 2004... Fast forward 11 years and he is dull, bland and has the personality of a cucumber

Yeah I adored Evolution Randy. Don't hate him now but do find him quite dull and never understand why Cena gets his obvious backlash but face Randy always gets a pretty unanimous pop. It's quite clear who of the two is more likely to entertain you. In and out of the ring, actually

• Paid Members

X-Pac. Although the 1-2-3 kid was a breath of fresh air, I'd grown tired of his act when he was Syxx in WCW, and despised him by the time he'd returned to the WWF. This was in 1998 and way before 'X-pac heat' was even a thing.

By now though, I can fully appreciate his body of work. 

• Paid Members

This may sound stupid but can some explain how and why the x pac heat thing started 

Some people insist that it's an invention of the Internet but, personally, I thought it was because X-Pac was stale as fuck. He'd been playing the exact same character, almost note for note, since 1996 and people were just bored of it. It was even more glaring given how fresh and exciting the rest of the roster was at the time.

Yeah, X-Pac was still doing DX schtick as late as 2001. For me, X-Factor didn't help matters: the three guys I least wanted to see, together in a group, with that damned theme music.

As mad as it seems, I wasn't particularly bothered by The Rock in 2001 during a fairly prolonged run at the top (I wasn't watching in 1998-early 2000) - thought his schtick was repetitive - but I watched a bunch of the old Wrestlemania main events earlier this year and everything seems so much more of a big deal when the flashy bastard's in the ring. The WM16 main, for example, is at its most dynamic when Rocky's in there selling like mad and throwing punches at the speed of light.

Broadly speaking, I wasn't a fan of World of Sport when I first got back into wrestling, but when I stepped the other side of the curtain, I grew to love the style. Likewise I'm more likely to give a Rick Martel or a Greg Valentine match the time of day now, whereas when I was a kid, they earned more of a "oh for fuck's sake" reaction when they came out.

On the other side, Foley is the obvious one - although I think his good stuff still holds up. Classic example of hanging about until his goodwill had evaporated, I think. I really liked Carlito during the original vignettes, early on in the face turn, and occasionally after that, but it was a struggle to stay interested when he blatantly wasn't. Even during the Money in the Bank matches he was phoning it in.

Archived