Looking for something to watch this Halloween?

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Easily if the rest of the film is crap.

Ok it's no Night of the Living Dead but it's great fun.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I just think he's crap. At first I thought it was Italian horror I had an issue with but I love Argento, Soavi and Lamberto Bava. His murders are stupidly slow and have no tension in them at all, the music is usually terrible, there's absolutely no narrative connection in his films, plus the spider scene in The Beyond is one of the stupidest, slowest and most idiotic scenes I've ever seen. I hate him and don't even get me started on Rabid Dogs either.

Deep Red on the other hand was absolutely amazing, and Cemetery Man was quality too.

• Paid Members

Deep Red is a masterpiece. Argento really was the man back then. There's no question Fulci wasn't in his league IMO. I find Argentos fall from grace astonishing though.

• Paid Members

I just think he's crap. At first I thought it was Italian horror I had an issue with but I love Argento, Soavi and Lamberto Bava. His murders are stupidly slow and have no tension in them at all, the music is usually terrible, there's absolutely no narrative connection in his films, plus the spider scene in The Beyond is one of the stupidest, slowest and most idiotic scenes I've ever seen. I hate him and don't even get me started on Rabid Dogs either.

Deep Red on the other hand was absolutely amazing, and Cemetery Man was quality too.

Mario Bava's Rabid Dogs?

And aye, Fulci vs. Argento isn't a fair comparison — Argento was practically carried into the film industry in Italy on a silk cushion compared to a journeyman like Fulci, who struck gold with the team he had around him, and ran with it for a good while. Argento was given a lot more to work with, and is a much smarter director — he could blame some of his woes on the downfall of Italian cinema, but he's thrown his talent away — there's a very steep decline there.

• Paid Members

I'd say Mario Bava's best film is A Bay of Blood. Definitely worth a look as it inspired a lot of later slasher films.

Fulci is hit and miss for me. Zombie Flesh Eaters is my all time favourite zombie film. City of the Living Dead is a bit shit, though it does have a woman literally throwing her guts up so it's not all bad.

Argento has done some superb films. Suspiria, Inferno, Tenebre, Deep Red, all favourites of mine. He's also done some right old crap like The Card Player, Terror at the Opera and The Stendhal Syndrome.

• Paid Members

I've seen A Bay Of Blood and it was boring.

No. No it's not.

As a slasher geek myself I thought A Bay of Blood was fascinating but I can see how someone less inclined to like slashers would think it was a bore. Talking of Italian Horror there's a Documentary on BBC Iplayer right now called Horror Europa with Mark Gatiss. I've yet to watch it but some of you might be interested.

This week I've delving into my 200 Blu-ray slasher movie collection and watched a bunch. Graduation Day, Girls Gone Dead, Bikini Girls on Ice, Dead Man's Shoes, Curse of Chucky and Don't Open Til Christmas in the last few days.

If your a fan of slasher movies and fancy something to watch this Halloween check out my collection in the link below and I can tell you if its worth a watch IMO.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=117871&action=showcategory&category=8757&categoryid=7

• Paid Members

The first three Mark Gatiss' History of Horror documentaries are on Youtube too. They're all brilliant.

Part I: Frankenstein goes to Hollywood

Part II: Home Counties Horror

Part III: The American Scream

Awesome I love me a good doc.

Archived