Wrestlers you could not stand but now love and vice versa

Snitsky's back acne

So, it must have happened to all of us at some point - you see a wrestler a few times and you just go 'Eurgh, I cannot stand this guy / girl', and not in a 'they are a good villain' way just in a 'get the fuck off my screen with your shitness!' kinda way....and then something happened, either they changed or you changed and suddenly you're like 'I think they're awesome!'.

Of course, that could also work in reverse, going from love to hate, or the 'Adam Rose Effect' as I personally call it.

So, examples people, examples!

I'll start - New Day. 
I HATED them at first - and not in the desired way. I was just like 'Eurgh, none of these guys interest me, their whole schitck is lame' kinda way. Now however, I love them, in the 'they're jack-asses but I think their hokey OTT antics are hilarious' way.

John Cena. I was right in the "Cena sux, he can't wrestle, you're not my real dad, Vince, don't tell me who to like" club when Cena first came to power. Edge cashing in the first Money in the Bank briefcase on him might have been the most excited I've ever been watching wrestling. I was backing Edge all year in their feud, and Rob Van Dam at One Night Stand, and probably Sabu at the PPV after that. I dunno though, Sabu really was shit.

2007 was where it turned around for me and the champ. He was having great matches with all sorts. He got an absolute cracker out of Bobby Lashley, and at that point I had to accept he was great.

It took another couple of years or so before I really became a fan, though, because it seemed like late 2007 to 2009 was just the boring Randy Orton feud over and over. I really started liking him during the Batista feud, and that's where his character (as well as Batista's) truly clicked for me. I was on board with what his fight is. Loved him opposing Nexus, especially when he was their slave. His work as the incumbent facing the darling du jour in the stories with Punk and Bryan was tremendous. And when The Rock came back and couldn't hold a candle to him, I realised Cena might well be the best ever. 

• Paid Members
I'll start - New Day. 

I HATED them at first - and not in the desired way. I was just like 'Eurgh, none of these guys interest me, their whole schitck is lame' kinda way. Now however, I love them, in the 'they're jack-asses but I think their hokey OTT antics are hilarious' way.

Well, you've taken mine already. I hated Kofi with a passion and have never been interested in Big E, but somehow it's worked for me. Superb fun, because they're such half-wits.

The reverse is definitely Chris Jericho. I used to love him, and when he left WWE the first time I felt like there was a big hole left behind. Upon his return, it took a while for him to get going again but as a heel he delivered some good stories and great matches. Every return lessened his impact and now I'm more likely to think "Oh, piss off" if he shows up, because I'm bored senseless of him. It's over, you're too old, let go. (Nobody listens to techno)

either they changed or you changed

Everybody can change!

John Cena. I was right in the "Cena sux, he can't wrestle, you're not my real dad, Vince, don't tell me who to like" club when Cena first came to power. Edge cashing in the first Money in the Bank briefcase on him might have been the most excited I've ever been watching wrestling. I was backing Edge all year in their feud, and Rob Van Dam at One Night Stand, and probably Sabu at the PPV after that. I dunno though, Sabu really was shit.

2007 was where it turned around for me and the champ. He was having great matches with all sorts. He got an absolute cracker out of Bobby Lashley, and at that point I had to accept he was great.

It took another couple of years or so before I really became a fan, though, because it seemed like late 2007 to 2009 was just the boring Randy Orton feud over and over. I really started liking him during the Batista feud, and that's where his character (as well as Batista's) truly clicked for me. I was on board with what his fight is. Loved him opposing Nexus, especially when he was their slave. His work as the incumbent facing the darling du jour in the stories with Punk and Bryan was tremendous. And when The Rock came back and couldn't hold a candle to him, I realised Cena might well be the best ever. 

I had my Cena sucks phase too, but I'm not sure it counts because it came after my buying a Word Life chain phase

Mark Henry. Was the absolute drizzling poopy for years, then suddenly he just clicked with me, probably in 2011 when he started doing the Hall of Pain thing, and that fake retirement speech to Cena just sent him over the top for me.

A recent example for me has to be Rusev. I thought he was just another Kozlov type but I was really pleased when he started having really good heated matches a few months in with Swagger and the rest of the midcard. By the time Mania came around he was well deserving of a featured match with Cena.

• Paid Members

The recent person I have a real up and down thing with is Bray Wyatt, he went from being the best new guy I'd seen in ages to my worst thing in WWE within a year or so. Him being an interesting upper midcard act with the right opponents has seen me enjoying him more in the last few months again.

Samoa Joe. I used to love him 10 years ago but after his matches with Kurt Angle when he first arrived in TNA. But since then I think he's done fuck all and I pretty much hate him now. He hasn't changed anything about his in-ring style or moveset, his promos are just him rambling and even his attire is practically the same.

Oh wait he did change in 2009, with his short lived Nation of Violence gimmick which was atrocious.

I'm probably going to get shit for this now.

• Paid Members

Dusty Rhodes.

When I first saw him I was too young to really appreciate how good he was. It wasn't until I revisited some if his promos and match's with flair a few years later I got into him and looked up more, which made me look up more and so on.

Sheamus - I HATED him when he came in as the usual boring heel destroying tiny people like Jamie Noble, then I eventually after 2 years learned to like the guy when he was a face... then as a heel he just becomes shit again. I know he has NO ability whatsoever to get over but I do kinda like him as a face, but nah not anymore. I see zero interest in him now.

On the flipside - Dolph Ziggler - I hated him for a few years after he debuted but I never really gave him chance but then as he started to shine in his matches he grew on me and now I cheer everytime he comes out when I watch a live show. Dudes awesome

I couldn't bear Wade Barrett for years after he debuted, and I especially hated the weird unspoken agreement to pretend that the Nexus were good which every other fan in the world seemed to be in on. I've never seen so bad a talker as 2010 Wade given such a prominent role before or since. Why the fuck did they have such a hard on for this tedious wool with his arse aching, over pronounced promos?

Then about three years of directionless languishing later they gave him a load of fun gimmicks and he seemed to start enjoying himself. Bad News King Barrett is one of the highlights of the midcard now, love the guy.

Booker T and Bradshaw - never liked either of them from their respective tag teams as Harlem Heat and APA and never liked their initial singles runs.

Not until Booker became King Booker and Bradshaw became JBL / John "Bradshaw" Layfield did I like them, and I really liked them. It was the first time I found their characters interesting enough to care about their matches.

Triple H. Between 1998 and around 2011, I couldn't stand him. Thought he was boring, no character, just dull. Could never figure out why he was so popular and over.

Absolutely love him now, as a character, and as a wrestler when he turns up (see WM30)

Archived