AJ Lee retires

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

They had to. With all the lawsuits throwing each others way between Punk and WWE, they'd have left themselves open if they showed in anyway they were burying her because of who her husband was. They needed to play nice with her for their own leverage.

As far as her retirement, she was no Lita. Never a fan and Paige is 50 times more likable with far more upside. So wont me missed by me (like I'm sure she cares.)

• Paid Members

I was fairly ambivalent to her for most of her run, except when she was wrestling Paige, because I am heavily invested in Paige. And if I'm honest, even though it won't have been her decision, I'm really annoyed that with everyone knowing she was on her way out after Mania, that she wasn't doing one last favour for Paige, either in singles or in a four-way for the belt with the Bella Twats. I know Paige has beaten AJ cleanly before, but she had become top babyface Diva by default in AJ's absence and a clean fall on the biggest PPV of the year was the biggest rub they could have gotten off AJ on her way out.... and they didn't. Pissed me off a treat.

So yeah, I don't much care that she's done. Although with Paige as top face and the Bellas in the box seat, there are no fresh matches in the gals division. It's a shame Sasha is NXT champ and no doubt Charlotte is coming up first, because their run revisited on the main stage is massively appealing to me right now.

• Paid Members

The skipping always pissed me off. Never really set the screen alight for me either. Obviously she was popular in the back, which is why she was kept around so long.

And by popular I meant loose as a goose.

• Paid Members

Do kids even skip around like that anymore? That skipping should have gone when the tartan outfits did, it didn't really suit the Avril Lavigne thing that her character moved on to. Have to agree with the earlier comment that AJ Lee was no Lita but did the unhinged gimmick really well. I wonder if she might attempt a similar career path to her husband.

• Paid Members

I wonder if she might attempt a similar career path to her husband.

That would be fun. Because he's going to get his head kicked in, and so would she.

Reckon she's done with WWE completely? The wording suggested she might stick around, just not in ring. 

I'm wondering if it means they've taken her off TV, but are keeping her under contract (hence she's not released) so she (a) can't argue they screwed her out of her guaranteed money or (b) go off and do anything else.

It's some weird legal chess game basically.

The only good thing about her was her skipping to the ring used to remind me to press skip on the remote when she was on. She was absolutely awful and smug as anything. Also don't have to deal with her incredibly annoying theme music anymore hopefully.

i imagine she wanted to quit over the whole Punk thing, but WWE wouldn't let her as she's under contract. So her only way to break the contract legally is to retire.

Not quite following the logic there to be honest...

"I quit."

"You can't. You're under contract."

"Well I retire then."

"Damn. Well played."

Archived