Wooly Mammoths To Make A Return Jurassic Park Style?

Bettencourt

• Paid Members

Just heard on the radio that scientists in Sweden have fully recreated the DNA of Wooly Mammoths. It is thought that they can eventually bring them back from extinction.

There are many groups opposed to this but scientists at Harvard University have already started trying to mix that DNA with the DNA of elephants.

Anyone confident that Wooly Mammoths will return and we can end up with our own Jurassic Park situation?

• Paid Members

No, hold on Nuno. This isn't some species that was obliterated by deforestation, or the building of a dam. Wooly Mammoths had their shot, and nature...uuhhh...selected them for extinction.

Seriously though, yes, I think it a beautiful idea and I hope we do end up with something akin to Jurassic Park in our lifetimes.

• Awards Moderator

No, hold on Nuno. This isn't some species that was obliterated by deforestation, or the building of a dam. Wooly Mammoths had their shot, and nature...uuhhh...selected them for extinction.

Seriously though, yes, I think it a beautiful idea and I hope we do end up with something akin to Jurassic Park in our lifetimes.

I know you were quoting Goldblum there, but early man hunting mammoths down - particularly in North America, I think - was a significant factor in them being wiped out! It's people's fault! Well, at least partly.

I'd love to see a real life mammoth, abomination against nature or not, I'm all for this. If they can use the same techniques to bring back other extinct species that were definitely wiped out by man, that'd be fantastic - though I understand the mammoth thing is more achievable due to the condition of frozen specimens.

I know you were quoting Goldblum there, but early man hunting mammoths down - particularly in North America, I think - was a significant factor in them being wiped out! It's people's fault! Well, at least partly.

I'd love to see a real life mammoth, abomination against nature or not, I'm all for this. If they can use the same techniques to bring back other extinct species that were definitely wiped out by man, that'd be fantastic - though I understand the mammoth thing is more achievable due to the condition of frozen specimens.

There have been several mammoths recovered from the permafrost in Siberia, completely intact, with food still in their stomachs. Undoubtedly, humans did have a part in it, but the "flash-freezing" suggests that some catastrophic events must have dealt the biggest blow to the population. I did a quick google search and found this article: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mammoths.html

I first heard about this stuff from Joe Rogan's podcast. One of the episodes with Randall Carlsson (I forget which) which I would highly recommend to anyone who is interested in this sort of thing.

• Paid Members

I remember seeing an interview on this a few months back and when they spoke about bringing the Mammoth back it was mentioned that it is actually impossible, as the first incarnation would have to be born from an elephant, meaning cross fertilisation would take place and a pure Woolly Mammoth would never happen.

Unless they can be grown in a petri dish it's not happening, just another species moulded from Mammoth and Elephant would exist.

There was also talk that the lack of Elephants in the world would mean it would be a constant risk to impregnate them with Mammoth genes, as they do not know about the Elephants health whilst carrying a mammoth. Do you potentially damage the declining population of Elephants just to bring back an animal we've already helped wipe out.

Would love to see it mind.

Archived