Looking for something to watch this Halloween?

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd say Mario Bava's best film is A Bay of Blood. Definitely worth a look as it inspired a lot of later slasher films. Fulci is hit and miss for me. Zombie Flesh Eaters is my all time favourite zombie film. City of the Living Dead is a bit shit, though it does have a woman literally throwing her guts up so it's not all bad. Argento has done some superb films. Suspiria, Inferno, Tenebre, Deep Red, all favourites of mine. He's also done some right old crap like The Card Player, Terror at the Opera and The Stendhal Syndrome.

See, I didn't love Bay of Blood, although I didn't hate it, either. Planet of the Vampires is a cracker, but I'd say Blood and Black Lace is my favorite Bava film.

• Paid Members

Lisa and the Devil is a broken film, although people pretend that the original, non-House of Exorcism version is aces — it's not, it was a product of hubris on Bava's part, and he got burned. Not the kind of film he could get right. The original version built up some kind of mystique over the years that isn't merited. On the other hand, I personally think all the talk of Rabid Dogs almost downplayed how good it is.

Black Sunday I like a lot, but it's very dated. Bava, in some ways, is Fulci without the support staff but with bags more personal talent — he had to fight and scrimp to get directing jobs and get his vision on the screen, and it leads to some unevenness in output. I stand by prime Bava being better in lots of ways than Argento, even at his best.

I've got Threads lined up for Halloween. A Grauniad article reminded me just how many sleepless nights that gave me as a pre-teen, interested to see how it holds up. I suspect the missus will never speak to me again if it maintains a fraction of its impact.

• Paid Members

:"Threads" still hits the spot. I bet people were shitting themselves when that got shown. Excellently done. I remember we done a few projects about the film for English at school for some reason.

Definately better than the US version "The Day After" with Jason Robards.

• Moderators

I'm totally not surprised by that. I was born in 1985, so I just missed all nuclear pant shitting mindframes, but I still couldn't sleep after watching Threads as a child, to the neurotic extent of moving my bed so it wasn't near a window so that if for some reason the bomb did go off and I slept through the 4 minute warning or there wasn't one, I wasn't going to get twatted with glass and stuff and heat from the blast.

• Paid Members

I'm doing a Shocktober myself this year. I usually scoff a load of horror in October, but this year, I'm watching at least one first-watch horror a night. I'll share what I've seen so far when I get a minute.

I've been eyeing this thread as I generally don't watch a lot of horror and feel like a change in my viewing habits.

Also, as my sister's been polluting my FB wall with Frocktober, I can see how she likes it.

• Paid Members

Threads was only part of the hysteria at the time. We had drills in school of where to go when (not if) the sirens went off, told it would be first come first in the bunkers underneath, and all given survival guides. In the bunkers there were thousands of tins of beans. If the radiation didn't get you, the frogging methane would have.

All we looked forward to at that time was shagging. Then AIDS arrived......

Archived