Whats been the most successful british card in the last 25 years?

RancidPunx

Is Drew Galloway considered an import or local? I know he was a local guy but surely now alot of his appeal and drawing is being an ex-wwe star

Isn't he still living in the US? I'm sure he said on Jericho's podcast that he is represented by Bill Berhans and he has a green card thanks to his marriage.

If that's the case, I think you can class him as an import

Re: Cabana at Uprising 3, he was touring over here before the show. I saw him the second (and final IWP show (which I think was run by Stevie Knoght). Can't for the life of me remember who he was against that night though

It was against Dirk Feelgood.

Stevie's IWP shows were fantasic business, too, doing very large crowds with very few large costs

I thought I remembered it as Five Star Flash? Same show as D'lo Brown V Burchill

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say that at the time Revival was the biggest card in Britain, it built everything that was to come in the future with the simple fact that Guerrero headlining being a major deal. But since, there have been cards that have out-shinned Revival. Im talking about the Uprisings as well as the two Coventry shows.

But if you look at the International Showdown and Universal Uproar, Showdowns card was leaps and bounds better than the latter.

Therefore Showdown wins for me.

• Paid Members

Thanks for the Uprising 3 info Mark, interesting stuff.

"I have a little present here for ya'll" and slides a signed Brooke Hogan CD across the table to each of us. The guys from Dolphin didn't know WTF was going on.

:laugh:  Give an exec a signed Brooke Hogan CD, they'll be putty in your hands.

• Paid Members

Thanks for the Uprising 3 info Mark, interesting stuff.

"I have a little present here for ya'll" and slides a signed Brooke Hogan CD across the table to each of us. The guys from Dolphin didn't know WTF was going on.

:laugh:  Give an exec a signed Brooke Hogan CD, they'll be putty in your hands.

Even myself & Jody (the other TWC guy) binned ours!

• Paid Members

LOL £24,000 - I still smile every time Ian quotes this fiction.

I'm not having a go, so please accept my apologies if I'm believing what seems to quite an unreal sum. I'm only going by what I read from someone involved in it. I'm far more inclined to believe you, since you were involved in it to a larger degree and are quoting figures, so thanks for the correction.

Anyway, WrestleXpress should be the answer to the question the OP posed. By far my favourite bit of BritWres ever. They had announced they were running the Wembley Arena before they even had the show (a show they wouldn't even run). I love WrestleXpress so much. Such hilarious stuff.

Nah, don't be silly, I don't think you are having ago, that was what was printed. It's the sheer absurdity of the suggestion, as you can see by the sums it wasn't possible.

Wrestle-express had some INCREDIBLE stories which haven't been heard as far as I know, Alex in particular had some classics about meetings held before the show was properly announced and stuff. It was a crazy time for sure.

• Paid Members

25 years as a cutoff point kind of changes things as it covers the last few years where All Star was still living off the TV exposure. Don't know about the biggest crowds then, but Nagasaki-Rocco supposedly did well, and I know of a show in 1990 the sold out the 2,000 seat Colston Hall and wasn't considered a spectactularly unusual success.

If you bring it forward to the past 20 years, I think if Fightmare did 2,000, that might be the biggest crowd for a show that was predominantly British and where the imports weren't a major selling point. The biggest actual number I've seen claimed for a "British" promotion (as opposed to something like International Showdown which was based on imports) is 3,000-odd for a Mickey Francis show in Manchester, but I seem to recall that may have involved "tributes" and was certainly boosted by advertising Ricky Hatton who wasn't there on the night.

ICW seems to be getting great reviews but i'm not sure what kinda numbers they are doing.

ICW's regular venues range from 600-1300....most shows sell out within weeks. the Barrowlands is 2000 and has sold out with around a month before the show, with only one match announced.

3,000-odd for a Mickey Francis show in Manchester, but I seem to recall that may have involved "tributes" and was certainly boosted by advertising Ricky Hatton who wasn't there on the night.

Forgot all about this guy, I remember he used to post photos with a replica WCW belt and claim to be friends with Goldberg, Rock and Austin.

the-guvnor-01.jpg

A nasty piece of work as well so I hear, being involved with some slightly more dodgy activity other than conning fans at wrestling shows. 

• Moderators

Was the Guv'nor one in the Velodrome?

Easily the worst show I ever went to was one he put on in Wrexham. At first it was so bad it was just funny. Then the "German" started doing Nazi salutes and it was just uncomfortable and I felt dirty for paying to be there. Also the ring announcer threw off his jacket and did a "Put up your dukes" at one of the villains and that's my least favourite thing in wrestling ever.

• Paid Members

If you ignore the money side of things and just look at crowd numbers, has anyone during this period done more than the reported 4,000 for PCW when they did a free show in Preston City Centre? I know Butlins Minehead has a 5,000 seat venue, but I'm not sure if All Star uses that when it runs at the camp.

Archived