Vince appears at Smackdown taping...Not Happy!

Krytie 2X4B 523P

• Paid Members

I've heard that said about foreign markets being the main reason for matches matches matches matches. I think places like China and India are their biggest growth markets so that seems to be driving certain decisions. Might be bullshit, but pretty sure even John Cena was quoted as saying something to that effect when he was on Steve Austin's podcast. It's the reason he's learning to speak Mandarin. Maybe the company's attitude is why bother investing creative energies in improving the quality of the product for your hardcore, loyal fanbase when you can just sell easy-to-make, nothing-to-write shite to that lot overseas.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's the foreign TV thing. Dolph Ziggler and Cesaro aren't going to sell a PPV/network subscription by talking about their upcoming match, so it makes sense to have them just wrestle and then any territory can put their own commentary on it. Makes the product more viable internationally, and they still do character stuff with the top handful of guys who do move numbers. I fucking hate it, mind.

• Moderators

And it says how much Ricardo must have fucked them off when he was doing pretty much every on-screen TV job for Hispanic viewers and they STILL let him go.

I heard Regal's speech a million times, so I could tell it.

• Paid Members

So I was thinking about the way in which they film TV over here, recording both RAW and Smackdown in the same building, usually with RAW being mostly full and Smackdown being half empty the following night.

Wouldn't it make sense to do some sort of combo ticket, where if you buy tickets for both RAW and Smackdown you get some type of discount? Or maybe on the night of RAW, when you've still got tonnes of Smackdown tickets to shift, offer them at a discount if people buy them on their way out, or if they produce their RAW ticket at the box office the following day?

At the very least it seems a better idea than to just tarp off half the building and have Vince throw a fit.

• Paid Members

It happens every time they come to the UK, as far as I'm aware. April and November. It's definitely happened at previous Manchester and Liverpool tapings. I assume it happens elsewhere in the UK too. Isn't that the reason they brought Taker over for the Smackdown taping last year?

I only went to the November tapings in 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011, and the only time I remember the place being literally half empty for Smackdown was Liverpool in 2011. It's not the kind of thing I notice on TV though, they shoot around it, so I'd not heard of it being a regular thing now. Makes sense though. They did bring Undertaker over for the spring one last year, and Hogan this year.

It happens every time now in April/May and October/November, even in London.  I think Liverpool in 2011 was the first time I remember it being the case, but other than possibly London in 2012, I am sure it's been that way every time since then.  Even going back since they started in 2004, Smackdown's always had a smaller crowd though.

Archived